It's a DOG THING

michele

Hi Guy's and Girl's, I Know before you all state the obvious & the answer is NO I cannot get this search thing correct . So I am looking for help in easy to understand plain no nonsence english That would be awarded the kite mark for clarity. Please help with taking the dog abroad where do I start . Is it expensive , what's the first port of call the vet. How long do I wait. Do I have to have a sucession of jab's.(me or the dog) How long before we can take her away. Where do I go to get back in the country Please any info appreciated . Sadly the other dog died and we are determined to take this one with us. thank you to you all (lol)

I have quickly written a very simple word doc on how to use the Search facility. Not sure if this is going to work but if it does you will need MS Word to open the doc. It is simplified stuff with pictures. Hope it helps.
If it doesnt work I will ask a moderator what to do so that I can give you access to the document

Don , Thanks for that I will have a look . Bobeye , I have received your Doc & have read it i don't have trouble with opening it thanks . However I do have trouble with what I put in the search ? Do I put dog travel pet passport . Lost sorry about this . :-(

I started with "pets abroad", so whatever you can think of. However I would try to be specific with your text.
Try:
"dogs abroad"
"Travelling abroad with a dog" etc.
But the site that Don referred to is a pretty good place to start.
Also you will find your local vet is a good source of information too.

Guy's thanks for all your help . Off to do some research now. one more question if I may We go by the shuttle to france often we do one of these book 10 crossings for £ 300 a year . When booking is that when I would have to declare the dog ? or wait until I get asked by the staff at the shuttle. Do I pay for th dog / or does she come across with us in the van free. Sorry to seem real silly on the subject. :-( yes I will need a good jab or two by the time I have got through this minefield ha ha .

1. TAKE DOG TO VET FOR RABIES JAB. 2. AFTER ONE MONTH DOG HAS BLOOD TEST, IF RABIES VACINNE HAS TAKEN, THEN YOU WILL BE GIVEN PET PASSPORT. 3. YOU HAVE TO WAIT 6 MONTHS BEFORE YOU CAN TAKE DOG AND BRING IT BACK INTO COUNTRY AFTER A VISIT TO THE VET IN THE COUNTRY YOU ARE RETURNING FROM TO SIGN THE PASSPORT. THE VET CHARGED ME £160 FOR THE ADMIN AND TREATMENT WHICH I THOUGHT WAS REASONABLE.

Michelle Allow extra time in case your dog, like one of ours, fails the blood test! They then have to be revaccinated and re blood tested. They can return to this country six months after the clear blood test. You can go out whenever you like but cannot return until six months after the clear blood test. The blood test is to make sure the vaccine has reached a high enough level to give the dog enough protection. The vet will give you the dog's passport once the blood test has been passed. At Dover you go into a special area and they check all your documents. You should declare the dog because guess what - they charge for checking documents. On return you need to find a vet no longer than 48 hours before your re entry into britain. this vet will check your documents and give your dog a treatment for ticks and worms. There are some nasty ones that we do not want over here. The tick treatment is Frontline and the french vet we went to used droncit for the worms in an injectable form. I wish that I had taken my own drugs and tried to get the vet to sign that they had been given because I used to get them at a discount!! On re-entry to UK the documents will be chcked that the dog had a clear blood test six months ago or longer and has recently been treated for ticks and worms. Ask your vet for advice on the diseases that are prevelant in the area you are visiting and any precautions that you can take against them. We took our two dogs through France to Spain last winter and had no problems at all. Have fun Pat

The whole process takes about 9-10 months. If you have a chat with your vet they will have a DEFRA 'pack' about the procedures here and what is required before you return to the UK from Abroad. Remember that some Vets do not recognise the beasties which might travel back on your pet so do some research first in symptoms and causes of foreign insect bites etc.; also make sure that you can take dogs to cafes etc. as leaving a dog alone in a strange, hot country might be stressful all round. France is dog friendly but don't know about anywhere else. Think of all those wonderful stretches of beach for dogs to run free; think of those wonderful mountains where they can sniff for hours whilst you sit and watch the snow 'up there' :-D Where are you thinking of travelling too?

Hi Michelle Firstly, as has been said, you need to get the dog vaccinated and blood tested - after which you will be able to bring the dog back into the country after six months has elapsed - providing the blood test is ok. Your dog also has to have a microchip fitted if it doesn't already have one. Vets costs (here and abroad) differ but for the above treatment and microchipping we paid around £180 and that includes the lab test costs (which are around £60 themselves!). That done you will receive a proper passport from your vets which has simplified the paperwork no end. When you book the tunnel you have to declare the dog and it will cost you £30 (per dog) which covers the cost of the paperwork and checking on both sides of the tunnel. The check and treatment by the French vet has to be carried out BETWEEN 24 and 48 hours before you travel back. So, if you were booked on a 10 am train on the Friday you need to see the vet NO EARLIER THAN 10 am on Wednesday and NO LATER THAN 10 am on Thursday. Sounds complicated but it's just a matter of forward planning and being organised. There are many French vets around the area who will be able to do the treatment (make sure they do fill in the form correctly at the time of the treatment) and most speak english. If you want any recommendations PM or e-mail me and I will give you the details of those we have used in the past. The treatment cost 40 euro last year for the two dogs. At the French end of the tunnel just watch out for the signs directing those with pets to the special customs office set aside where you can parkand take the dog/documents in for examination. Once all that is done you can take your place on the train and settle down with the dog in the cab with you (instead of down in the ships' hold) for the 35 minute journey in the comfort of your own vehicle. We think it is the only way to go with our two - even for the extra money!! Finally, the only other thing to remember is that your dog will need a booster jab. There had been correspondence previously on the forum about exactly when this should be done. It certainly used to be every year but the newer Rabisin vaccines (which the vet uses on ours) only needs to be done every two years. A great many French vets use other vaccines which still need annual vaccinations If you are worried at all about it some people have the booster done annually anyway - but, providing your pet passport has the correct date of re-vaccination on it, there shouldn't be any problem. Good luck, David

Michelle You might like to shop around for the cost of the Pet Passport vaccination etc, at our original vet it would've cost around £180.00 per dog, at our new vet it was only around £130.00 - we changed because we didn't trust the original vets anymore as they had changed hands and weren't as user friendly or competent and the cheaper price was a bonus. The cost of the dog on ferries and train varies between £25-30 (return), the staff usually ask you to scan the dog yourself now for the microchip - probably too many got bitten!!!! They then check this against the passport - it can be a bit fraught when the microchip has moved as it has on our "Midge the Squidge", but we eventually found it down his leg! Phew! As an aside, don't forget to take plenty of dog food with you, you can buy it abroad of course but it's not usually the same as you get at home and the last thing you need is a dog with a jippy tummy because he's not used to the food ... not fun in a motorhome I can assure you!!! :-(

Hi, Due to the time of our ferry booking,we had to pay the French vet an extra €50 to jab the dog on a Sunday. We've learned that lesson. However, he did ask if we already had the necessary medicines. We still had a pack from our previous dog (dec Our dog popped his chip within minutes of it being inserted. Luckily the vet noticed it lying on his fur, so was able to put it back in. So everytime we visit the vet we ask him to check the microchip. Its always there.....but the girl in the kiosk at Calais coudn't find it. Eventually I had a go, and eventually found it.....but breaths were batted for a few minutes. You can buy, and use, your own microchip reader but I understand they are expensive. Get the vet to show you exactly where he injects the chip. In France, you can take your dog into a resuarant, if you want to. You will also get a round of applause when you use a TESCO bag for the last time. 602

Jack Jack , Nice to see you the header is it's a dog thing NOT SHEEP but that is not to say I have not missed Dolly Bleetttttttttt Guy's thanks for all your help I really appreciate it. W ent to the vet's last night and will have it next week starting with the micro chip. Once again thanks for all the info .....You clever lot ;-)

Jack Jack , Nice to see you the header is it's a dog thing NOT SHEEP but that is not to say I have not missed Dolly Bleetttttttttt Guy's thanks for all your help I really appreciate it. W ent to the vet's last night and will have it next week starting with the micro chip. Once again thanks for all the info .....You clever lot ;-) Sorry I was looking at DOLLY

Hi David lloyd, David what do you mean they charge you £30 at the tunnel. I dont mind what is this for I can see your explanation . What am I actually paying for The vet to check the papers or the staff at the check in (sorry ) Also Pat P I think said go to a vets no more than 48 hours. Does this mean I have to be back near Calais 48hours before and stay at the shuttle until boarding Sorry really dumb blonde here. Please clarify guy's help Oh and THANKYOU ALL

[QUOTE]michele - 2006-11-24 11:27 PM Hi David lloyd, David what do you mean they charge you £30 at the tunnel. I dont mind what is this for I can see your explanation . What am I actually paying for The vet to check the papers or the staff at the check in (sorry ) Also Pat P I think said go to a vets no more than 48 hours. Does this mean I have to be back near Calais 48hours before and stay at the shuttle until boarding Sorry really dumb blonde here. Please clarify guy's help Oh and THANKYOU ALL[/QUOTE] Hi Michelle The £30 (per dog) is to pay for the 'extra' administration involved in checking the microchip, paperwork etc at the tunnel - the vet in France will charge you for the treatment he/she gives at the time of treatment. You do have to have the vet treatment carried out NO LATER than 24 hours and NO SOONER than 48 hours before your departure time. In other words, if you are departing at 10 am on Wednesday you have to have the treatment carried out BETWEEN 10 am on Monday and 10 am on Tuesday. You don't have to at Calais to have this done either. You can use a vet on the way back somewhere convenient - as long as you plane to have it done within the appropriate times. This year we had ours done at a vet in St Omer. Best regards, David

David, Thank you for replying I have it now . I have to go back next week . The dog has just been put on Antibiotics due to her weeing blood. Thought something was wrong when she had an accident on the bedroom floor .She is not dirty by nature anyways turned out to be a urine infection. hence the biotics. The Vet told me to come back after the course. Its all a panic what with losing the other one recently at 6 no rhyme or reason and I didnt want to have her cut open to know the reason either. Still these things are sent to try us. Once again thanks.

Hi Michelle, we've been to France twice with our 2 dogs and everything went smoothly. We take them via the tunnel as we don't want to have to leave them alone. The only thing I would add to the very good advice you've had so far is to recommend this website: http://www.dogsaway.co.uk/index.htm. They provided us with a free leaflet and some advice on protecting our dogs from foreign nasties such as the sand fly which our own vet didn't warn us about. Good luck and enjoy.

Archived