Always disconnect the battery on my Rapido?!

Paul in Brum

Hi folks. Newbie here. I posted this in hints and tips and whilst getting some great advice it was suggested I post it here.

I've just bought a used Rapido 962M (02 plate). Super chuffed. The couple I bought from explained they always disconnect the main battery (engine, B1) to stop it draining when on site, as it continually tops up the leisure battery (B2). There's a solar panel fitted.

Are they right or just over cautious?

Surely when not hooked up, B2 will be topped up by the panel and when it runs down a drive around will charge it up again (or hooking up)?

I hired a new motorhome last year for the summer and it was fine in this way and didn't have a solar panel to top it up. But the couple were clear - B1 can drain and needs disconnecting at every stop.

I've had a read of the manual and it talks about the two batteries working together but nothing to suggest the scenario from the previous owners.

Any and all advice gratefully received.

Sounds to us like you have a fault?

If the Starter battery is healthy, it should take weeks to drop to a low voltage.

We have come across a couple of Solar Power Installations that used a Battery Master style device that had developed a fault. The battery master was back feeding the habitation battery from the Starter battery.

We also encountered a case where the Battery Master was connected incorrectly, again the power being stolen from the Starter battery to feed the Habitation battery once the habitation battery voltage dropped below that of the Starter battery.

All other times the habitation battery stayed up above the voltage threshold that triggered the battery master to kick in. The Starter drain only happened while on site but not any other time, because that was the only time the habitation battery dropped low to trigger the battery master to steal power in the wrong direction. Took ages to find what was wrong.

We couldn't understand why the Starter battery remained perfectly charged in storage, but died when on site.

Check how the Solar Installation has been done, very few (even professional fit ones) are rarely 100% in line with the Motorhome/ Electronics manufacturer recommendations.

See here for advice on what to look for : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/solar-power.php

Hi, That advice is suspect, I fitted a solar Panel (110amp) to my Rapido, the feed is split via a regulator the Main feed to the two 110amp Leisure batteries I have installed,  the other secondary feed I've take directly (through a 25amp fuse) to the Engine battery, so when the Leisure Batteries are charge it auto changes over to charging the Engine battery,  the factory  set up of my Rapido is that when on hook up the leisure battery is charge and then it auto switches over to charge the engine battery, so the engine battery should never really go flat unless there is a fault.

Corky, As you will note, in the first line we suggest there is a fault?

You probably fitted a dual battery regulator? Most older Professional fits are with a single Solar regulator to the habitation battery.

A battery master style device is then used to steal power from the habitation battery to the Starter battery whenever the Habitation battery goes above 13.2v. Not unknown for these to fail.

aandncaravan - 2016-04-29 3:57 PMCorky, As you will note, in the first line we suggest there is a fault?You probably fitted a dual battery regulator? Most older Professional fits are with a single Solar regulator to the habitation battery. A battery master style device is then used to steal power from the habitation battery to the Starter battery whenever the Habitation battery goes above 13.2v. Not unknown for these to fail.
I did see your post mentioning a Battery fault, I wasn't trying to steal your Thunder so to speak, I was just stating what the set up is on my Rapido, to perhaps help which just supported your Post really, No offence meant.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived