Best site for Barcelona

dicksob

Morning, we are booked on the Plymouth to Santander ferry at the beginning of June. Planning to drive to Barcelona (looks a straightforward route by motorway?) where we would like to spend a few days before pottering our way back along the coast and up through France. Looking for a site with easy connection to Barcelona, thinking of Villanova(??), but have never stayed in this area before. Recommendations on sites, journey or hints would be much appreciated.

Thanks Bill

Villanova is a very large site and does have a bus from the site gate direct into Barcelona. The facilities are good but the downsides are that being busy there is a lot of 'on site entertainment', so if you enjoy the kids gettinglots of loud music at 4 pm onwards and then the full evening programme, be careful where you pitch, although you often do not get much choice. Also a lot of pitches are bare ground under trees and can be a bit gloomy. It is a lso a popular site for rallies. Not trying to knock it too much, but we would only use it for an overnight stop nowadays.

Stayed on this site last week with absolutely no problems http://www.camping3estrellas.com/

Bus stop virtually at the gate and frequent service.

Believe it or not I was disappointed with Barca. 28 euros on sight seeing bus trip and not impressed as the route was a bit mediocre. Started off upstairs but it was absolutely freezing so came down stairs and found I had a very poor view which was hindered by the widows covered by logos. My recollection was one of seeing numerous shop roller shutters covered in graffiti. Got a far better view from normal bus. If you want to appreciate it would be better walking.

Although there are many warnings of theft I felt no intimidation whatsoever.

Enjoy

• 1 month later...

Guys, just an update following helpful advice given. Currently sitting in beautiful sunshine outside the van on camping Barcelona. With our asci card its €20 per night on a pitch with 10amp electric, water and waste, some shade but glad of our air con (contravercial I know..!!). Also includes free coach transfer to Barcelona (book the day before) and free shuttle service to beach, port/station and town centre of Mataro. Would thoroughly recommend site, really clean facilities, decent restaurant and polite friendly staff, all this for €20!!! Thanks again for the recommendation, now Zarragoza on the way over, good for a stopover but not much else!

Bill

Have been reading in the Press that the local Barcelonians are getting a little concerned at the sheer number of tourists they are getting and feel, like many other places, that their own city is no longer theirs. Obviously the big \companies running hotels etc want as many visitors aspossible and have little regard for the impact on local people.

Speaking as a citizen of a UK city that is overun with tourists during the summer, I can sympathise with Barcelonians. Our city fathers are constantly telling us, as they approve yet another hotel, that the economy benefits by huge sums, yet we see almost no improvement in any services, and invariably suffer as resources are directed to accomodating visitors.

It seems to be the scurge of our current age, just too many people in smaller and smaller spaces and I do not know the answer.

Archived