Saga motorhome insurance

Knaus

PJay - 2016-09-10 5:22 PM

Sundowner - 2016-09-10 4:36 PM

I've just got off my butt and started getting more quotes after 10 years with Saga! The last straw is this years quote has risen from an already exorbitant £649 to £745. This morning,I had a conversation with a very nice Saga lady who brought this down to £685. Yes, I know that I should have acted years ago, but it was all so easy, paying quarterly by direct debit. I should have done the same as I have been doing with the AA for the last ten years - arguing for a reduction and getting it. However the first quote I have been given from the company who insure both our house and my wife's car is so low that it sounds too good to be true, £268. I'll carry on phoning around and put behind me, the thought of how much I could have saved over the last 10 years! The motorhome, by the way is a 2010 Adria SL Compact.

Hi Ernie

Have you tried Safeguard? They are good and it also includes overseas breakdown

Used to be with safeguard, but they are dearer than Safeguard now.

We have always found Saga expensive. Oh is still awaiting a claim to be settled on car from Dec 2014

with Saga. They have been a right pain in the B****

PJay

ERROR

We used to be with Caravan Guard, who are now much much dearer., so stayed with safeGuard

PJay

Saga are like many other Companies, cheap to start with and then suck you in on renewal times. They bank on your apathy. Each year it does not look too bad but over time you will find you are being charged up to 50% more than shopping around.

They do offer good EU cover for the whole 365 days so if you travel a lot in Europe, it could be worth a look.

Apart from that my advice is to play them at their own game, use them for a cou[ple of years and then change.

colin - 2016-09-11 7:22 PM

I've just got off my butt and started getting more quotes after 10 years with Saga! The last straw is this years quote has risen from an already exorbitant £649 to £745.

Is your van made from solid gold with diamond studded tyres, or is there some other reason for these prices?

Probably because people like me let them get away with it! I think that they trade on us old wrinklies feeling safe in their hands. I've taken Brian's advice and gone with Comfort - £262.48.

Brian Kirby - 2016-09-11 5:01 PM

I suggest you also try Comfort insurance. We've been with them about 10 years with three different vans, always with breakdown included. The premium has always been competitive, the policy cover is written around motorhoming rather than being a car policy, and I've never had to 'phone them to get a more reasonable price. You speak to a well informed team, and if a question gets technical, can also get through directly to their underwriter. The policy is through AVIVA, and is almost identical to AVIVA's own vehicle insurances but with motorhome specific additions. The whole policy booklet is readable on Comfort's website. When getting a quote ring, don't use the internet site, as the staff take more into account in arriving at premiums than is feasible on a web questionnaire.

Hi Brian, as always I listened to your advice and this time I followed it. I accepted a quote of £262.48 from Comfort. Many thanks, sorry for the delay in responding - we've been searching for sunshine along the south coast! Ernie.

Dave225 - 2016-09-13 7:09 PM

Saga are like many other Companies, cheap to start with and then suck you in on renewal times. They bank on your apathy. Each year it does not look too bad but over time you will find you are being charged up to 50% more than shopping around.

They do offer good EU cover for the whole 365 days so if you travel a lot in Europe, it could be worth a look.

Apart from that my advice is to play them at their own game, use them for a cou[ple of years and then change.

Hi Dave, I agree, but it's been an expensive lesson!

PJay - 2016-09-10 5:22 PM

I've just got off my butt and started getting more quotes after 10 years with Saga! The last straw is this years quote has risen from an already exorbitant £649 to £745. This morning,I had a conversation with a very nice Saga lady who brought this down to £685. Yes, I know that I should have acted years ago, but it was all so easy, paying quarterly by direct debit. I should have done the same as I have been doing with the AA for the last ten years - arguing for a reduction and getting it. However the first quote I have been given from the company who insure both our house and my wife's car is so low that it sounds too good to be true, £268. I'll carry on phoning around and put behind me, the thought of how much I could have saved over the last 10 years! The motorhome, by the way is a 2010 Adria SL Compact.

Hi Ernie

Have you tried Safeguard? They are good and it also includes overseas breakdown

Used to be with safeguard, but they are dearer than Safeguard now.

We have always found Saga expensive. Oh is still awaiting a claim to be settled on car from Dec 2014

with Saga. They have been a right pain in the B****

PJay

Hi PJ thanks for the suggestion, it was a toss up between Safeguard and Comfort but Comort came first alphabetically and was also recommended by Brian. Ernie

• 2 weeks later...

Our MH is with Saga who have always been the cheapest, it used to cost me £430 with Caravan Guard. Saga reduced it to £170 and each of the three years it's crept up but still below everyone else at £230. Our van is an 04 Burstner Elegance 591.

Our home insurance and car insurances were also with them but thier system started to act silly, this forced me to go shopping so now they just have the van.

The car is back with Direct Line who started acting silly and home insurance is with John Lewis whilst Saga continue flooding us with invitations, We had a storm damage claim with Sage and they were excellent. Same with some car damage, excellent.

Just been shocked by my annual renewal from Caravan Guard which was £560, and then I told them I'd had a minor bump in my car earlier in the year (Claim value approx. £500) my fault entirely! and they put the price up to over £800. Started shopping around, the CC quoted over £900! and then Comfort Insurance quoted £367 including breakdown! Where do these companies get their prices from?

Comfort will get the business, and probably for a long time to come as per Brian's recommendation. Particularly like the fact the policy is with Aviva.

Nick

I was with SAGA for years, insurance and breakdown, until our van reached 15 years old and that was it. They would not cover 15 year old Motorhomes.

I am now with Shield UK & European, AGEAS INS LTD. !st class service, when our gear box collapsed in France during Sept. [2016.] The French arm of the breakdown service called every day to enquire on progress. Gear box & clutch replace within 9 days.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a claim and Saga and they were very good as I wanted it repaired quickly and let me use a local firm for the repairs. The third party claimant is being dealt with efficiently (an errant taxis driver).

I always get new quotes on renewal and ring them up - always get a discount. The driving other vehicles for both drivers is a bonus, and the 365 days abroad excellent. Protected bonus as well. They even insured a second vehicle with discount , even with no spare NCB. (should have been cheap as only used July/Aug and lives in a garage) (lol)

I have the cars insured with Saga and the price is acceptable but I have not had to claim.

My yearly travel insurance was with Saga and at renewal it has risen considerably so I entered my details under a different name on their web site to get a quote and surprise surprise it was half the renewal price. So I phoned and said that the cost was too high and it was reduced to roughly half the cost.

The house insurance has risen and again I searched online and found a similar insurance through Sainsbury that was a third of Saga's price, when I phoned Saga they would not reduce their estimate and so they have lost my custom.

So it pays to shop around otherwise any insurance will rise considerably after a few years.

When we purchased our van Saga said thy were not doing Motorhome Insurance.

Post Code does come into the insurance factor. When we moved from South Hertfordshire (Commuter Belt to London) , to Hampshire, I rang my car insurance people, as my new ins year , started almost to the day we moved, I was told it would reduce. When it came to it, it increased slightly, I was told due to Post Code!!

PJay

After my recent exorbitant renewal offer from the CC I have tried a few places and found my last insurer before the CC offered the lowest by some £500 compared to the CC.

I constantly receive stuff from Saga so I tried them and after putting in all the details I was told that due to the info given they were unable to offer me insurance, no explanation or hint of what offended them.

:-S

Archived