grape picking france

pw9crab

If you are passing through the Bordeaux area there are hundreds of wine producers so I would just call in and ask. There are also plenty in the Libourne area. I have to tell you that it is not an easy job the same as in January/February when they are cutting and tying the vines in, finger numbing I think you would call it. We knew someone who did the latter to earn a bit more towards their UK pension although they did live in France. If you have a France Passion book then you will find Producers in there.

pw9crab - 2016-05-21 12:35 PM

hi has any one tried grape picking in France late aug September time some where to park free and a little wage at the end

We go to the Loire region every year in late August to beginning of October and have always wanted to do some grape picking. The picking is very weather dependant, both for picking and for the ripeness to enable picking to be undertaken. The start of the grape picking is decided by the local prefecture but can often be delayed or cancelled at the last minute as we have found quite often.

In the Touraine area the vineyards are on gently sloping sites and stretch as far as the eye can see at times and most of the grapes are harvested mechanically. We managed to pick grapes for the first time last year and did so voluntarily as do most of the villagers - hand picked grapes attract a higher value and the 'farmers' donate money to the local village causes such as schools etc. for this voluntary help. They also lay on food and drink on quite a large and sumptuous scale for those who help - this is certainly a feast.

It is back breaking work and surprisingly dirty as often when you start there may be a bit of dew on the grapes but as the sun comes out it becomes very sticky, aided by some of the grapes squashing as the bunches are removed. Your fingers and hands become black and sticky (this was with white grapes) and takes some washing off even a few days later ! It is a very friendly atmosphere with the villagers speaking to you and you trying to understand them and hopefully give them a coherent reply. They provide you with large buckets and small secateurs to pick the grapes and place large crates at intervals along the lines of the vines and these are regularly collected as you pick. It is great fun and something we will do again. As for being paid for picking, there are regions in France where hand picking is the norm where the use of mechanical equipment is difficult and all help is needed. I have included the following link which explains all about grape picking as a 'job' but they do ask a fee for finding you the work etc. but lets you know all about it.

http://www.apcon.nl/docs_uk/frankrijk.html

As I said it is hard work and to do it every day until all is harvested could be daunting. However, why not try and of course enjoy !

Alan

Archived