Catepillar Trains are death to dogs

Norma

As this came up in an earlier posting I thought I would add a picture for the uninitiated and stress again that for a dog to touch one of these is a potential death sentence. The harpoon like spines are filled with venom which may cause anaphylactic shock and certainly serious dermatitis in humans. The Pine Processionary Caterpillar (Thaumetopoea pityocampa) is about 3cm long each, and appear cute and furry, but their hairs are full of poison. They follow each other around in long chains, sometimes metres long in in spring (around March) and become moths in June. Poke them into a circle with a stick and they'll go round and round for a week! The locals can be seen vigourously stamping on them in heavy footwear and regularly burn them. They're natural habitat is pine forests in southern France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and parts of north africa - are pretty widespread and can collonise a single pine tree in a garden. We spotted these last Easter by the lake at St Ferreol near Revel, Haute Garonne ... ony just before the dog saw them and went to investigate. Close call indeed!

We have come across these processionary caterpillars in Spain and France. Once walking with our dog but luckily she didn't take any notice of them and once walking on our own. They are deadly to our dogs so we keep an eye out for the pine trees and if we see the nests know they are around. Rita

Mel B, The photo of caterpillars you took are more than likely of the Cinnabar Moth. Are we talking about Oak processionary caterpillars here, they have been found in Kew gardens, the nests and caterpillars were destroyed by the staff. They are not only dangereous to dogs but Humans as well. Were they are found in Europe the Forests are closed off to the public during Summer and Autumn when they are at most risk to Humans. They are called "Thaumetopoea processionea" I have tried to find some good photos of them but not successful yet, there are some illustrations but not very clear. If I find any I will post them, so that they can be identified by all. David

Archived