Loo Height

francheezy

Loo Height  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They do vary, with most being OK for most people.

That said some are uncomfortably high or too low for some folk, but surely what really matters is the specific height of the seat in the particular van in question relative to your comfort zone and for that you would probably need to enthrone yourself on that specific seat?

I see your quandry and I truly sympathise having experienced similar issues with my disabled wife some years ago.

Another aspect is the available space to 'perform' the functions needed and some compartments are so tight, or badly angled, or have the sink causing an obstruction that once sat it is difficult to get vertical and even harder to complete the mission.

If it's too high you can, as we have had to do in the past, make a platform to stop your feet dangling but if too low there is not a lot you can do other than fit grab handles on the walls and it is not always easy to find good solid location points.

I see that yours seems to be a 1.9 Fiat engined sub 6.00 metre van and by it's very nature there is not going to be a lot of space inside but maybe with a little ingenuity someone will have an idea that might help if we knew what van it is?

Our experiences lead me to prefer the bench type loo, often with a folding wash basin behind it, over the swivel type for ease of access but that is just a personal view and I seem to recall that the swivel type tend to be a bit higher but often swivel to create washing space as there is not being a lot of room - but it does depend on how well the available space is used and the differences can be a deal maker or breaker.

I looked at a Burstner a couple of years ago, it seemed to be the perfect layout.

Sat down on the loo, stood up, tried to mime certain actions, and realised I would need to turn round through 180 degrees AND employ someone like I believe Henry VIII had to finish things off, as it were.

The van was great otherwise, so it was quite disappointing. Of course all vans are a compromise, but surely there are some things that designers should accept must be sacrosanct. Like a useable loo.

The bench-style toilet fitted to recent-ish motorhomes will normally be a Thetford C402C or C403L model.

Both models share the same dimensions that are listed here

http://www.thetford.com/product/c403l-cassette/

The seat-to-floor height of the C403L toilet fitted to my Rapido 640 is 48.5cm (about 19”) - that’s measured by putting a straight-edge across the top of the seat (with the seat-lid raised) and down to the floor of the shower-tray that’s directly in front of the toilet.

The photo provided by paulmold relates to a Thetford C2/C3/C4 bench toilet that went out of production quite a few years ago. The curvy design of C400 toilets differs significantly from the C2/C3/C4 range and fitting an adapter to raise the seat height of a C402C or C403L could prove tricky.

Don't know if this is helpful, but, Iam six foot four inches tall with a disability that won't let me sit on anything low such as seating in a bank or building society, we have a Auto quest 115 (Sunseeker) 2015 version and the height of the seat and space to use it is fine, my wife however who is at least a foot shorter than me has to have a polystyrene block under her feet to sit comfortably.

Pete

The attached photo provides dimensions of the old C2/C3/C4 bench-style toilet range and of a C200 swivel-bowl model.

Certainly with the C200 toilet the seat height can vary significantly depending on the height of the plinth that the motorhome manufacturer chooses to use, and in some C200 installations the seat is so elevated that an average height person will have their feet dangling as breakaleg mentions.

So even if Thetford toilet’s basic dimensions are known, there’s no guarantee that a toilet’s seat-height won’t end up higher once a motorhome conversion has been completed. As Tracker advises earlier, the only way to be sure that the height will be suitable is to experiment.

Thetford.jpg.0cd3c8987727e17dcd6d42309d0dd47f.jpg

Archived