Caravan Club or Camping & Caravanning Club?

SWCP Walkers

Brock - 2016-06-10 6:40 PMStuartO, your description of the CC in your opening paragraph and your final sentence doesn't reflect my 26 years of experience in the club which has all been positive. Perhaps I'm lucky or have low expectations. Who cares! I get what I want from the CC and I know how to influence the 'management' when I feel the need.

My experience of CC has been overwhelmingly positive too, especially the sites and the CL system, which is why I continued my membership after an experience led me to become cynical about the "not really a club" system of governance. 

But I did chuckle when the Chairman trashed the caravan he was towing on that Caravanner of the Year TV programme a few weeks ago, and when there were so many demands for his resignation on the CC forum in the wake of it, and when there wasn't a mention of the scale of dissatisfaction among members, just glowing reports about the competition in the next edition of the CC magazine.  Avoiding unrealistic expectations of what "membership" entitles you to, that's the key.

The CC changed its Articles to broaden its scope to take advantage of leisure market opportunities. It also refined membership. According to the CC, members want to see more camping opportunities, more yurts [or whatever], more serviced pitches, more on site bars etc. This approach, which is publicised by the CC, is why I don't think it is run as a business.

No business in this modern age provide what customers want. They provide what customers need at a price the customer is willing to pay. I don't doubt that the CC has listened to its members to come up with these plans but I wonder whether the silent majority want to be part of a leisure club or a Caravan Club, incorporating motorcaravans, focused on caravanning.

There is a risk that the CC will make the same mistake as Tesco and the like, becoming too big, too broad, too expensive in its offerings and losing touch with its core customers/ members.

In the meantime, like Stuart, I will continue to enjoy the CC whilst it meets my needs and chuckle at the faux Caravanner of the Year competition which is being run again next year.

Brock,

I'm curious that you suggest the CC is not running a business. You are surely confused with the comment 'What customers need ... What customers want". Which ever way its still a business with a profit and loss accountable applying to something.

What are Yurts" nothing like it in my dictionaries ?

Will, yurts are circular tents of at least Mongolian origin. There are also things called camping pods which, from what I've seen, look like half an upturn Viking longship with a door and window or two. These trendy camping ideas are favoured by glampers who partake in glamorous camping!

To me, a business engages in commercial activities and makes commercial decisions. The Caravan Club engages in activities for the benefit of its members, not necessarily for commercial gain. It makes decisions which it thinks will benefit members. Hence the CC runs some sites that make a loss just so members have a full coverage across the country. It is also why it is extending into the leisure market because it believes that's what members want.

Many clubs and association operate profit and loss accounts because it is a good practice to know where the money is coming from/going and how much is left to invest.

Guest pelmetman
Brock - 2016-06-11 12:15 PM

No business in this modern age provide what customers want. They provide what customers need at a price the customer is willing to pay. I don't doubt that the CC has listened to its members to come up with these plans but I wonder whether the silent majority want to be part of a leisure club or a Caravan Club, incorporating motorcaravans, focused on caravanning.

Dam.....I was clearly running my business the wrong way for the last nearly 30 years 8-) .......

Never managed to be able to charge my customers 40+ quid just for buying my services though *-) ......

We are members of both. The plus for the CC is that you can book online with no reservation fee and change your mind providing you do so 72 hours (I think) in advance with no penalty. CCC require a non-returnable booking fee with each booking - fine if you are booking a two week stay for your main annual holiday but less so when you want to be flexible and explore a region. However, I've found the CCC better for ferry bookings - quicker, more flexible and helpful than the CC. The tone of the site is usually dictated by the wardens. Generally they are very helpful although I have found some who get very confused when you explain that your continental motorhome has its habitation door on the "wrong" side to enable you to conform to the pitching instructions.

Derek & John,

Thank you kindly for the Yurt replies, a new one on me, I did try my Thesaurus on the laptop (Asus W7) but it must be out-dated. Google I had not considered.

I do hope I'm never bloody minded, I wouldn't know how to be. The question was asked in good faith to a genuine poster whom I respect from other comments contributed.

When in the US many moons ago we had the choice of a wigwam for the night but having spent 3 years living in a genuine original 1890 horse drawn all wooden gypsy caravan when first married. (Now building a replica)

"Novelty Nites" were not our preferred stop over choice !

• 4 years later...

Archived