Dash Cam

Pete-B

Hi, I'm planning to hardwire my dash cam in our 2015 fiat based Bessie. I don't have the handbook with me at present so could someone tell me where I can get access to the fuse box in the cab area.

Thanks for any help.

A dashcam is low wattage, so a small electrical demand and you can probably add it to any non-road-lighting circuit, so it's perhaps more a question of which cables are handily placed to splice into, to allow a neat installation.

But you need a circuit switched by the ignition switch, so fish around with a voltmeter to find somewhere suitable to tap into.  Maybe the area around the interior light could offer something which would save having to route a cable all the way back to the fuse board?

Pete-B

The first thing to say is that, before fiddling about with the fuse-box, you should retrieve your handbook from wherever it is!!!

The fuse-box referred to in recent forum discussions about dash-cam wiring should be (on RHD Ducatos) to the right of the steering-wheel. In the lower section of the dashboard to the right of the steering-wheel and close-ish to the cab door should be a black plastic cover held in place by two captive cross-head screws. Undo the screws, remove the cover and the fuse-box will be revealed. (I say “should be” because my 2015 Ducato is LHD and the dashboard fuse-box is to the left of the steering-wheel!)

Some of the fuseways in this fuse-box are shown in the handbook as permanently ‘live’ (+battery) while others only become live when the vehicle’s ignition is on (+key). Fuseway 49 is the latter type and probably the most suitable for piggy-backing a low amperage device on.

The attached photo of the fuse-box shows a piggy-back fuse tap plugged into fuseway 49. There are three rows of fuseways and fuseway 49 is 2nd from the left in the uppermost row of six fuseways. Fuseway 49 will carry a (brown) 5A fuse.

If recovering your handbook is really difficult, and you feel an overpowering urge to go ahead with this project, you can view/download a handbook from here

http://tinyurl.com/o6yqqvk

fuse-box.jpg.676c311a5b5c1ee91d813a487ac99e88.jpg

Archived