Overnights

PercyJane

If you Google Mazda Bongo lots of ads and entries for this sort of thing will appear up an down the country.

Not as fashionable as a VW but also not as expensive and probably, being Japanese, more reliable and cheaper to fix.

There are similar vans available from Toyota, Honda, Hyundai to consider.

Converting a van is a VERY time and cash consuming project if it is not to be a lash up which, whilst it may work, only serves to devalue the base vehicle.

On the other hand buying a ready converted recognised brand van from a dealer will incur the usual dealer profit, but should come with some kind of warranty? Or you could buy privately?

One of the greatest failing for us of these mini campers is either the lack of a cassette toilet or just as bad - the inability to use it at night - unless you can hang on all night and 'bucket and chuckit' in the morning that is!

You could see what is for sale on ebay.

Most selfbuilders turn their project into a labour of love, unlike the professionals. 8-)

They usually go fairly cheap and are generally well put tgether. You should find all sizes and marques converted, I would think you will find something suitable.

Guest pelmetman
747 - 2016-06-08 7:45 PM

You could see what is for sale on ebay.

Most selfbuilders turn their project into a labour of love, unlike the professionals. 8-)

They usually go fairly cheap and are generally well put tgether. You should find all sizes and marques converted, I would think you will find something suitable.

Very true, my FIL converted a new Merc (B reg) into a stealth camper, and he was a cabinet maker by trade so you can imagine the quality.......I keep hoping I'll see it around one day B-) .........

It's all about what you need as minimum space & No. of occupants.

There are versions on the Peugeot Partner (car sized) then going up the scale the Peugeot Expert (similar size to the VW T5) with similar models from Citroen & Fiat.

The Nissan NV200 crewvan may be suitable.(Forward side windows).

Not sure if their Combi version ( Full side windows) This version is converted by Lunar & AN other.

Next larger (similar to the VW but wider) would be the Renault Traffic, Vauxhall Vivara, Ford Transit Compact, etc..

I can recommend the Chrysler Voyager for interior space, like it carries an 8x4 sheet of ply with ease so imagine the room you have. Course you have to remove the rear seats but that's easy as their removable. The limited models have overhead screens so that's the TV sorted. Engine preheater is also fitted. The CRD Diesel can get 34mpg, good for a car that weighs nearly 2 tons. Try You Tube for USA ideas on fit out.

Archived