Intercom

David C

Hi All. We are new to motorhoming indeed we are still looking for the perfect van. We hired for three weeks and did a grand tour of Spain. The same problem cropped up every time we pitched up.. not being able to hear each other clearly when maneuvering into a tight pitch. I was wondering if any one knew of an intercom system we could use to help keep good clear coms I was thinking of headphones and a microphone style.

Any thoughts folks? (^) (^) (^)

Try web search Amazon PMR.

Cheap and cheerful

Hand signals are cheaper and better !

Word of advice, Do not reverse until you can clearly see your banksman in the drivers mirror signalling.

Fatal accidents have occurred where this advice was ignored.

Rgds

A pair of walkie talkie radios?

In my experience many Other Halves are not equipped to position themselves so as to stay in view via the mirrors, so any attempt to rely on them to do so is dangerous.  Likewise indicating the distance to go by means of arm signals doesn't work.  (My OH gets anxious as the gap closes and her hands come up to cover her mouth in a completely involuntary way.) Direction in which to turn (i.e. confusion about left and right) can be a problem too. 

Whether using radios would help I doubt and they might just add to the confusion.

Mirrors, reversing camera and, if in doubt, stop and get out to have a look yourself.

From the replies so far it seems that this is a problem a lot of us face, and the solution is not easy to find. I think that a good way forward might be to really discuss with the other half what exactly we want them to watch, and exactly what information we want them to give us. I do not have the courage to broach this with CG, so she tends to wander about at the back of the van, demurely whispering advice to me on how she thinks I should be maneuvering the van, whilst in my partial deafness I sit in the front wishing she would stop giving me instructions and tell me how close I am to the cotton picking, chicken plucking wall.

For choice I would have a reversing camera and parking sensors

AGD

The standard fit reversing camera on my Roller Team has a microphone built in - just a case of turning up the volume on the cab display to hear instructions for the Other Half, who can see beyond the camera's coverage . Volume neeeds turning right down on the move, though, as wind noise is intrusive otherwise.

Aldi & Lidl sell the PMR 446 walkie talkies occasionally, though a quick search on Ebay for "PMR446 Radio" brings up two handset kits from under £15. I think the PMR446 standard is Europe wide (though best to check) & no licence required.

Oh come on guys - isn't this a case of walnut V sledgehammer?

Just watch any French couple and learn both how to, and often, how not to control reversing - Monsieur sits and drives back and forth - often waving his arms in frustration - whilst Madame waves her arms and directs with varying levels of skill or stupidity!

As long as the one doing the arm waving directing can see at least one of the cab mirrors and as long as the driver watches the mirrors plus, and here is the real key, the driver knows what he is about, it should not be a problem.

Practise will certainly help.

Never had any camera, never had any reversing problems. The solution is practice. Waiting until you're on a site is no good at all.

Long before you travel go and find an empty car park or an industrial site, preferably with lots of markings. Take a few buckets and position them where you want to park.

If using an assistant their first mistake is to stand too close to the van. Do not attempt any meaningless arm waving movements. The assistant should be at least one clear van dimension away and always facing the driver.

Signals ... hands placed out front like sitting on a bicycle but with fists closed as if holding a pair of flags. Fists to move up and down only, no circles, no finger pointing, no waving. Face the driver.

To turn left, Left arm up and down, to make a tighter turn move arm quicker. Turn right similarly.

When aligned correctly the assistant moves to see the rear space, but facing the driver. The closeness to an object is indicated by the assistants hands, positioning them apart at the same distance as the remaining space seen, or required.

Most of the signalling can be carried out with the assistant standing away some distance and at the front. This allows the assistant a much clearer view all round.

With practice two people can easily reverse a large van all round a complicated car park, the key is keeping well away from the van and in full view of the driver at all times.

747 - 2016-06-12 4:09 PM

You can buy reversing camera systems with built in speaker. That way, you can use your camera and listen to instructions.

That's exactly what we've got on our van. MOH says that people give her strange looks as she talks to the camera, but it ain't two-way.....mores the pity....I could shout back, if I dared!

Conrad Anderson in Brum are very good with reversing cameras.

The instruction that I find most difficult to carry out is when I am told that the whole van needs to be moved 6 inches to the right ( or left ).

Generally I find that as long as my other half stays in view of my rear view mirrors we don't have a problem.

Just sort out between you what signals to use before you start.

( ........... and whatever you do, don't wave your arms about ! )

;-)

I've had to reverse our 30' MH both with wife and solo. I find doing it on my own so much easier.

Let's say I'm reversing onto a pitch - approach the pitch, have a look around and get out if necessary. Then reverse slowly a bit at a time and if there's any doubt, get out and have a look. I might get out 4 or 5 times to get the MH just where it needs to be but what's the rush?

Oh, and it saves blaming someone else for the driver's mistakes.

Archived