dogs to Norway

peterjl

Hi Does anyone have any experience of taking their dog to Norway - not just in having the dog in the country but also best way to travel. I looks as if DFDS don't take dogs so no direct route and this supported by the info on the Defra website but what about best way from denmark to Norway with your dog. I've just spent a frustrating hour with google - so does ayone have any experiences to pass on?? Many thanks Peter

Hi I am happy taking my dog abroad, we've already don that + Norway is part of the PETS scheme so thats not a problem either. Its more how do we get her to NORWAY. There is no direct ferry from the UK that will transport pets so we have to go via denmark but:- 1) is it best to go from there to Sweden then drive up or 2) try one of the ferries direct to norway from northern denmark. Given i have only 3 weeks and maybe a couple of days i'm not sure which is the best option. Any thought welcome. Peter

• 3 months later...
Hello, In addition to the Pets scheme Norway, well Scandinavia in general require a blood test taken at 4 months in addition to the 'pets' scheme. Having said that I searched for half an hour in Goteborg to present the passport (have you noticed a second page for a further blood check certificate, it's there)and found no one, so went on my merrie way regardless. Norway however always has customs on hand, being non EU I suppose, and will check with attitude. I seem to remember that you are supposed to worm within ten days of entry as well. Why not try Denmark to Norway/Sweden. Michael 8-)

Guest starspirit
I have not been to Norway but intend going this year. As I understand it none of the long distance ferries will take a dog on board as they do not have facilities. We intend using the tunnel or Norfolk lines ferry and driving up. As you will then be deemed to be entering Norway from Sweden you will need to have had the dog treated for tapeworm a maximum of ten days prior to entry into Norway with no further treatment required whilst in Norway. If you did enter Norway direct via ferry from the UK you will need, or so their website says, to have the dog similarly treated once every 7 days whilst in Norway. The website 'Visit Norway' has lots of info but you do have to dig for it. I emailed a lady called Monica at monica.vatne@mattilysnet.no who gave me the above info which I have printed out and will take with me.

Archived