X 290 headlights

HWO

Hi

At my handover,the dealer mentioned that the small white sockets on the upper surface of the headlights(it looks like some kind of hex drive) were for changing the headlights over for the continent.No word about them in the handbook,and I can't find anything about them on the internet. Does anybody know if this was correct information that he gave me or just wishful thinking

With thanks

HWO

Got me thinking - We will have to do similar at some point next year, - Found a link on another forum for the X250, wouldn't imagine that it's much different on the X290.

http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/149-fiat-ducato/110892-headlight-adjustment-x250.html

My car - A saab has something similar, needs an Allen Key, found a handy wall and did it myself, I counted the number of turns on each adjuster and recorded what was needed so upon return I could put it back as it was, - probably highly unprofessional but it worked OK as far as I know, don't believe I dazzled anyone and the vehicle passed it's MOT afterwards which contains a headlight check.

You haven’t said which X290-based motorhome you own, but I assume it has the original ‘steel’ cab (ie. it’s not an A-class model with non-standard headlamps).

My understanding is that the small white sockets on X290 headlamps allow the basic aim of the headlights to be adjusted. The adusters are not intended to alter the pattern of the dipped-beam from 'left-dipping’ (for when the vehicle is being driven on the left side of the road as in the UK) to ‘right-dipping’ (for when the vehicle is being driven on the right side of the road as in Continental Europe).

The X290 headlamp unit that produces a left-dipping beam pattern differs from the headlamp unit that produces a right-dipping pattern. This is why, when a left-hand drive X290-based motorhome (with the original cab) is registered in the UK, to meet the UK’s vehicle registration requirements its right-dipping headlamps need to be swapped for left-dipping headlamps .

The X290 Ducato handbook contains a “HEADLIGHTS” section that includes a paragraph “ADJUSTING THE HEADLIGHTS WHEN ABROAD”. This reads as follows:

"The dipped beam headlights are aligned for operation in the country where the vehicle was originally purchased. When in countries where you drive on the other side of the road, you need to alter the beam direction by affixing a specially designed self-adhesive film in order not to dazzle the vehicles travelling in the opposite direction. Such film is provided by Lineaccessori Fiat and is available at Fiat Dealerships."

To the best of my knowledge there is no regulation that specifically demands that the dipped-beam pattern of UK-norm left-dipping headlamps MUST be modified to a right-dipping pattern for driving in Continental Europe (or vice versa when ‘foreign’ vehicles with right-dipping headlamps are driven in the UK). There will be a regulation in all countries demanding that a vehicle’s lights can be operated so that they do not dazzle oncoming traffic, but there is nothing stipulating how this must be achieved.

Using ‘beam benders’ or ‘masks’ to modify the dipped-beam pattern would be one way, but using a Ducato X290’s on-dashboard headlight alignment adjustment control could be another option. Trouble is with the latter approach, if the beam angle is adjusted downwards so far that there’s absolutely no possibility of dazzling oncoming traffic, the vehicle’s driver won’t be able to see very far ahead!

For our overseas travel we have always used clip on headlight protectors. These are marked out for the supplied masks to be put in the right place. We leave the masks on the protectors and remove the whole thing in this country. Saves a great deal,of faffing about and they are ready when we need them.

David

david lloyd - 2016-06-29 8:11 PM

For our overseas travel we have always used clip on headlight protectors. These are marked out for the supplied masks to be put in the right place. We leave the masks on the protectors and remove the whole thing in this country. Saves a great deal,of faffing about and they are ready when we need them.

David

We do the same but ours are for the X250 model. I believe that those for the X290 are still in the design stage.

Dave225 - 2016-06-29 9:48 PM

David

We do the same but ours are for the X250 model. I believe that those for the X290 are still in the design stage.

As 'the fat controller' says they are now available. We bought ours last year at one of the shows - not from van comfort but another regular attendee who sells many motor vehicle parts including car seat covers, wheel trims etc. Sorry, can't recall the company name. But they are fertainly available for the X290.

David

david lloyd - 2016-06-30 7:44 AM

Dave225 - 2016-06-29 9:48 PM

David

As 'the fat controller' says they are now available. We bought ours last year at one of the shows - not from van comfort but another regular attendee who sells many motor vehicle parts including car seat covers, wheel trims etc. Sorry, can't recall the company name. But they are fertainly available for the X290.

David

I stand corrected. When I bought mine the dealer did state on their website that the X290 model was not yet available, but that was last year sometime.

Mine have worked well, but I did note that a few bugs did like to commit suicide on the inside, just where I could not reach them without takijng the things off.

Archived