Alarm problem

ericw

I've just had an Autowatch 695rlc system fitted. The system rearms itself after 2 minutes unless the vehicle is entered within that time. But this entry must take place through a cab door. The alarm doesn't recognise the habitation door as a door. This door is fitted with a wireless sensor (not off the CAN-BUS ). To prevent rearming I have to open a cab door. It will even rearm with the habitation wide open.

Does anyone know how to prevent this?

On a morning wake up, leave the van by the habitation door and it fully rearms itself, usually with my wife in bed unless I also open and close a cab door.

Supplier says the only way is to prevent totally all auto rearming. I say the system should be programmed to treat the habitation door in the same way as a cab door. £600 worth of annoyance.

The supplier is correct I'm afraid no provision is provided to,link the,extra door to the cpu. Mercs used to have a similar problem with their auto auto locking system. We got locked out of a Fait based Rapido,when we exited from the habitation door without disarming the alarm and central locking!

I'd just opt for dishing the auto arming function. More trouble that it's worth.

I thought the majority of MH alarms were hard-wired to the "black box".

I spoke to VanBitz about this and they always hard-wire to the hab door and lockers ( including the cab doors if it's an A Class). They never use wireless transmitters.

VanBitz did the alarm system on my Hymer for £600 (circa 2003). My current van came with a Cobra alarm system and that is hard-wired to all the doors, engine bay and lockers. Both have an arming period of 30 seconds.

It's probably cheaper for the installer to use wireless transmitters but in a MH you need a reliable system that won't let you down when 100's of miles from home.

The magnetic reed switches used on hard-wired systems can become a bit fickle over time but they are easily and cheaply replaced.

Perhaps you should ask the installer of the alarm why they chose to use a wireless transmitter on the hab door, if this is causing you problems.

It could be that the solution is to disable the rearming but I am reluctant to reduce the alarm security because the supplier has tried to fit an alarm designed for a car into a motorhome.

I will follow up the suggestion about hard wired door which could then be treated differently to the RF sensor input and maybe the habitation door could be treated as a door. With no central locking on the habitation door I should have no trouble with locking myself out.

Archived