Hybrid Motorhomes anyone ?

tonyishuk

pelmetman - 2016-07-11 9:52 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2016-07-11 2:44 PM

pelmetman - 2016-07-10 9:32 AM

The answer is 3 litres of throbbing Essex V6 converted to LPG ;-) ..........no payload issues and very green B-) .........

I’m aware that you were considering having the ex-Reliant Scimitar Ford motor that was transplanted into your Transit van fitted with an LPG conversion.

Did you actually have this done?

Have you not followed my trials and tribulations Derek? 8-) .............

No, I have a deep-seated loathing of emoticons. :$ :$

I was generally aware of your plans, but wary of the thinking behind them. For example, whether consideration had been given to the overall gearing of the Reliant Scimitar that was donating the motor and automatic gearbox and how this compared with the overall gearing of your diesel-engined Transit van. Also what effect running on LPG would have on a Ford Essex V6 powerplant that, in unmodified condition, is unsuitable for running on unleaded petrol.

As you may recall I have ‘hands-on’ familiarity with the Essex V6 having owned a Scimitar GTE S5 in the 1970s. Buying that vehicle (privately) proved to be a costly mistake as - with hindsight - it had undoubtedly been seriously clocked. When I did some work on the engine I discovered that this had two different designs of cylinder head. Although this did not seem to affect the motor’s running, when it later developed a problem (possibly a fuelling issue) I had it replaced by a engine built by the late-Robin Rew. This was mildly tuned - modified carburettor, different camshaft, tubular exhaust manifolds, etc. - but was still tractable with a diesel-like power delivery, zooming up to 4000-or-so revs and then plateauing. (Rew also offered a turbocharged conversion of the Essex V6 that produced well over 200bhp.) My Scimitar had a manual/overdrive transmission and was very ‘long legged’ as a consequence, but it was heavy on fuel when driven in town and I dread to think about the fuel consumption of an auto-box version dragging a Transit along.

Best of luck - you are a brave man!

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2016-07-12 7:59 AM

pelmetman - 2016-07-11 9:52 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2016-07-11 2:44 PM

pelmetman - 2016-07-10 9:32 AM

The answer is 3 litres of throbbing Essex V6 converted to LPG ;-) ..........no payload issues and very green B-) .........

I’m aware that you were considering having the ex-Reliant Scimitar Ford motor that was transplanted into your Transit van fitted with an LPG conversion.

Did you actually have this done?

Have you not followed my trials and tribulations Derek? 8-) .............

No, I have a deep-seated loathing of emoticons. :$ :$

I was generally aware of your plans, but wary of the thinking behind them. For example, whether consideration had been given to the overall gearing of the Reliant Scimitar that was donating the motor and automatic gearbox and how this compared with the overall gearing of your diesel-engined Transit van. Also what effect running on LPG would have on a Ford Essex V6 powerplant that, in unmodified condition, is unsuitable for running on unleaded petrol.

As you may recall I have ‘hands-on’ familiarity with the Essex V6 having owned a Scimitar GTE S5 in the 1970s. Buying that vehicle (privately) proved to be a costly mistake as - with hindsight - it had undoubtedly been seriously clocked. When I did some work on the engine I discovered that this had two different designs of cylinder head. Although this did not seem to affect the motor’s running, when it later developed a problem (possibly a fuelling issue) I had it replaced by a engine built by the late-Robin Rew. This was mildly tuned - modified carburettor, different camshaft, tubular exhaust manifolds, etc. - but was still tractable with a diesel-like power delivery, zooming up to 4000-or-so revs and then plateauing. (Rew also offered a turbocharged conversion of the Essex V6 that produced well over 200bhp.) My Scimitar had a manual/overdrive transmission and was very ‘long legged’ as a consequence, but it was heavy on fuel when driven in town and I dread to think about the fuel consumption of an auto-box version dragging a Transit along.

Best of luck - you are a brave man!

Current fuel consumption is around 17/18 mpg 8-) ..........but fortunately with the fuel price dropping from £1.45 a litre to under £1.10, my actual fuel costs have only increased marginally B-) .......

When the head gasket went I had hardened valves fitted ready for when I get around to the lpg conversion, there were some issues with the 3 speed auto box and the tranny's 5.14 rear diff, which mean't I had sparkling acceleration away from the lights :D .........but had the knock on effect at 70 mph of the engine doing 115mph 8-)..........I have now swapped the diff for 4.11 ratio which has reduced my wheelies at the lights now the engine only has to do 90 for me to cruise at 70 mph ;-) .........

Now that I have done it and got the "T" shirt, if I do go down a similar route with Horace, then I'll defo have the doner engine re manufactured before we fitted it, I'd also replace all the ancillaries with new or reconditioned parts (^) ........

Overall I've quite enjoyed the experience, I'm thinking once Fanny is sorted mechanically and bodily, then maybe a stealth camper conversion might be the way to go :-> .........

Recently had stainless steel exhaust fitted for a bargain 500 quid made to measure......

188495892_P1010453(2).JPG.468226ce03e1fd51ea89ea24678193c8.JPG

Archived