14mm blanking plug

tazdog6007

intend replacing gas grill with a microwave oven,and trying to locate a 14mm blanking stop end for the gas connection. it's a chausson camper, and this appears to be an odd size. does anyone know where one can be found.plumbing stores have drawn a blank :'(

The metal gas piping used in motorhomes is normally 8mm or 10mm diameter.

The product Dr Dave used seems to be designed to blank off a gas-tap. I’m not familiar with how Chausson fits a gas grill, but if you wanted to blank off the gas pipe itself, obtaining a suitable compression ‘stop end’ should be straightforward. Example here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compression-Stop-End-Brass-Copper-Plastic-Pipe-Fittings-Gas-LPG-Oil-8mm-35mm-/121444051271

Derek Uzzell - 2016-07-16 8:59 AM

The metal gas piping used in motorhomes is normally 8mm or 10mm diameter.

The product Dr Dave used seems to be designed to blank off a gas-tap. I’m not familiar with how Chausson fits a gas grill, but if you wanted to blank off the gas pipe itself, obtaining a suitable compression ‘stop end’ should be straightforward. Example here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compression-Stop-End-Brass-Copper-Plastic-Pipe-Fittings-Gas-LPG-Oil-8mm-35mm-/121444051271

Derek

The pipe (used on our van) was the type with pre-formed ends these being swaged rather than consisting of a pipe with a cut end and an olive used for sealing. The problem we would have had using a blank as you describe would have been.

1) Cutting the pipe in a very confined space. Which would leave insufficient pipe to fit any other type of blank.

2) The inability to return the 'van to original spec easily if required.

3) The pipe has an enameled type coating which i would imagine is not compatible with olives unless the pipe is cleaned to bare metal.

I am sure that plumbers suppliers would have offered the OP this type of blank if he had needed one as they are quite common.

As i stated previously i left the threaded elbow attached to the pipe as this facilitated fitting the blanking plug and nut as per my link. Alternatively this blank plug and nut will fit on the distribution manifold if it was required to blank the supply at the 'feed' end of the pipe.

Of course the OP's van could be different entirely.

Dave

OK

Regarding the “enameled type coating” on the pipework, my Hobby’s pipework was shiny black-coated and (I think) stainless steel under the coating. Using compression fittings with olives was not a problem, but cutting the pipe was a swine especially (as in your Chausson’s case) when access was difficult.

If the fitting you chose can be used by tazdog6007 that’s clearly the best approach.

How about following the gas pipe to an easier to access point, or a tap, and blanking it off there thus leaving the empty bit of unused gas pipe in place for future use?

It is easy enough to make a blanking plug by filling in the end of a double ended fitting or coupling with solder and tightening it in place on the open end of any pipe.

Hi tazdog,

Am I correct in thinking that what you want is a 14mm diameter male threaded blanking plug?

How accurate is the 14mm dimension given?

You may wish to note that a 1/4" BSP plug would have an external diameter of 13.157mm. with 19 threads per inch.

BSP pipe threads were adopted as an ISO standard, so it would not be unusual to find this thread size used in an MH of continental manufacture.

I hope that this may help.

My recollection of Chausson practice (I was considering buying one in 2004) was that the pipework for a gas-oven was normally pre-installed and, when the oven (optional on Continental-specification motorhomes) was not fitted the end of the gas supply-pipe was just ‘blanked off’’.

Dr Dave has said that on his Chausson swaged-end pipework was employed and he provided a link to a suitable blanking plug. If tazdog6007’s Chausson has the same arrangement, it would be sensible to follow Dr Dave’s approach - why would any right-thinking DIYer choose to do otherwise?

Archived