bad day

bazooka

We arrived at Canterbury air at 9-15pm the barrier was locked (should have checked online) parked behind a lorry near the entrance,at 2am another lorry arrived the kind that the engine run sall night. Give up trying to sleep so set off north for the midlands.We passed the turning for the dartford crrossing (allready paid!) and ended up going through central London.I realized after the sat nav was still on no tolls.Now waiting for my congestion charge.On the positive side we had 3 brilliant weeks of sunshine in Luxembourge, the Alsace, and lake Konstance and came through calais port trouble free.

The congestion charge is 7am to 6pm on weekdays only.

You have a little time to pay in arrears if you were subject to it (and a liitle more if you travelled on Fridays). It is £11.50 if paid by midnight the same day, and £14 if paid by midnight the following weekday.

If you were subject to the charge, then it is worthwhile paying (online) within the timescale, as otherwise you will not get billed for the charge, but receive a Penalty Charge Notice that will cost a minimum of £65.

The Low Emission Zone, however, is permanently in force, and if your vehicle isn't compliant will be quite expensive.

...or, if you don't pay it, a PCN of a minimum of £250 or £500 depending on weight.

BUT, the first time a non-compliant vehicle is seen within the zone, if no payment is made, the owner will receive a warning letter (which, oddly, will also act as an exemption for 28 days!) rather than a PCN.

If you are not the first owner of the vehicle, you'll have to pray that a previous one didn't go through this process, as it is only valid once per vehicle (not once per owner) ;-)

As an ex-Londoner, i find this post very interesting too. I havent set foot or wheel inside the M25 or indeed the LEZ since charges were introduced, and if i have my way, i never will. As London and many other Large Cities voted to stay in the EU, why not let them ? And build customs barriers around them ? Charging them Tolls to enter the Countryside around them, nothing too punitive say 100 pounds a day ? Seems fair to me.

You will be OK on the LEZ charge. I have a 2002 Fiat 2.8, and it complies - apparently any motorhome 2002 or later is currently exempt from LEZ charges, but whether the new mayor will tighten up the rules remains to be seen. On my rare visits to London, I always check beforehand on the Transport for London website - you put in your registration number and it tells you if you are compliant.

Brians dad - 2016-07-17 11:20 PM

You will be OK on the LEZ charge. I have a 2002 Fiat 2.8, and it complies - apparently any motorhome 2002 or later is currently exempt from LEZ charges.....,

....not if it's over 3.5 tonnes........ After Oct 2006 for that.

Archived