1999 fiat ducato radiator fan fuse

phalange

Has anybody any idea where this is located? i went up a very steep hill in France yeasterday and the temp guage was nearly in the red and the fan(s) didn't cut in. i've unplugged the multi plug from the temp sensor at the bottom of the radiator and had a multimeter in the contacts and theres no power at the plug. so i presume its a fuse rather than a relay or the sensor its self. The engine runs at normal temp mostly, it's only done this the once, yesterday.

Thanks

Brian B thank you for the reply. mine is a LHD hymer A class. I've had a look both sides theres no fuses on the rh side but on the left above the battery there are 4 fuses biggest is 30amp. i have checked all these and they are all intact, so the search continues??

I assume the temperature sensor is just a switch and the mult-plug has 2 pins.

Have you tried shorting out the 2 pins on the plug whilst the engine is running to see if the cooling fan works? Normal health and safety procedures apply :-D

phalange - 2016-07-26 1:09 PM

hi Robbo there are 3 pins on the plug and yes ive shorted them out with the ignition on, thats why i know there is no power to any of the pins, ive checked with a meter, this is why im sure its a fuse issue.

regards

Try testing with the engine running. If the fan is operated by a relay it might not function unless the engine is running. Worth a try !!!

Hi, on mine {99 RHD} it is the last one on the top right inside the glovebox, it's a 30 Amp {green) . You may find it is the temperature resistor that is in the top of the radiator cowling on the passenger side.

Please post outcome.

cheers

Just a thought. If yours is a 2.8. The 12 volts live goes to the fans ( ing on or off ). So it is the fans negative returns that are switched to earth by the relays, and those turned on and off I presume by the sensor switches at the bottom of the radiator. You mentioned that there were no 12 volts at the radiator sensor switches. I presume that has 3 connections, I think one should should be grounded earth and the other two the grounded earths for the relay coils. If this is so you could try grounding the other two connections to see if the fans run. If they do run I would I would suspect :- The sensor switch / the 12volt supply to the relay coils / the 40 / 50 amp fuses / a wiring fault or the relays .

Brian B.

ps Or any other coolant sensor switch that maybe in the circuit

Correction to my previous post I think there should be 12 volts at two of the sensor switch connections the third one being grounded to complete the relay switching depending on temperature. If there is no voltage there I would suspect the 12 volt supply to the relay coils has failed . If the 12 volts are there I would suspect the sensor switch.

Brian

i have a 30A fuse next to the battery which will kill the fan, the one in the glovebox i mentioned earlier kills the supply to the relay which then kills the fan.

I thought i'd best mention this as this may be of help.

• 2 months later...

Archived