Amazing Fishguard overnight stay off Ferry

elmoore

Hi, I stayed at a lovely campsite around a mile from Fishguard ferry terminal called TREGROES TOURING & CAMPING SITE it was ideal because I could turn up minutes after making a booking online at pitchup.com I entered the campsite at 1am.. As I drove through the site a fellow camper told me to find a pitch and someone would be there early in the morn to see me. At 8am I was greeted on site, I paid £14 for a Grass pitch with optional electric for 24 hr stay, well worth every penny. How many campsites let you arrive in the early hours with a few minutes notice!!!

I'm surprised people are allowed in at that time of night.

Not very nice for those already fast asleep !

Usually I would expect very late / overnight arrivals to stay in a designated area close to the entrance.

:-|

malc d - 2016-07-27 8:51 PM

Usually I would expect very late / overnight arrivals to stay in a designated area close to the entrance.

I agree. I don't want to be wakened at 1am by an arrival. Pitch in separate area or no arrivals after say 10pm

malc d - 2016-07-27 8:51 PM

I know this site, and doubt if anyone was disturbed by the late arrival, very informal, lots of room.

"Spam" or not, people on here love to whinge about campsites having inflexible access times..and about how they're of no use for ferry arrival/departures etc etc...

..and yet here's one being highlight that seemingly does offer that flexibility,..and folk are still whinging... *-)

I suppose if it was in France everyone would be singing it's praises...?

pepe63 - 2016-07-28 11:38 AM

I suppose if it was in France everyone would be singing it's praises...?

I've seen a number in France near ferry terminals which cater for early departures and late arrivals - but late arrivals usually means up to about 10 pm.

It is more usual, inland, to have areas near the site entrance for late arrivals.

Your apparent willingness to accept being woken up at 1 a.m. by a nearby manouvering turbo diesel and the sound of slamming doors, is commendable.

:-D

malc d - 2016-07-28 12:04 PM

Your apparent willingness to accept being woken up at 1 a.m. by a nearby manouvering turbo diesel and the sound of slamming doors, is commendable.

:-D

I'd probably be up anyway..as I'd be waiting for Tesco to deliver my online groceries to my pitch...(lol) (lol)

In Kirkwall on Orkney we were arriving off a ferry around midnight so phoned in advance and were allocated a pitch number. When we got there somebody else had parked themselves on it so we just took the first empty one that took our fancy. Not much security tho' there is a warden but he works office hours.

elmoore - 2016-07-27 7:32 PM

Hi, I stayed at a lovely campsite around a mile from Fishguard ferry terminal called TREGROES TOURING & CAMPING SITE it was ideal because I could turn up minutes after making a booking online at pitchup.com I entered the campsite at 1am.. As I drove through the site a fellow camper told me to find a pitch and someone would be there early in the morn to see me. At 8am I was greeted on site, I paid £14 for a Grass pitch with optional electric for 24 hr stay, well worth every penny. How many campsites let you arrive in the early hours with a few minutes notice!!!

The ferry from Rosslare arrives in Fishguard at 00.30am or thereabouts, a Train also meets the Ferry (and sounds his horn as he crosses the level crossing in the port) most folk tucked up in their beds at that time find the noise re-assuring, !! TREGROES campsite needs the business, AND there is a Britstop less than half a mile from the Ferry at the SEAVIEW HOTEL who also needs the business, a quick phone call from the ferry to either, will see you catered for, for the night. ...And before you ask, NO, i dont work for either of them, just trying to be helpful to other Motorhomers , as i expect the OP was.

I would not advise parking in the car parks around the harbour, as the the council traffic wardens get up early, and just LOVE to see motorhomers asleep on their patch. One exception is the car park area behind the Murco garage on the seafront, although that is usually full of NOLAN transport lorries, withe their refridgerator motors running, but it has no restrictions....yet. Enjoy !

Archived