hymer

pw9crab

sorry yes its hymer star line 680 2004 I don't now if the 2,2 engine is man enough to tow small car I've seen one around 25000 but I think the fiat with 2,8 would be better bye any help or has any one got one for sell next few months not going abroad until jan next year so can wait for right van to come along

The Hymer Star Line 680 is quite a big beast.

It is built on a 4600kg chassis so should have quite a good payload of probably about 1000kg. It was offered in two habitation seating variants, dinette and L- shaped. The L-shaped layout allows more use of the cab seats. The 2.2 litre Mercedes engine should be adequate but if towing a car then the 2.9 litre engine would probably be more desirable.

The equivalent Fiat based model is the B614 or B644 based on a 3500/3900kg chassis with the 2.8 litre engine. These models are 7.0m long compared to 7.4m for the Star Line 680.

The Fiat based models have more underfloor storage because of the FWD arrangement.

Others should be able to advise on the adequacy of the 2.2 Mercedes engine for your proposed use.

pw9crab - 2016-08-03 6:05 PMsorry yes its hymer star line 680 2004 I don't now if the 2,2 engine is man enough to tow small car I've seen one around 25000 but I think the fiat with 2,8 would be better bye any help or has any one got one for sell next few months not going abroad until jan next year so can wait for right van to come along
We have a Hymer Starline 700 G, which is based on the Mercedes 4200KG chasis, with the 2.2 litre engine, 5 pot engine.It is a sprintshift version, so has an automatic gear box. Six wheeled vehicle.

Bought brand new in 2007, and we have toured mainland Europe extensively, and have been more than happy with the vehicle, and its performance, and has a generous payload. Knowing our vehicle as we do, i would say that the 2.2 litre mercedes engine is more than man enough for your requirements. Make sure that if it is the Mercedes that you go for it is the 5 pot engine, as this is seen to be their best and most balanced engine.

We do not tow a car with us, as we prefer to walk and use public transport where we can - but have seen others tow a small car with a similar vehicle.

Hope this info gives you some help with your initial question.

Thai Bry - 2016-08-04 9:18 AM
pw9crab - 2016-08-03 6:05 PMsorry yes its hymer star line 680 2004 I don't now if the 2,2 engine is man enough to tow small car I've seen one around 25000 but I think the fiat with 2,8 would be better bye any help or has any one got one for sell next few months not going abroad until jan next year so can wait for right van to come along
We have a Hymer Starline 700 G, which is based on the Mercedes 4200KG chasis, with the 2.2 litre engine, 5 pot engine.It is a sprintshift version, so has an automatic gear box. Six wheeled vehicle.

Bought brand new in 2007, and we have toured mainland Europe extensively, and have been more than happy with the vehicle, and its performance, and has a generous payload. Knowing our vehicle as we do, i would say that the 2.2 litre mercedes engine is more than man enough for your requirements. Make sure that if it is the Mercedes that you go for it is the 5 pot engine, as this is seen to be their best and most balanced engine.

We do not tow a car with us, as we prefer to walk and use public transport where we can - but have seen others tow a small car with a similar vehicle.

Hope this info gives you some help with your initial question.

Slight typo, the vehicle is a 2.7 litre engine with 156 BHP engine, so it is rounded up to 160. Signified by Hymer as a Mercedes 416.

Archived