sat nav

pw9crab

hi has any one used sat nav sc5800dvr with dash cam is it worth buying as I let my last sat nav go with the van and now looking to bye new Manley to use Spain Portugal there priced at 290 is this value for money thanks for any help

On the subject of satnav on a tablet, in previous posts , I have been experimenting with copilot on a samsung galaxy 10.2 tablet. I have now found a way of temporarily attaching it and powering it from 12 voltvia the cigarette lighter socket.

I still need a solution to the lack of volume from the tablet.. for the voice directions from Copilot.

there is an earphone socket on the tablet, but I havent yet found a suiteable amplifier. Does anyone know if such a device exists, perhaps via bluetooth or direct wire connection ..

if bluetooth, does the copilot output audio via bluetooth. Details not yet found.

If direct wired type, does copilot output sound to the earphone socket, and at what level/impedance..

tech whizkid Clive or any other genius offer any suggestion..

tonyg3nwl

Hi Tony, I use an 8" Asus tablet wired from headphone socket to a small amp then onto speakers in the dash. If you're electrically minded its not a difficult job to undertake. if you're interested I can supply all the info you need , prices and suppliers. It's not an expensive job. regards Tony Earl :-D

Today I raided the bank and bought the cheapest satnav I could to do the simplest job of taking me there and back plus plotting where I want to stay for the night..

It was a TT from Halfords 5" screen at £84 I believe.

Now I have to learn how it works.

The "alternative publication " (Sept issue) did a product test on Sat Nav apps, for iphones.(Apple & Android) some also suitable for Windows &/or Blackberry devices

What I found annoying was the omission of any mention regarding their suitability for iPads & Tablets or any information regarding the addition POI's.

Price range - Free (some like Tom Tom with chargeable options) to £49.99.

Their choice was the Copilot Caravan (£49.99)

Archiesgrandad - 2016-08-12 12:04 AM

As a fully paid up member of the Ludite persuasion I struggle with all this, but how does the tablet pick up the satellite information?

AGD

Most tablets these days have a GPS module which pick up signals from the satellite.

I have a cheap Tesco Hudl 2 tablet and that has GPS.

tonyg3nwl - 2016-08-10 3:31 PM

On the subject of satnav on a tablet, in previous posts , I have been experimenting with copilot on a samsung galaxy 10.2 tablet. I have now found a way of temporarily attaching it and powering it from 12 voltvia the cigarette lighter socket.

I still need a solution to the lack of volume from the tablet.. for the voice directions from Copilot.

there is an earphone socket on the tablet, but I havent yet found a suiteable amplifier. Does anyone know if such a device exists, perhaps via bluetooth or direct wire connection ..

if bluetooth, does the copilot output audio via bluetooth. Details not yet found.

If direct wired type, does copilot output sound to the earphone socket, and at what level/impedance..

tech whizkid Clive or any other genius offer any suggestion..

tonyg3nwl

We hard wire the iPad into the media player and 'Colin' Co-Pilot dims the music and positively bellows at us. We'd like a way to tone him down!

We don't trust any of them implicitly ... we still check the route they want to take us and compare with a map and sometimes (as in Sicliy) with Satellite Google Maps to check a road. Usually drive with two of them going. So we use:

1. Brad the Sat Nav - ancient Garmin, but I have lifetime maps on it (for what it's worth, as he still misses road configurations that have evidently been there for years). He also tries to go the most direct route ... often through the centre of small towns. But he is useful as he is windscreen mounted and easy for the driver to anticipate the road bends and turns ahead.

2. Madge: Maps.Me on the iPad, which is brilliant for finding the place you want to navigate to, such as car parks, Lidl, marinas etc. We also like it as we've downloaded POIs (wild camping spots mostly) from two other forums we're members of ... click on them and then navigate to them. Will usually take us on the town bypasses. Easy peasy.

3. Colin: Co-Pilot Caravan. We considered buying a caravan sat nav after we blocked a Siclian hill town for 1.5 hours, but the cost and mixed reviews put us off. Then we won this and we download it to the iPad too. Been using it for about 3 months ... it is NOT infallible about getting us down all roads he suggests, but his route suggestions are the best ... will go the main roads even if it is a bit further.... unless you want the scenic route, but then you can bend the path, so he takes you the way you want to. Warnings of speed camera and clear verbal and screen directions. For £50, he's worth every penny

Parkopedia is another useful navigation aid. The App gives you info about car parks in the UK ... price, location, image and the all important ... is there a height barrier.

*-)

Archived