Front Suspension Strut

aka4ajax

I have a 2006 Fiat Ducato based Burtsner 820 Elegance, which I have noticed is leaking oil from the N/S/F suspension strut.

Has anyone had any experience in replacing these?

I have done many a truck, car and bus suspension in the past, so know all about the compression springs and care to be taken with track rod end and camber alignment on the rebuild.

What i need to find out is where is the top mount and how do I access them?

Thanks in advance.

Archiesgrandad - 2016-08-15 11:27 PM

We have a Pilote "A" class, and at some point it required repairs to the strut. To gain access they had to cut into the sidewall of the body, and the inner glass fibre body. We now have a very neat and usefull storage locker on the offside to match the fuel filler.

AGD

I, too, had a Pilote A class, and the strut tops were just accessed from under the dash. It really is quite straightforward. I replaced my own. I have read about the side access, new locker, method on exactly the same model as mine which was absolutely NOT neccessary.

If you think about it, yes an A class has a bespoke front end, and it all looks a bit 'special' but when you sit in the drivers seat the dashboard, floor, pedals, steering wheel are all just standard.

The strut tops will not be immediately visible until the lower cosmetic panels are removed from under the dash. These usually have, at most, a couple of screws each.

Cheers Andy,

I will look under the massive dash as I am sure I seen some odd bits under there the last time i lifted it (to fit new speakers).

Its a job i got scheduled for first week in September so I will get back to you with details.

Neil

aka4ajax - 2016-08-16 7:28 AMCheers Andy,

I will look under the massive dash as I am sure I seen some odd bits under there the last time i lifted it (to fit new speakers).

Its a job i got scheduled for first week in September so I will get back to you with details.

Neil
You talk of "massive dash" and "lifting". You need to be looking up from the floor and in behind the 'standard' Ducato dash, see video in previous post from about 1 minute 20 secs in.

Thats brilliant Andy, I just watched the video and now I know exactly where you mean.

Its the little covered shelf just in front of the door, where I need to look. I am so much happier now seeing the video and reading this post. Thanks again.

Neil

I have identified the location of the top hat (strut tops) so my job is going to be a little easier than i thought.

But now ordering the right parts is looking challenging, unless someone knows the type of Fiat Ducato chassis or model i need to specify when ordering the parts.

Good advice Brian,  I looked at my V5 log book to identify the chassis number, the van model type is written in the Chassis Number....

ZFA244 0000 7384780 - so I assume its a 244 type then.

But have emailed my local dealer Adams Morely of Portsmouth for confirmation of the correct and recommended strut to use.

It isn't difficult. I fitted KYB's to my Pilote when I had it.

I bought a socket to fit the 4 big bolts at the bottom of the strut and a long handle. Came off fine.

You'll need to apply some inward retaining pressure to the drive shafts else they might come out of the gearbox.

Something like this for you I think

http://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/7428480

Part number from here...

http://www.kyb-europe.com/pdf/2016/KYB2016_Shock_Absorbers-Version_A.pdf

Archived