Sat systems

ned

Hi guys! A bit of a problem. Can anyone give advice? We have just swopped our Autotrail 660 for a Hymer Classic 544. On the autotrail I fixed in a Maxview semitronic sat dish system. It was brilliant and very good value as we went all over Europe and it only failed once, when it was blowing a gale. We can't fit a similar system to the 544 as the wardrobe is at the back of the van and already has a pole based, unidirectional TV system and any way the dish would stick out over the back of the van by 300mm(a foot to you Don) when it is in the parked position. Question. Has anyone any experience of using the Maxview omnisat 66 mechanical crank up dish (B2590) as this seems to be the only answer as it can be fixed almost anywhere on the roof and you don't have to hide the ali pole as there is not one. How about reliability of the crank up mechanism and the ease of rotating the dish. Any comments will be taken in the spirit that they are given. :-( ned

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I was considering having one of these fitted as I thought that I'd go for the simplest version. However, the supplier whom I've chosen (Leisurepower of Warrington) recommended the Semi-tronic version. He told me that he's had a Semi-tronic for some years and it has been flawless.

His reason for not liking the crank-up model is that the gear teeth are, in his experience, quite coarse and in a strong wind the dish can move up and down a fraction, but enough to disrupt the signal.

I have no reason to suspect a selling-up job as, whilst the Semi-tronic is slightly dearer, the simpler fitting is £50 less, resulting in a lower price overall.

I'm having it fitted next Tuesday by the way.

I know that this is no help to you but perhaps you could consider a rival product such as the Teleco Magisat range.

www.leisurepower.co.uk

http://www.leisuretechservices.co.uk/

Don't know about the Maxview, but I have fitted a Kathrein dish which is square and flat it is cranked up from inside the van and is fitted on a pole. I find it is very good and quick to locate satellites using a sat' finder. You may be able to use the existing hole in the roof. It is available from Road pro at a good price. Information can be found here.... http://www.kathrein.de/en/sat/products/download/bas60-62.pdf

Thanks for the feedback re;crank up sat.dishes. I think I have come to the conclusion that I would rather pay a bit extra and probably get a fully automatic system such as the camos satdome. They are doing them now that just work when the vehicle is stationary and so are a little cheaper. There are two sizes, 30cm and 40cm - can anyone out there give me any info on using these or how reliable they are as they seem very easy to install - thanks. ned :-S :-S

Archived