Sites open in France October

PJay

As we have been unable to get away this year, hoping to grab 3/4 weeks late Sept to early October, probably will have to stay in France (Usually go to Spain) I know from past experience that lot's of sites close end September. Not sure what area yet. Any recommendations for late season ?

I will have to trawl the ACSI book, but if any one goes that late, how do you get on choosing sites. We are not really into Aires, only in emergencies!

PJay

We use Aires all the time but if you're not into them then have you thought of France Passion sites?

It depends what you want out of the holiday but most of the FP sites are open all year and well away from any madding crowds – and of course cheaper.

We've often been in the Vendee region, and Oleron, in September and generally had good weather.

Lot of sites seem to be open til end Sept. but we just check with ACSI book if we are there into October.

( Not many municipals open in Oct )

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Will look at Acsi web site (Good idea)

Brittany we know very well, have friends living there.

France Passion, worst than Aires! We like to be within a short walk to shop/cafe etc., not out in the sticks, (have no other transport) Shame that municipals don/t stay open, as some are very good.

Depending on how long we can get away for, it may be we can get to Spain.

We sadly have to wait for our commitments to get sorted, before we know how long we can take away.

But I will have a good look at the ACSI and work out where we can get to. Will probably stay with some friends for a few days , down near Potiers/Limoges area

PJay

If you have a laptop that you take with you, I'd suggest getting a copy of the 2106 ACSI DVD (Vicarious Books), and installing it on the laptop. You will then have pretty well the whole set of sites that is on the ACSI website, but will be able to consult it as/when you wish and will not need an internet connection to do so.

Searching the disk for sites stated to be open between mid September and the end of October yields 627 spread across the whole of France, and if that list is filtered for sites with heated sanitary facilities (because it may be a bit nippy in the mornings :-)), there are still 325 still spread widely across France. (The DVD also lists sites across much of Europe, so if the weather is tatty in France, you'll also have a large number of sites from which to choose elsewhere.) So, getting a bit thin on the ground at that time of year, but few areas are without a site.

It will be wise to check alternative sources (for example relatively few municipal sites are included) as well, but the disk is the best readily available, easily searchable, resource I have yet found. It would also be wise to check for sites open all year because whatever the site owners/operators tell ACSI regarding their closing dates, if insufficient people turn up, they are liable to shut early! Can be annoying! :-(

If you want to visit places that don't have nearby camp sites, but prefer sites to aires for overnight stops, consider using an aire or parking area in the place you want to visit, and then drive on to the nearest camp site for the night.

Thanks Brian

We would use aires if need be, but do prefer a camp site. If we can get enough weeks to-gether , we will head for Spain, but may be short on time . As you say the acsi disc might be worth getting

PJay

Archived