What is ... a Motor Caravan ?

Will86

In my view a Motor Caravan comes under the category of 'Fashion'.

Not essential. Of limited use. Frequently changeable. Of flexible construction. A limited market. Often bought on a whim.

Like all fashion items many users manage and use them very well but in general they are a 'throw away item'. regardless of whatever cost.

They are an engineers toy, meaning that they are an object that requires constant adjustment and will almost never be perfect.

Users who have little engineering knowledge will struggle to maintain a useable vehicle without committing to paid repairs.

Will

Agree 1

Agree 2 except the money is thrown away, not the product

Agree 3 except that they are an object that encourages constant adjustment - unless you refer to servicing/maintenance.

Agree strongly with 4 which is linked to 3.

I'd refer to them in the trendy name of 'lifestyle' rather than fashion. A motor caravan simply provides us with a certain way of living our life.

In reply to the question, a Motorhome is a means to an end, not necessarily an end in itself, although some are treated like they are.

That end is being able to get away, when commitments allow, with very little pre booking or even planning, unless a specific site or place is required,

Being able to stop on route, use your own toilet, take your time, have a meal, enjoy the journey, make the journey part of the holiday, or make the journey the whole holiday. I am sure i could make more suggestions...given time. They are not status symbols, though some think theirs is ! Most motorhomes eventually die (although most are incrediblly long lived) through lack of use, rather than being worn out. If you have a motorhome, be kind to it.......use it! End of advert.

I wouldn't agree that a Motorhome is a fashion item although the definition would be different for all. For a few it's their occupation or their full time home.

For us it's a hobby - "Of or pertaining to an avocation, hobby, or leisure-time pursuit; that occupies one's leisure; existing apart from or in addition to one's regular occupation"

Owning one certainly isn't a necessity, and if life went pear shaped it would be the first thing sold if I needed the cash. However it allows us to go to places in quite some comfort and brings plenty of lifestyle benefits.

MH are a compromise, fitting as much as possible into a small space, if you want to constantly adjust, add, alter, and tinker, that's fine and I can see the attraction of doing that, however our MH is going to remain as standard as possible, there is no "perfect" - rather can I live with it? Hopefully the designer has done a reasonable job to start with, and if not, we'll work around it. The van is there to be used.

I am no expert and have no engineering knowledge, hopefully some common sense though, - But I have learned the basic's of some MH repairs - partly with the help of many texts on this forum, I do need to have a paid vehicle service annually - but can manage basic MH repairs, -in the past 9 months, we replaced a blind which got ripped by the dog, figured out our MES Fridge, our toilet door mechanism destroyed itself, and our heating "tripped" when we ran out of water, didn't pay anyone for the repairs, only for the parts.

Our van is to use - to go out and about most weekends, get to different places etc.

Now to try an make a sensible response rather than my previous sarcastic one.

My motorhome bought new was certainly a luxury for me, and had no intention of keeping it more than a few months and trading it in (sell back to dealer) as was a cheaper option than renting for a few months.

Fell in Love with the Motorhome lifestyle for holidays and probably overall in the past 13 years cost me about the same as it would on package holidays or hotels. Now I do have the advantage I can do all my own servicing and repairs bar things that need say a 20 ton press like wheel bearings.

I bought a budget priced Motorhome, a McLouis 432 and the layoput is perfect for us and love the large side windows for a panoramic view despite them now de-bonding and costing a lot in expensive glue to re-bond . So yes even a budget Motorhome is a luxury but certainly NOT a fashion statement. However I dare say many do have to buy the latest models and gadget fitted Motorhomes with all the latest styles and that IS a fashion statement when previous one certainly was adequate. Maybe I am different, when I buy something I learn to like it for what it is not dislike it for what it is not. Necessity, yes if I want to enjoy roaming the countryside staying where I like with beautiful scenery to view in the middle of nowhere and not disturbing anyone.....luxury compared to a tent and a clapped out car or bicycle it certainly is. My idea of a fashion statement would be arriving at a campsite on a bike wearing Armani clothes and Jimmy Choo shoes. Arriving in a posh up market gold plated tapped Motorhome is just and extravagant waste of money.

Guest pelmetman

To some of us its a treasured family heirloom.........but unlike that picture of ugly aunt Maud, a very useful one :D .........

Brambles - 2016-08-18 5:18 PM

My idea of a fashion statement would be arriving at a campsite on a bike wearing Armani clothes and Jimmy Choo shoes.

Arriving in a posh up market gold plated tapped Motorhome is just and extravagant waste of money.

My idea of a fashion statement is arriving on a Free Aire wearing a Matalan shirt, Tesco shorts with sandals - with socks of course - preferably garish colours!

Our van does not have gold taps but it is nice to drive with rattles and squeaks nicely subdued, good to sit in with comfortable velour seats, good to live in with everything just the way we like it, good to sleep in with very comfortable beds and all in all well worth the extra cost over and above a budget model in our view.

More to the point, what else would we do with the cash and whilst we go SKIing (Spending Kids Inheritance) we are having fun and doing our bit for the UK by helping keep the economy going. Long may it last!

Just a personal view - others may hold differing views!

So who needs fashion? Not me that's for sure!

Bulletguy - 2016-08-18 4:01 PM

A "Motor Caravan" is simply an all in one caravan.....a caravan with engine, gearbox, steering wheel and driven road wheels (front or rear).

It's also the legal definition as per V5 irrespective of cost.

Evidently (as far as the UK is concerned) there are minimum criteria that should be met for a vehicle to be categorised as a “motor caravan”. The current thinking is summarised as folows:

SLEEPING ACCOMMODATION

There must be a bed with a minimum length of 6ft or 180cms

The bed must be an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation area

The bed must be permanent or converted from seats (the bed can fold away during the day)

The bed fixtures must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side walls, unless it is over the drivers cab compartment.

DOOR

There must be a horizontal sliding door or an outward opening rear or side door.

SEAT AND TABLES

There must be a seating area for diners to sit around

The table can be fixed or detachable

The table must mount directly to the vehicle floor or side walls

The table mounting must be secured as a permanent feature, either bolted screwed or welded. The table itself can be detachable.

Seats must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side walls

The seats must be secured as a permanent fixture, either bolted, riveted, screwed or welded

Permanently secured seating must be available for use at a table

WATER CONTAINER

The DVLA does not state any requirements regarding water storage. Most insurance companies state that there shold be a water reservoir onboard, or under the chassis. However, some insurance companies are happy with an external water container that can be moved, such as those used with a caravan.

STORAGE

The vehicle must have at least one cupboard, locker or wardrobe

The cupboard must be an integral part of the living accommodation area

The cupboard must be a permanent feature, either bolted, riveted, screwed or welded

The cupboard must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and / or side walls

COOKING

The vehicle must have cooking facilities powered by fixed gas, electric hob or microwave oven

The cooking facilities must be secured directly to the vehicle floor or side wall

The cooking facilities must be a permanent feature, either bolted, riveted, screwed or welded

Gas and electric hobs must have a minimum or 2 cooking rings. Microwave ovens must have a power source

Gas cooking facilities with remote fuel supplies must have the gas reservoir and gas supply pipe firmly secured to the vehicle structure

OUTSIDE

The vehicle must have at least one side window

(Since 2011 the DVLA are now asking that the vehicle look like a motor caravan from the outside. The details are yet unclear what is required.)

Archived