Ducato 2.8JTD fuel leak

MrWoo

I’m hoping Nick will be able to help me with this.

3 years ago my 2001 Ducato 2.8 JTD failed the MOT with a fuel leak, a faulty high pressure fuel pump was diagnosed and a new pump was fitted. When I picked it up I took it for a test run on a motorway and the leak was still there, I took it straight back and after 2 hours and 4 test runs they said the leak was fixed. I had no more trouble until last month I had a new clutch fitted and the leak is back. It seems to come from above the oil filter which is where I think the fuel pump is located. It’s not a bad leak and only seems worse when the engine is under heavy load such as climbing a steep hill.

The fuel pump I had replaced 3 years ago cost in the region of £800 plus labour and has only done around 7,000 miles surely it should last a lot longer or could it be something as simple as a failed seal .

George.

Hi George,

The HP pumps on 2.8JTD's are prone to leaking but will last for, on average 6 or 7 years without problems. The fuel pipes attached to it can be a little problematic. The feed is by a plastic coupling which should be fine and the output is a metal pipe with a nut and it seems likely that either the nut is damaged or the pipe is not seating properly. It is incredibly difficult to check these in situ because of the lack of access but if you clean the area down thoroughly and then check for a minor leak with the engine idling and using a torch and a telescopic mirror you should be able to pinpoint the problem. It will probably be easiest to do this from underneath with it on a ramp.

It is also possible that there is a problem with a leak off pipe from the top of the injectors, any fuel that leaks from the top of the engine will run down the front of the engine in the vicinity of the pump, so it might not be the pump or it's connectors at all.

Best of luck, please let us know how you get on.

Nick

Took the motorhome to the garage yesterday, as the leak only appears under heavy load they spent 4 hours and many test drives and traced it to number 3 injector which they re-seated and are 99% sure that has fixed it. I took it on a long motorway climb with my right foot hard to the floor and found no evidence of the leak so only time will tell.

George.

Archived