Sat nav which one

Tomo

Hi David

Here is the Manual for the Trucker 5000.

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/trucker/refman/TomTom-Trucker-EU-RG-en-gb.pdf

The displays and operating methodology detailed in the above is exactly the same as on my GO5000 so I would suggest the only difference is that you are able to input data re the vehicle concerned and that provided the mapping data is accurate and the routing Algorithams correct then it should suggest the best suitable routes.

As I have said about the Garmin I have found map and routing oddities in the area where I live which result in iit doing some very silly things. It has however just taken us successfully to Durness and back with only 2 litlle errors. Tried to direct us into Morrissons in Fort William via the Railway Station car park and directing us into a dead end going to the C & C Campsite in Moffat.

From experience I have seen the TT and Garmin units suggest different routes between two points for Van or car. It has also been the case that they do not recommend the same routes for the same vehicles and in both instances where this has happened the Garmins route was longer.

Regarding the POI's on the TT trucker I would assume that it is the same as on mine which means POI's are only displayable on a map when you are searching and once you have created the route they are no longer seen. If it was anything else at the moment then there would be cries for units like mine to be updated to be the same.

Which ever way you decide to go there will be occasions when things don't go as you would like. Whilst the Trucker includes Lifetime maps it only has 1 years Traffic and Safety Cameras. The Garmin includes Lifetime Maps and Digital Traffic but Safety cameras is 1 year. Included on my Garmin was the Acsi campsites and MHF Camper Stops and Campsites. My experience would suggest the Traffic on the TT is better.

Doug

For anyone with the Garmin 760 Camper version (and Dezl variant), please note that you need the Garmin BC20 reversing camera, not the BC30. I bought one earlier this year when my old reversing system failed. As I already had the Garmin 760 Satnav, it was the cheapest option (although I now need the satnav on the windscreen and powered up in order to have a rear view).

I had a little difficulty obtaining the Garmin BC20 reversing camera as they apparently had stopped making it and there were not many about. I have just done a quick search and it looks like Garmin have had a change of heart and there are plenty available.

As for my Garmin 760 Camper satnav, I thought I had made a great mistake and wasted a lot of money buying it. I stuck with it and after a couple of updates, it now seems to work properly. It would never reroute when needed and took the motorhome the long way round needlessly on a few occasions. Just lately it has been spot on and I now have more confidence in it.

One major fault with Garmin is the third party POI's. You cannot get them to show up on the screen ..... UNLESS your destination is one of them and you have selected it. Then they will appear on the screen.

DJA - 2016-09-24 11:11 AM

Hi David

Here is the Manual for the Trucker 5000.

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/trucker/refman/TomTom-Trucker-EU-RG-en-gb.pdf

The displays and operating methodology detailed in the above is exactly the same as on my GO5000 so I would suggest the only difference is that you are able to input data re the vehicle concerned and that provided the mapping data is accurate and the routing Algorithams correct then it should suggest the best suitable routes.

As I have said about the Garmin I have found map and routing oddities in the area where I live which result in iit doing some very silly things. It has however just taken us successfully to Durness and back with only 2 litlle errors. Tried to direct us into Morrissons in Fort William via the Railway Station car park and directing us into a dead end going to the C & C Campsite in Moffat.

From experience I have seen the TT and Garmin units suggest different routes between two points for Van or car. It has also been the case that they do not recommend the same routes for the same vehicles and in both instances where this has happened the Garmins route was longer.

Regarding the POI's on the TT trucker I would assume that it is the same as on mine which means POI's are only displayable on a map when you are searching and once you have created the route they are no longer seen. If it was anything else at the moment then there would be cries for units like mine to be updated to be the same.

Which ever way you decide to go there will be occasions when things don't go as you would like. Whilst the Trucker includes Lifetime maps it only has 1 years Traffic and Safety Cameras. The Garmin includes Lifetime Maps and Digital Traffic but Safety cameras is 1 year. Included on my Garmin was the Acsi campsites and MHF Camper Stops and Campsites. My experience would suggest the Traffic on the TT is better.

Doug

Thanks Doug - informative as ever.

Of the available models with vehicle typesize input my preference would be for the TomTom Trucker just because I am so used to their mapping and software now plus the bad experience with Garmin Nuvi I described earlier.

It's a bit pricey but there are online sellers at around £260 with a few accessories - wonder what Santa thinks?

David

david lloyd - 2016-09-24 5:33 PM

It's a bit pricey but there are online sellers at around £260 with a few accessories - wonder what Santa thinks?

David

Think Santa might say - for that price you could buy a Tablet AND CoPilot Caravan app.

Sorry if I keep repeating myself :-D

Hi Robbo

Could you advise me what route CoPilot caravan would recomend between the centre of Borough Green and DA37NA as the start and finish so that I can see what it recommends. This is near where I live and various options make different suggestions.

Doug

Hi Doug

I don't have CoPilot Caravan (it was only released fairly recently) but the basic version which is set to RV.

From DA37NA to Borough Green, CoPilot gives 3 alternative routes:

Route 1 - 10.0 miles using B260/A227/A25.

Route 2 - 10.8 miles using B260/A227/A20/A25.

Route 3 - 20.0 miles via M25 and M20.

There does seem to be some confusion around Meopham. Route 1 uses the B255/Melliker Lane/A227 and Route 2 uses B255/Huntingfield/A227.

So, since you know the area well, what's the verdict Good or Bad ?

Hi Robbo

The route should be via the B260 to the end then turn right onto the A227 then A25. Melliker Road is an unnecessary diversion from the route you should take and is a Single Track road with Blind bends and the Route via Huntingfield Road which is through a Housing Estate and not overly wide is a similar inappropriate route.

Via the M25 and the A20 is the route a Garmin camper GPS suggests. It totally ignores the A227 which is a suitable route..

If you input from Borough Green to the Post code does it suggest the same routes or does it include a route via Fairseat..

Doug

Hi Doug

The routing I gave you was actually from Borough Green to the post code. Sorry about that.

When I reverse the start and destination the route via Meopham is, as you say, follow the B255 to the intersection with the A227 where you turn right.

Maybe when going from Borough Green to the post code, there is a "no left turn" which prevents turning from the A227 to the B260 ? That's what the mapping seems to be showing. Consequently, it diverts you via Melliker Lane.

Non of the suggested routes go through Fairseat.

Hope this helps.

Hi Robbo

I asked the question because going via Fairseat has cropped up as the first choice route when using Here Maps . I certainly would not even take that route in my car.

It is perfectly okay to turn left off the A227 into the A260 (Longfield Road) although the Garmin Camper currently wants you to firstly go through the Shop Parade Parking area which is yards beyond the turn.. At no point do you use the A255.

I have just used the Garmin Camper unit, which was given to me, on a trip to Durness and back with it just making a couple of small errors. In the area where I live it makes some major errors in its routing which means I am always wondering if the routes suggested elsewhere are really the best..The Tomtoms seem to have no problems in our area and certainly have a more accurate map and have served me very well for years with few routing horrors..

Personally I prefer to use a purpose built unit for my routing but it is useful to know what I could fall back on using my phone or a tablet if my units fail. There have been some people saying they have been having problems with CoPilot but you get the similar comments re the Garmins and TT's thats why genuine feedback is useful..

Whatever you use the chances are is that at some time it will try to take you somewhere you don't want to go,wished you hadn't or was further than was necessary.. Most however work okay to a greater or lesser degree when coupled with some grey matter.

Doug

Correction, in my second sentence, delete reference to B255 and insert B260. Hope that makes more sense now.

My attention was distracted looking at the M25 routing where you would take the..... B255/A2/M25 etc.

If your Garmin took you via the M25 then perhaps there is something in your settings that needs tweaking. You can tweak the settings in CoPilot for your particular preference, like "avoid motorways" or "prefer motorways" or somewhere in between.

I've had the rare misleading routing using CoPilot but it's taken us all around Europe with very few problems. My wife is a very good navigator using paper maps, so always keeps an eye on where the satnav is taking us. As you say, it's still essential to use a bit of grey matter.

Hi Robbo

I have just realised that you really meant the B255 was suggested for the M25 route. I certainly would not recommend that route especially on the stretch along Highcross Road passed "The Old West Barn" road.Southfleet Just look on Google Earth and you would see what I mean. I would go along the A260 and join the M25 that way or go down New Barn Road to the Roundabout South of the A2 and turn West from there if I wanted to go via the M25, which I wouldn't.

Regarding the settings on the Garmin I don't think that is a problem particulary as I got someone else to try it on their unit and the result was the same.

Also if you look at the next Exit from the A2 east of the junction with the A227, New Barn Road into Hall Road, in Motorhome setting the Garmin refuses to use the stretch of road between the Roundabout South of the A2 and the Roundabout North of it outside Sainsburys. Also the map does not show the new turning just North of the Bridge where over 2 years ago they put Traffic Lights and a turn to join the A2 going West.. There are now width or weight restrictions.

Regrettably my copilot whilst ace at Knitting or Beading patterns etc is Map blind.

Whatever we choose to use hopefully they will help us enjoy the journey.

Doug

Archived