Polishing your motorhome

Phil and Lol

For those that might need non silicon products;

Try searching for "international. Yachting.com"

I have been using the polish-wax product, works well but on retrospect I maybe should have used their liquor rubbing to clean the surfaces first. I have a few marks where I have polished and waxed, probably from old wax and grime although the mhome was Fenwicked before I polished.

Rgds

I also have a problem on the rear panel of my van. I bought a tin of Simoniz Original Wax (in paste form). Luckily I only did the rear as it has dried on and I cannot remove it. There seems to be an American product for removing dried on wax but nothing in the UK.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Charles - 2016-08-30 8:02 PM

For the main annual polish I use Harly Carnauba Wax, then when going away I take Aldi waterless wash/wax which dissolves flies cleans and waxes in one.

as pointed out by Derek polishing and waxing have two different aims. So a polish won't wax and a wax won't polish. A polish has to have an abrasive ingredient to remove blemishes & scratches etc. A wax has to add a protective coat to repel water, pollutants and insects sticking to an unprotected surface. Harly state that there product has no abrasive ingredients so is not a polish... But it is a very good wax on a par with Magquires. Both from The USA

With ref to removing old wax.

I would try a two bucket method, one holding hot water and a car wash (not wash n wax!) , the other with hot water as a rinse bucket.

Then gently using a hard sponge, wash and rinse, wring the rinsed sponge dry and try washing the next area.

Probably better than trying a pressure wash or chemical removal.

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2017-06-11 12:58 PM

With ref to removing old wax.

I would try a two bucket method, one holding hot water and a car wash (not wash n wax!) , the other with hot water as a rinse bucket.

Then gently using a hard sponge, wash and rinse, wring the rinsed sponge dry and try washing the next area.

Probably better than trying a pressure wash or chemical removal.

Rgds

Thanks Tony, I will give it a try this week.

This is not a simple DIY job. First you have to clean these abs and polyesther sub srates. Their coats are different compared to your car. Called gel coats. In case of white they age to yellow. Repaint is the only solution or use black in case of mirrrors. Another option is to go for nano or ceramic coats. Has his price and lifetime but away of the black stripes for some time in case of a outdoor sleeper.

• 5 months later...

Having read this and other articles on the topic of polishing/waxing I now understand the process much better!

However, there is some debate about regular (3 or 4 times a year) polishing and the possibility that it may cause more harm than good.. Personally, I have rarely 'polished' the motorhome but have waxed it a couple of times a year. It seems, to get the best finish and protection, I should first 'polish' the motorhome then wax it perhaps four times a year. There are also many different views about just which products to use.

So, I have a 2015 Hymer B544 PL with the Grey/Gold (depending on how you see it) painted aluminium paintwork on the sides but what I believe is GRP cab/rear with the same colour paintwork and possibly a gel coat finish. I would like to maintain the best finish and protection but I do find the washing/waxing process more and more exhausting so a new product from Meguires - Mirror Bright Polishing Wax - has some attractions. Not inexpensive but very attractive in terms of only one application instead of two. But, is it any good and is it suitable for both surfaces?

David

fjmike - 2017-11-21 6:02 PM

Not sure about Megiuars Mirror Bright as it's a newish product, not sure if it lasts. Once polished (properly) it shouldn't need doing again for years if protected by wax.

Thank you Mike, didn't know this was your speciality but glad of the advice to only polish once a year - I can live with waxing fairly regularly. So of the good polishes available are they suitable for the differing surfaces?

David

After taking delivery of my Rapido motorhome in April 2015 I gave it a good wash/shampoo and then waxed it with this product

https://www.bilthamber.com/waxes-polishes-and-clay-bars/double-speed-wax

Since then, although it has been necessary to polish minorl areas (I use Autoglym Super Resin merely because I’ve got some!) the vast majority of the vehicle’s bodywork has needed no extra treatment - polishing or waxing - just requiring normal washing/shampooing. Water still ‘beads’ on the bodywork’s surface as well as it did when I waxed it over two years ago.

There is plenty of on-line information about polishing/waxing vehicles and all of the advice emphasises that proper preparation must be carried out before waxing.

You shouldn't need to polish every year David, depending on which wax you use, most will last at least six months. BUT if you use too harsh a shampoo or Traffic Film Remover both these periods will be drastically reduced. I recommend my customers not to use anything with motorhome or caravan in the title as they are usually far too strong.

Polish is Polish although there may be different levels of abrasion. So it removes a (tiny?) layer of paint and thereby smooths out the surface below.

So polishing your van should be a rare event and only when necessary.

Autoglym Super Resin Polish is a good product but it offers no protection.

Wax is wax and it does offer protection.

The term "wax polish" creates confusion. Is it a wax or a polish or some sort of amalgam of the two ?

So deciding what you want to achieve and carefully looking at the nature and application of wax and polish products is essential to understanding what product is appropriate. There is no "one size fits all".

Thanks to everyone for their contributions. I suppose my confusion originally came about as the result of the term 'polishing' being used in the same way as 'Hoover' came to be used instead of 'vacuum' and I too would refer to 'polishing' the van or car when I really was 'waxing' them!

In recent times I have been using a product called 'Showroom Shine' which, it is fabled, can be used without first washing the vehicle (although I always do) and it dissolves the dirt in a microfibre cloth leaving a coat of Carnuba wax. The finish is very good I have to say but doesn't last too long, previously I have used the standard liquid waxes such as Turtle Wax but, as with all these type of products, I am irritated by the white coating it leaves on the black or vinyl surfaces.

I'm glad Mike that I don't have to polish AND wax each time (as my arms simply won't take the strain!) so I am now seeking recommendations for the best polish to use once a year or when needed after that and the best wax to keep a good protective shine even when the vehicle is washed after every use. Preferably brands that do not leave the white residue on other surfaces. As you may be able to tell, I do not use a polishing machine but good old fashioned elbow grease and microfibre cloths.

Final call for your best nominations.

David

HymerVan - 2017-11-22 8:17 AM

Polish is Polish although there may be different levels of abrasion. So it removes a (tiny?) layer of paint and thereby smooths out the surface below.

So polishing your van should be a rare event and only when necessary.

Autoglym Super Resin Polish is a good product but it offers no protection.

Wax is wax and it does offer protection.

The term "wax polish" creates confusion. Is it a wax or a polish or some sort of amalgam of the two ?

So deciding what you want to achieve and carefully looking at the nature and application of wax and polish products is essential to understanding what product is appropriate. There is no "one size fits all".

Sorry I should have read Dereks post(s) more carefully.

The above points are well covered but perhaps my emphasis is useful.

Another vote for Collinite 476S wax. Just do a small area at a time and buff-up straight away with a microfibre cloth. In cold weather, warm up the tin by partially immersing in hot water.

For polishing, I use Menzerna Super Finish Plus 3800 (PO85RD). This is a low-cut polish rated at 2 out of 10 (where 1 is light-cut and 10 is heavy-cut). Free of silicone and fillers. Made in Germany. A full range of polish is available ranging from Heavy, Medium and Light (ie.their Finish range).

Link to example here: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/polish/menzerna-250ml/prod_218.html

Not keen on waterless wash systems, ok on a totally clean van but just a minute amount of road dirt could be catastrophic. If you need a wax that will last you 12 months then Collinite 476 is the one to go for, but remember to only wash the van with a car wax wash in between, I would recommend Megiuars Gold waxwash, it's a bit expensive but well worth it.

Archived