Drip strip for sliding door on PVCs

Colin Leake

I seem to remember someone here reporting a dealer fitting a self adhesive drip stop above their sliding door. Sounds like a good idea to me but I can't find any details anywhere. Any information would be most appreciated. I could knock something up myself but it might not look very good so I'm reluctant to go down that route.

Colin, I think there is a plastic self adhesive drip strip but not sure who supplies it - or if it is very good. On our previous IH vans we have always had a length of aluminium 'J' rail fitted above the sliding door. This is readily available from dealerships or people like O'Learys and can be attached with sikaflex I think.

First van we had it colour coded but the next was left plain aluminium and didn't look unsightly on a White Gold Ducato. It certainly stops most of the water that runs off the roof going straight into the van but not much help in driving rain if the door is left even slightly ajar.

David

If the OP has a wind out awning he could extend it slightly and avoid the drips.

That's what we do on a coachbuilt when it's raining, it allows the hab door to be opened without letting the rain in. We also have side clips on the side of the van to support the awning when it's further out.

I don't think any drip rail will stop rain penetrating the inside of the van, it will just divert light rain.

Robbo - 2016-09-10 8:41 PM

If the OP has a wind out awning he could extend it slightly and avoid the drips.

That's what we do on a coachbuilt when it's raining, it allows the hab door to be opened without letting the rain in. We also have side clips on the side of the van to support the awning when it's further out.

I don't think any drip rail will stop rain penetrating the inside of the van, it will just divert light rain.

Robbo, our panel vans were fitted with a wind out awning but, as it did not have the seal fitted between the van and the awning casing, it did not prevent water running straight from the roof and into the van when the door was opened. This, I think, is what the OP is hoping to stop with a drip rail. As you say, it doesn't stop it raining in but it does divert rain from the roof to either side of the door.

David

Colin Leake - 2016-09-10 2:27 PM

I seem to remember someone here reporting a dealer fitting a self adhesive drip stop above their sliding door. Sounds like a good idea to me but I can't find any details anywhere. Any information would be most appreciated. I could knock something up myself but it might not look very good so I'm reluctant to go down that route.

FIAMMA do a good one called Dripstop strip, comes in grey or white and in 1500,3000 and 10000 mm strip lengths. The 3000mm one costs 24 pounds. Just type in Fiamma drip stop to get several suppliers.

I ordered a length of the chaneling from ABP Accessories via the link in Grahamw's post above at about 2 pm yesterday. It arrived 1230 today! Quick. It took 20 minutes to fit it to the van, including cleaning time. It remains to see how well it works, but it looks OK to me. I will attempt to attach a photo, but I'm not very confident I can make it go.

Archived