"Britain Passion?"

Tony Jones

We used "France Passion" (www.france-passion.com) for the first time this year, and were really impressed. But it set me thinking. Here in Britain we don't have many vineyards, and many of our farms are a bit "industrial." But what we DO have plenty of, in quantity and quality, is country PUBS. Many of them do meals but only have limited accommodation, and I'm sure they've all been hit by our perfectly proper reluctance to drink and drive. Can you see where I'm going?

Suppose someone (no, I'm not volunteering, I don't have the contacts or the time!) drew together a network of pubs where people with self-contained motorhomes or campervans could go for a meal, and stay over in the car park! No other money changing hands, no "facilties" offered, just a friendly arrangement which could be used either by tourists or by relative "locals" wanting a meal out without having to stick to orange juice.

Not quite the same as FP (where there's no obligation to buy anything) but something Britain could do better than anyone else!

What do you all think?

there are quite a few Pubs with CL/CS facilities attached, but you need to be a member of the CC or C&CC to use them, There are also some Pubs with private sites attached. a list was put together on another forum.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=117

You could of course ask the publican if you could stay in the carpark overnight after partaking of his hospitality.

jules

bigmoney2 - 2006-12-05 4:27 PM You could of course ask the publican if you could stay in the carpark overnight after partaking of his hospitality. jules

My wife and I did this very thing a few weeks ago.  We were in Ryton-on-Dunsmore and we met up unexpectedly with friends who suggested we trundle off for a pub meal.  I rang the pub and said that there would be 5 in for a meal tonight, and would it be possible, if we were ever so quiet and self-contained, to stay over in the car-park.  The publican was very obliging and we all ate too much!, drank too much! (to drive) and wandered 10 metres to our waiting beds!

Brilliant!  I would gladly have paid a fiver if needed.

I suspect if you research on any of the campsite lists, you'll find quite a few, and I guess there is probably a search on the Caravan CLub Internet listing of CLs which might produce some, although as stated you do have to be a memebr to use them.

There are some however which may be listed more as a 'campsite', and we found one in Skipton recently, which though listed under the C&CC was not members only, and indeed seemed to be more than just the 5! Excellent spot, too, superb views over the north York moors, and an easy walk (or taxi) to town, plus great pub.

The other eway to find these very often is to e-mail the local tourist office, and they seem to have good listings - this is how we found the one at Skipton.

Tony, its already being done by people in the know, a customer of mine drives a large RV, he travels the uk like the rest of us but he never stops over on sites, for years now he has pulled up at a pub/hotel politely asked if it would be alright to park up for the night making it clear he wants food and drink, with only one refusal (the landlords brother in law owned the local site).He now has a network of pubs/hotels he visits semi regularly.I'll spare his blushes but when you see him you'll know he likes his chuck!

oorgiz :->

bigmoney2 - 2006-12-05 4:27 PM

there are quite a few Pubs with CL/CS facilities attached, but you need to be a member of the CC or C&CC to use them, ....

Do you actually, really really - I have never been asked for my membership card....?

Archived