USB ports

Barcobird

In most motorhomes sockets and plugs are few and far between. On modern models you now get a couple of USB points. With ever more electronic gadgets to charge while on the move I thought of buying multi port USB connectors. I realize if you use a plug in the mains it will charge but what if I buy one with a USB connector instead and plug it into the vans USB outlet, will it charge several devices or is it just for peripherals to connect a laptop or similar to a pen or storage device?

I just have a 4 way 12v bank of cigar type lighter sockets in the wardrobe permanently wired in. I have about three or four single usb adaptors which you can buy from the pound shop which just plug into them so I can have four devices charging at any one time.

I didnt like the sockets with usb being permanently fitted as they have a very small power draw once wired in. The bank of 4 12v sockets do not.

...the current output of most USB sockets is very limited. Even if you found a configuration that worked, you'd be distributing that limited output amongst more devices than it was really meant to cope with, pretty unsuccessfully (as far as charging is concerned) I would predict.

I use a 13amp plug adaptor which has 3 USB sockets, Usually this is linked up for charging two mobile phones, and also a dongle, and seems to do the job adequately, or if needed, I can use it to charge the camera and/or SatNav and again have found it works well enough. .

Keith T - 2016-10-03 9:24 PM

I use a 13amp plug adaptor which has 3 USB sockets, Usually this is linked up for charging two mobile phones, and also a dongle, and seems to do the job adequately, or if needed, I can use it to charge the camera and/or SatNav and again have found it works well enough. .

That requires mains electric ?

...if you have the odd standard 12V socket (which will normally be rated at something up to 10 amps), then something like the following might be the answer:

12VUSB

..this is used as an example only; there are all sorts of similar items around at differing prices. If you have a habitation area standard 12V socket, it can be used on-site but off-mains. Transferred to the dash, it can be used during travelling.

Robinhood - 2016-10-03 10:05 PM

...if you have the odd standard 12V socket (which will normally be rated at something up to 10 amps), then something like the following might be the answer:

12VUSB

..this is used as an example only; there are all sorts of similar items around at differing prices. If you have a habitation area standard 12V socket, it can be used on-site but off-mains. Transferred to the dash, it can be used during travelling.

You must have read my mind, I was trying to post a picture(haven't worked out how to do it yet), I though it might be a viable solution *-) hopefully there will be several 12 volt sockets spread around the van

Barcobird - 2016-10-03 9:48 PM

Keith T - 2016-10-03 9:24 PM

That requires mains electric ?

Yes, it does! but as we are hooked up to mains almost always when away that's no problem.

I do have a 'battery bank charger' (think that's what they are called), which I keep charged up fully, and that will re-charge four units without itself needing recharging. always a useful standby.

Archived