Motorhome stabilisers?

michaelmorris

My wife often needs a sleep during the day. If we're away in our Elddis Autoquest 200 motorhome this means I have to either stay outside, or inside, because if I go in and out the rocking of the van on its suspension tends to wake her up

It struck me that if I were to fit a stabiliser next to the step, this could greatly reduce this effect. Would this work?

If yes, what model of stabiliser would be the cheapest and easiest to fit and deploy?

Thanks

Agree with the above, our Coachbuilt had a large overhang at the back, our van used to move even in strong winds, a set of 4 Fiamma jacks(stabilisers) solved the problem, cheaper than having rear steadies fitted, and you can use them on your next van if needed. Usually several sets on e bay, plastic or alloy.

Erm ?.

The answer to me seems so simple I'm clearly missing something, my motorhome has two windbdown stabilisers bolted to existing holes on the chassis-member just behind the rear wheels. They look as if they are an aftermarket purchase though they may be only for the Al-Ko chassis.

These stabilisers do exactly what you need though you do need to be on hard ground or you need something to increase thier small footprint to stop them digging in.

My van is a Burstner Elegance, made by Homer. That could give you a start for a search.

Morning folks,

Recently on a campsite I noticed that one van had scissor jacks under each corner at the jacking points which I thought was unusual, they also made strange noises, not the jacks but the couple, so I wondered if this could be connected. The van did have a large overhang.

norm

The Al-Ko stabilisers that Noody speaks of cost c. £300 so are not a cheap solution. They fit pre-drilled holes in the chassis (although Bailey 740/745 owners first have to re-route the gas pipe that the builder chose to route through one of these holes..:-) ) and are very good in that they are designed to fold up if you forget that they are down and drive away.

I'm going for the cheap plastic Fiamma ones from Ebay for £32 as they'll be very easy to use on my van without having to crawl or reach underneath, plus they have a good firm base and shouldn't sink in. I'll only need 2 of the 4 so if anyone wants the other 2 for £16 + postage then they'd be welcome to them.

By the way, all the movement that is felt inside our van comes from flex and squirm in the tyres - you can jump up and down and the suspension doesn't move at all.

If Michael only really wants support at the step, it may be worth visiting a caravan sales/spares outlet, as the one local to us sells(or sold?) individual steel screw-thread tripod jacks, for around *7-8 quid each.

(*or they were?)

Basically they were just galv' steel versions of the Fiamma jacks and we used a pair under the rear box section bumper of a previous Compass . (but if we hadn't have had a hefty bumper, there would've been nowhere else around the van we could've realistically/easily "propped" to).

..and if using a prop directly under the step, I'd definitely use a spreader pad of sorts...

Steve928 - 2016-10-04 8:32 AM

The Al-Ko stabilisers that Noody speaks of cost c. £300 so are not a cheap solution.

Crikey-phewee. That is a lot of money for what appears to be a simple engineering product, since I had this van I did notice I always pay a premium price for any spares of after-market add-ons.

Billggski - 2016-10-04 4:10 PM

One tip, if you do wind them down, put the handle across the pedals to remind you.

How do I know?

I had worried about that and my wide-ranging forgetfulness, I have already driven over levelling wedges twice, though I was out-and-about alone at the time.

Good tip, thank you.

£300 though ?

They are galvanised though they pick up a lot of dirt so doing a wash and brush with a bit of WD40 type stuff is all I could think of.

Back to the iinteresting situation of a bouncing van and that bounce being the result of the tyre softness, clearly, l inflate my tyres too much though to be honest we are neither heavy enough or active enough for me to make a valuable contribution to any discussion on this matter. (Smile)

I bought some of the fiamma plastic jacks earlier this year too, and I find they stop the van rocking in the wind (which is what I was after). Came as a set of four, have only ever used two though.

The only thing I can add here is that if on soft ground I find they need re-tightening once a day as the ground under them seems to settle a bit. Not a problem though, only takes 30 seconds to tighten them again :)

Archived