vfiat x250 service ijntervals

tonyg3nwl

Hi folks, i wonder if anyone knows what the recommended service intervals are for x250 2.3l vehicle.

i bought mine second hand, and cant now find any service records pre my ownership.

i have had timing belt done, and now at 30k miles so just trying to arrange local service.

i cant find the handbook to look up the info.

on line , i found a figure of 28k miles, but presumeably there may be an age related figure also. Vehicle was originally 09 plated, so miles per year are not high, but is age also important.?

Any comments?

Is there a recommended schedule of what to do ?

Thanks,

tonyg3nwl

Tony,

Fiat manuals are easy to locate and download from the official Fiat site here:

http://aftersales.fiat.com/elum/Home.aspx?brand_code=77&id_language=2

Give the page time to "populate" but then you should be able to get hold of the documentation by VIN number (best option if it works), or alternatively by selecting the correct model from the "turntable" effect, and then the appropriate year and month of manufacture.

Hi Tony

My X250 is a 3 litre so similar to yours except I have a chain timing belt.

My manual indicates the following:

Engine oil & filter, every 25k or once per year

Air filter, every 25k

Fuel filter, every 25k

Top-up fluids, every 25k (brake, power steering, coolant)

Pollen filter, every 25k or 2 years

Brake fluid, every 55k or 2 years.

Considering the dubious service record, a 25k service might be advisable. As a minimum, I would get the garage to change the engine oil + filter plus a brake fluid change. The rest is basic DIY, depending on how competent you are.

The pollen filter is easy to install yourself and costs less than £10. The fuel filter can suffer leaks when replaced, if the cartridge is not installed using the correct tools. The fuel filter can probably be replaced at a higher mileage. I seem to recall that Nick replaces filters on his fleet at about 50k. My van has reached 30k without a fuel filter change. However, I have bought a complete fuel filter with housing for £80 which I carry in the vehicle for emergencies. I'm advised that it's a DIY job to change the old filter body for the new one - bit like plug and play, although I'm still to find out :-D

Hi, thanks for the responses.

i have booked it in for next week at local garage who have given me a list of things they seem to think should at least be checked out in view of lack of proven history.

price quoted seems very competitive, and i have had them do work on the car previously, and been quite happy.

just hope they dont find any major problems..unlikely.as it all seems to work ok.

Tonyg3nwl

The problems with fuel filter housings seem to have been caused by people cracking the body in a vice instead of using the recommended tool to unscrew the cap *-)

These tools are common enough as they are used for the fuel filter housing on other vehicles - i got one online for about £16.

But if you are going to use a vice to unscrew it, put the cap in the vice not the body, as the cap is stronger.

Billggski - 2016-10-06 6:56 PM

The only way to avoid fuel filter leaks after a change seems to be a complete housing, about £75 on eBay. Fiat can charge £200+ for the same item!

I've changed my fuel filter cartridge twice and it doesn't leak. The first time was before I got the correct tool and did it by putting the cap, not the body, in the vice to unscrew it.

Incidentally my 2008 Citroen Relay 2.2 recommendation for oil changes is 25,000 miles or 2 years. But it does recommend their most expensive Total fully synthetic oil. Citroen always recommend Total for commercial reasons though. The foreman at the Citroen dealers where I bought it told me they use 10w/40 semi synthetic. I get 4.5 litres of it for £9.99 A3/B4 spec from Home Bargains.

John52 - 2016-10-07 6:26 AM

Billggski - 2016-10-06 6:56 PM

The only way to avoid fuel filter leaks after a change seems to be a complete housing, about £75 on eBay. Fiat can charge £200+ for the same item!

I've changed my fuel filter cartridge twice and it doesn't leak. The first time was before I got the correct tool and did it by putting the cap, not the body, in the vice to unscrew it.

Incidentally my 2008 Citroen Relay 2.2 recommendation for oil changes is 25,000 miles or 2 years. But it does recommend their most expensive Total fully synthetic oil. Citroen always recommend Total for commercial reasons though. The foreman at the Citroen dealers where I bought it told me they use 10w/40 semi synthetic. I get 4.5 litres of it for £9.99 A3/B4 spec from Home Bargains.

No doubt the Citroen dealer is cashing in by using semi synthetic oil and he might later pick up another job dealing with oil leaks.

Archived