Carwow

Basil

Has anyone on here used Carwow? I ask as I would like to know if my experience is normal or have I been unlucky! For those that don't know it's a website where you put in your requirements for a vehicle that you would like to purchase and you get up to five offers from participating dealers.

I am not one who usually uses this type of service but after just missing out on a vehicle locally, that had a very good offer that I was interested in, I tried it to see what other dealers might have similar offers. In due course I had five replies, the best offer being similar to the one I had locally and of the five was the closest dealer. Being one who believes that if something looks to good to be true, it probably is, I phoned the dealer to confirm the deal and to ask if the deal was on a stock vehicle or what, I was assured it was but it did not matter as the same deal was available on factory order.

I therefore travelled the 40 miles to the dealer for an appointed time, was kept waiting for 45 minutes after the appointment time only to be told there had been a mistake made and the price was not what I had been quoted! The salesman then attempted to sell another vehicle that was a different colour (one that I would not have chosen) and with a far worse deal than had been offered. I obviously declined and walked away having wasted three quarters of my day.

Just wondered if this was a normal thing to happen with Carwow and also to make others aware of what happened to try and alleviate them falling foul of the same, dare I say 'scam' as I can see no other way to describe it!

Bas

Hi Basil. Can't comment on Carwow, but thought I'd tell you about my very good car buying experience.

I wanted a Skoda Yeti. I went online to an internet broker, Carfile.net, they were recommended in an article I'd read in What Car. Put in the exact model, spec, colour etc, and got a price which was about 5k less than book price. Went to my local Skoda dealer, they could only get to within 2k of the price I had been quoted.

It did mean I had to travel to Mansfield to pick up the car when it was ready, but it was well worth it. If I ever but a brand new car again, (unlikely), I would use them again.

PS, a pal of mine did the same thing using a different broker, he was just as pleased.

Archived