Upgrade Sat Nav .. Fiat ..

QFour

New Laika MH came with Fiat Connect 5 Sat Nav based on Tom Tom software. Looked a nice unit but it does have a few not so nice features.

First .. Lack of map updates. Only available when Fiat decide it's time not when Tom Tom release a new version.

Second .. You have to add POI's manually. Ok if you only have a few addresses but didn't fancy inputting Caravan Club CL database or any others we have.

Decided to replace Sat Nav with Blaupunkt Android Sat Nav. It looked like it would be an easy swap but it was a bit of a nightmare. First thing is the Fiat Connect 5 is not a Double Din unit. The fitting kit that is available should be fastened to the radio and then fitted in place but kept moving around so had to be modified to fit. You need some surgery on the dash with a Dremmil to remove part of the plastic behind the old connect 5 unit. Once you have it all in place the fun starts.

First bit not working was the steering wheel controls. The Canbus unit with the kit could not translate the key presses from the steering wheel into something the Blaupunkt could understand. After trying many different dip switch settings it was removed and replaced with a German unit that worked first time. So now it was all working :D

Next the vehicle goes in to have the dashboard modification so you can see the speedo in daylight. That went fine until I went to collect it. It would appear that Fiat use the Fiat Connect 5 to change the time and date setting and it is no longer available on the Menu Button.

So it's in at Fiat Service now and they are trying again to get the Menu button on the dash to change the time. It's not a major issue and it can be fixed by putting the old unit back in but what a stupid way to change the time using the Sat Nav *-)

First .. Lack of map updates. Only available when Fiat decide it's time not when Tom Tom release a new version.

Second .. You have to add POI's manually. !!!!

We have a nissan car fitted with satnav, and were told that it included lifetime updates.

fine, until you try to do update, then the hit you with the bombshell.. the updates will cost you..at a price more than you can buy a decent standalone device..

and there doesnt seem to be provision for adding your own poi.

tonyg3nwl

Surely Lifetime Updates means FREE lifetime updates ? At least it does in Tom Tom speak, thats why you pay extra for it.

Would never buy a car with an inbuilt Sat Nav, simply for that reason, I like to be able to update the unit when I want to.

Rayjsj - 2016-10-16 3:22 PM

Surely Lifetime Updates means FREE lifetime updates ? At least it does in Tom Tom speak, thats why you pay extra for it.

Would never buy a car with an inbuilt Sat Nav, simply for that reason, I like to be able to update the unit when I want to.

It maybe in Tom Tom speak but Fiat have to pay Tom Tom for map updates. All Fiat are doing is using a VERY STRIPPED out version of Tom Tom Software. Tom Tom have nothing to do with the unit and will not discuss it. They just refer you to Fiat Service ...

Archived