motorhome dealers

pw9crab

hi having just purchased a second hand motorhome from premium motorhomes of Bawtry I can fully recommend this dealer ship WE DID NOT bye £100,000 motorhome but we were treated as if we had ROB the workshop manager is a real credit to the company he in shored every thing was in order and repaired at there cost gain this dealer ship needs to be recognised we recommend to all if your looking to bye give them a go

Fantastic news and whilst I'm not likely to be able use a dealer in Bawtry it is worth traveling the extra miles for a reputable dealer. I'm not going to name-names because my information is anecdote though to compare, a pal bought a two years old motorhome from a dealer in Wales and clearly they hadn't done any checks on the the vehicle at all.

Each visit to this dealership meant a round trip of 250 miles just to leave van then it had to be collected only to return a few weeks later when another problem emerged.

You wonder why I'm a cynic.

thanks for reply we also live in Pembrokeshire had to travel 320 miles to dealer and had to come away the first time faults on van but that's when rob steep in it took a further tripe up to collect van he made shore we were happy and ever little thing had been done wife got a huge bunch of flowers a great thought

I bought our van locally as a private deal and I expected to find a few problems though the few I found were more about me being picky and then replacing failed items and/or making improvements.

I have had to deal with two major water ingress problems that would have been the fault of the manufacturer rather than the vendor. The vendor probably wasn't aware because some problems take time to emerge. Fortunately I have the skills to deal with problems and we have a good garage who looks after the mechanics.

For spares I always use Southdown Motorhomes, they have always been reliable. The dealership the van came from were my first port of call when I needed help, I won't name them other than they are an Essex dealer who I would always advise anyone to steer clear of on the basis of the way they dealt with me. It may have just been the one person letting the ship down though who would risk a second encounter after being let down.

I purposely leave the dealership sticker on my van so the occasional admirer can be told to avoid them if I get the opportunity.

pw9crab - 2016-10-16 5:29 PM

thanks for reply we also live in Pembrokeshire had to travel 320 miles to dealer and had to come away the first time faults on van but that's when rob steep in it took a further tripe up to collect van he made shore we were happy and ever little thing had been done wife got a huge bunch of flowers a great thought

I also live in Pembrokeshire and have experiences of dealers far away, Simpsons Gt. Yarmouth, (an extreme, good deal, impulse buy) Brownhills of Swindon (excellent service but closed down 3 months after we bought there !) When the 580 mile round trip to Simpsons got to be a chore, I approached my local(ish) dealer Continental leisure vehicles of Crosshands, Llanelli. And asked if they would do the servicing and take on any warranty work that might need doing, A big ask, as i hadnt bought from them, but they agreed. I have since Only gone to them for servicing and yes, they did warranty work without a quibble. I have since traded traded that van in, and bought another nearly new van from them. I find them excellent and have no bad things to say about them.

My advice would be, if you find a good dealer, and they treat you well, stick with them. BUT, take note of the inconvenience if they are many miles away. Simpsons are a good dealership IF you live within reasonable travelling distance. CLV are my dealership of choice now.

• 3 weeks later...
pagey - 2016-11-07 7:33 PM

hi has anybody got any views on highbridge motorhomes before i go there its a way from me here in essex and i dont want a wasted journey thanks

No view as such but if going there, West Country Motorhomes are also in the area just a couple of miles away and Webs Motorhomes are in Warminster which could be visited on the way there or back.

Harvey

pagey - 2016-11-07 7:33 PM

hi has anybody got any views on highbridge motorhomes before i go there its a way from me here in essex and i dont want a wasted journey thanks

Again not dealt with them, but they do have a good range of vans on sale, and seem to be always busy. Personaly if buying a van new or Old. I would try to buy as close to home as possible, then any problems arise, not a long return journey to fix!

Not so easy down in the south, as not so many dealers as in the midlands.

Highbridge had a big fire on site about a month ago although the motorhomes were not affected. When I visited them in early summer [i was on holiday down there], I found it to be a massive site, sufficient parking during the week, a well-laid out and stocked accessory shop, and a range of motorhomes on display outside but all locked up - you had to go the sales office for the keys.

I was impressed to the extent that I thought I'd chance my arm and ask them to get hold of some Hymer parts for me. The two members of staff I dealt with couldn't have been more helpful and the parts arrived within the expected timescale. I was moved to email them with my thanks for such service. Struck me as being an organised business with an understanding of customer service.

Not sure I'd travel from Essex though unless there was a specific vehicle I wanted to buy from them. There are a couple of other motorhome dealers down there.

If anyone lives in or around the Ludlow area and is looking for a new or used motorhome I can thoroughly recommend Moran Motorhomes. This is a family run business which deals in motorhome sales and all repairs to a high standard in a spacious and well equipped workshop.

They treat all customers as individuals and with respect, with nothing being too much trouble. I've personally bought two new vans from them in the last few years, both have been presented as they should be and any problems which have cropped up later have been quickly put right.

Hi No Experience of Highbridge but we bought our latest van from Westcountry motorhomes, had the van new in May 2015, and we live in Birmingham, had a couple of very small jobs adjustments the first week we picked it up, no hassle as you should expect, we discovered that cooling fan on the cooker ? yes really wasn't working so the grill and oven kept cutting out, they told us to take it to a dealer near to us and they paid them the full cost over the phone for fixing it for us, having a problem with the sog system and he said, let us know when you are coming down and drop in and we will fix it.

We holiday that way quite often and may be going to Cornwall for a few days either before or after Christmas, so will let them know were on our way.

Pete

We bought our Hymer from Highbridge, despite the fact that our nearest dealer had a similar vehicle in stock, we had traveled down to Highbridge to view a new Rapido, they then arranged to put the two vehicles side by side for us to compare. We did a deal there and then on the Hymer. There were a couple of issues when we picked the vehicle up a couple of weeks later, the workshop had not completed all of the additions and alterations had requested and, despite the fact we were traveling down from Scotland had not informed the salesman that the vehicle would not be ready. A couple of hours delay and some swift talking had the situation resolved. When the V5 arrived, I discovered that Highbridge had registered it as a different colour, DVLA were very unhelpful, it was eventually sorted by Highbridge obtaining confirmation in writing from Hymer of the actual colour. Apart from those little niggles I would not hesitate to recommend Highbridge, the salesman was very helpful and easy to deal with, the workshop seem excellent though very busy, having said that, we have not taken the vehicle back since we picked it up as it would be the best part of 1000mile round trip!

My only criticism is that I have never received a follow up call, if it were my business and I were selling high value vehicles, I would ensure that all customers received a curtesy call at least once, say six months from purchase.

Bit late responding. Apologies if too late! We have bought two motorhomes from Highbridge. First a pre-owned Chauson and second a new Rapido. Very pleased with the service we have received both at time of purchase and in all our subsequent dealings. Highbridge is family owned and the service and parts department are both very efficient.

When we were looking to buy a new PVC two we quite like we're ruled out because for any warrenty work or servicing to maintain the warrenty we would have had to take them back to their factories which were a great distance away. Sod that I thought.

For the record we settled on an AutoSleeper Warwich XL purchased from Choose Leisure of Canterbury 40 miles away. Glad we did because although we are delighted with the van we had lots of trouble with devices fitted to it, two trips to fix the heating, a failed awning light , problems with the control box, the electric step etc all fixed expertly by the dealer. Some required a trip.down there and some were fixed at service. Only time we had to leave it with them they took us to the station and collected us when we picked it up.

Colin, this is an issue I have with some dealers.

Second hand or new, why don't they do what amounts to a text drive and function test ? At least one of the recommendations on this thread refers to a happy buyer but the same dealer sold a van where multiple problems existed and didn't bother them before they sold the van.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just bought a Auto sleeper Kemerton XL from Morans of Ludlowand found them to be very good.

The family run dealership is well run as I come from just west of Edinburgh it's a long way to go you may say but I thought it was worth it. I stayed one night in the yard just to make sure all was well pugged into there electric supply.

The handover was very compressive done by Roger the Dad he has good experience that he imparts to you in the simplest of terms so you understand it fully.

It's good to deal with people that understand Motorhomes not like up in Scotland were the marjoity are Caravan dealers.

So I would certainly recommend Moran for Motorhomes.

Campbell

I also recommend Moran Motorhomes at Ludlow (about 40 miles from where I live).

I bought my first motorhome (a secondhand Herald) from them in 1998 and sold it back to them in 2004. That vehicle and the Hobby I subsequently bought from Germany in 2005 were both expertly serviced annually by them.

I would have had no hesitation buying from Moran Motorhomes a replacement for the Hobby (that I sold in 2014) but I wanted a Rapido and they did not have an agency for that make. The Rapido was purchased from Highbridge Caravan Centre, the closest Rapido dealership to us (about 70 miles).

Realistically, even if a motorhome dealership carries out a test drive and a ‘function test’ on every vehicle before it is sold (and it’s likely that most do), there’s no guarantee that even major faults will always be detected. That statement may be unpalatable for motorhome first-time buyers, but it’s nevertheless true. That’s why the further away from you the dealership is that sells you the vehicle, the trickier it may be to get faults put right.

Archived