scottish exports

pagey

It is possible the OP has a genuine interest in whether Scotland does actually do anything positve in the world, or could also be trying to stir up banter or worse against it as the current political situation indicates a difference of opinon between Scotland and England.

Interms of revenues ad costs Scotland does not fare too well in part due to the decline of traditional industries. The crasjh in the oil price naturally blew a hle in the plans of th SNP but as Scotland never actually received any of the oil revenues, it is also a question as to where that should be placed in the equation. In terms of actually doing things well then Scotland has quite a few surprises.. Apart from the aforementioned oil industry which has created Scotland as a world leader in that technology, it also has smaller industries which stand high on the world stage, even if in terms of money they do not make huge impacts. Dundee for example is the world centre for the computer gaming industry which as any teenager will tell you is part of 'dreamland' for them. The computer programming skills are top notch and countries from all over, inclusing Japan are very interested. Finance despiet all the bad publicity is still a huge industry here and Edinburgh is probably the 2nd financial centre in the UK and rivals many EU cities. Tourism is also one of the niggest earners of money and supports huge number sof people, whether we all appreciate the visitors, or not. The aforementioned salmon industry is not as important as it looks as it is all owned by the Norwegians. Sounds familiar to others in the UK no doubt. The shale gas industry is a bit of a hot potato but there is no doubt it is a big player and employs directly 10000 people plus the knock ons. Whether it will be developed by the Scottish government is still to be seen as their own argument is that on a good number of days the whole of Scotland's energy requirement can be supplied by renewables. Not all of the days of course, but it is getting there, again whether you agree or not.

Unfortunately the main 'voice' that people in the UK hear at the moment is that of th SNP which has a rather left of centre agenda plus has independence as its mantra. However, there are only 100000 members of the SNP signed up, so they by no means speak for the whole country, but like any poltical party, think they do. The majority of Sots still feel the Union is important even if they still at heart feel they are Scots. This is why Sturgeon talks a lot but dooes not actually do anything with repsect to independence.

So, the bottom line to the OP is that yes, Scotland is not a basket case, although we do have a pretty biig overdraft, but then again so does the UK. Also the arguments are still the same as before both England and Scotland will suffer if they split, o it ibest to work together toi avoid that. Trying to create division is not the answer.

Guest pelmetman
Mikey - 2016-10-21 8:22 AM

I can only assume by the lack of any reply or information, it would appear England's exports to be little or less than Scotland.

I exported the odd pouffe.......but then I retired :D ........

Archiesgrandad - 2016-10-21 9:08 PM

We should never forget those other Scottish exports that have added so much to our culture, trades union officials, teachers, Blair, Brown, etc.

AGD

...... and of course, Scottish inventions, like Penicillin, Television, Telephone, Tarmac, Radar etc.

And they very kindly let the rest of us use them.

;-)

malc d - 2016-10-22 1:46 PM

We should never forget those other Scottish exports that have added so much to our culture, trades union officials, teachers, Blair, Brown, etc.

AGD

...... and of course, Scottish inventions, like Penicillin, Television, Telephone, Tarmac, Radar etc.

;-)

And many of these inventions have ended up costing us big bills.

ie: Telephone and Television. *-)

Thanks a bunch Scotland. :'(

747 - 2016-10-22 6:43 PM

AGD

;-)

Where I live it's not compulsory to own either of those.

;-)

malc d - 2016-10-22 7:29 PM

747 - 2016-10-22 6:43 PM

AGD

;-)

Where I live it's not compulsory to own either of those.

;-)

It is in our house. :'(

The Phone is essential to keep in touch with the Grandkids.

The TV is essential for SWMBO to immerse herself in the Soaps.

All I want is a peaceful life ...... so I pay the Bills. :-(

Violet1956 - 2016-10-22 2:07 PM

Very much enjoyed reading your post Dave225. Nice to have some facts and informed opinion rather than hyperbole on this subject for a change.

Thanks

Veronica

Many thanks for that, I usually get batted out of the park. I feel that sometimes it is difficult to know if posts are really genuine or maybe just someone trying to raise debate, to put it politely. It also appears in our current world that taking offence has become a major industry even when none is ontended. Makes things rather complicated.

Thnings beteen Scotland and England are not really very good at the moment politically, although most of us just get on with life and have lived happily together. The media also loves to embellish every little spat so makes things worse. Just wish they would grow up and start acting like adults, but possibly too much to hope for.

Archived