Cam belt

BBdevon

Hello, we have a Rapido which is 7 years old and has done 30,000 miles. It has a 2.3 - 130 multi jet engine. We have been advised that the Campbelt should be changed every 5 years ? We are getting quotes and 1 garage recommended that the water pump should be done at the same time as sometimes a new belt could cause the water pump to leak. The quote for both was £600 +. This seems a bit steep as noticed on here that others seem to be paying appx £300 for a new Campbelt. Any advice gratefully received

Thanks

Robbo - 2016-10-18 3:08 PM

Your user-name may indicate you live in Devon. If that is so, suggest you contact Essenjay Motorhomes, located in Poole, Dorset who should be able to advise. Or visit their website.

I had mine done by Essanjay last month, cost £350 no water pump needed, very good service and free courtesy car if you book it. They have a great waiting lounge also.

August 2015 before a trip to France, full cam belt kit, water pump, auxiliary drive belt, anti-freeze and labour - £289.27 inc VAT. Done at a very well established, very well known, very well respected and trusted garage but at North Yorkshire labour rates. Was there again today for an MOT. Wouldn't go anywhere else.

FD

I could be corrected on the following, but I think some early Fiats were built with the air conditioner pipes interfering with thecam replacement work. The pipes had to be removed, replaced and air con recharged.

May have been an earlier model.

Others on the forum can advise or confirm.

Rgds

Fred Duck - 2016-10-18 7:23 PM

August 2015 before a trip to France, full cam belt kit, water pump, auxiliary drive belt, anti-freeze and labour - £289.27 inc VAT. Done at a very well established, very well known, very well respected and trusted garage but at North Yorkshire labour rates. Was there again today for an MOT. Wouldn't go anywhere else.

FD

please tell i am in yorkshire and need info

jonathan

StuartO - 2016-10-21 4:49 PMI had mine done for the second time earlier this year, a 2006 2.8 JTD.

They changed the water pump and the total bill was £650 inc VAT.

My first cam belt change was rip-off at £300 because all they did was replace the cam belt and tension rollers. It was a rip-off because I thought they had done a full cam belt service which includes replacing also the water pump and often the alternator belt.Last year I was charged £450 for the full cambelt service including tensioner and water pump, paying £600 for the same service might mean something was seized and took three hours to deal with.That first £300 cam belt service ended up costing £600 because the bastards hadn't done something and the tensioner mechanism had melted.I think if we take a 2.8 it'd to a garage for a cambelt service who never did one before it may cost extra because we end up paying for head-scratching-time.As an example, the reversing switch on the 2.8 it'd is notorious for failing and even more notorious for being impossible to replace, the garage that did my £300 cam belt service were instructed to replace this reversing switch. When I collected the van they gave me the switch with a shrug of the shoulders. Eventually that switch was replaced by my current garage after they had done some research, it appears they could feel for it and release the old switch with a long-socket but it was a job for long fingers.Why don't garages invest in endoscopes ?

Archived