PPP - Peugeot peeling paint !

Barry38

I am becoming increasingly concerned that the peeling silver gloss paint on my Autocruise Rhythm (which I purchased new in 2010) may become a serious issue. The problem started with a thin strip lifting on the nearside windscreen pillar which has now increased to 10" x 3" ! I have also had the same problem around all of the rear door hinges, along the rear doors gutter rail, and in several places on the roof.

The primer/undercoat remains intact and there is no sign of any corrosion or metal damage.

Has any member had this problem and if so what have they done about it?

Is there any redress from Peugeot ?

I am wondering where this problem is going to end - a complete re-spray?

My local Peugeot main dealers' comments were "it's only a van - what do you expect " unquote !

Hi

I have a 2010 fiat ducato based van conversion, so the sevel van as yours is.

Mine has suffered similar flaking of paint but so far only on the roof, mainly along the seams. Fortunately mine is white so I have just painted the roof seams in white hammerite.

I know now this doesn't really help you, but at least you know you are not alone. I think it was a common issue with the previous generation of sevel van and as the X2 50s age I suspect the same issue is starting to show. As yours is metallic I think respraying the affected areas is the only real solution.

I think the body is galvanised so it shouldn't rust as a result of the flaking, but I'm pretty sure it is harder for paint to stick to galvanised metal and this is probably the root of the issue.

I read elsewhere that this is a result of these new more environmentally friendly paints that don't adhere to the base coat as well as older paints. If van is silver and for area's out of sight (I had it on the roof in the troughs around the roofrack/awning studs), then smooth silver hamerite is a good colour match and adheres well!

Nigel

Barry38 - 2016-10-20 7:43 PM

I am becoming increasingly concerned that the peeling silver gloss paint on my Autocruise Rhythm (which I purchased new in 2010)"....."......... "it's only a van - what do you expect " unquote !

We have an 08 registered, white pvc, and it's showing a few similar signs of age.

Fundamentally it is a commercial vehicle, not a high end saloon.

I don't like the idea of a patchwork paint-job but where do you stop? A full respray is out of the question. I'm slightly reassured by the fact that the problem seems to be restricted to the final gloss coat.

The next year could be decision time, so finding a suitable professional to do the job is the next problem!

Regards

Alan b

We have a 2011Peugeot silver cab, have the same problem with the paint peeling on the bonnet and both wings which is gradually getting worse, dread to think what it's going to cost.

Have considered trying to patch it up ourselves. Any advice would be welcome.

Chris.

Our 2005 Ducato had the white paint peeling off the front of the bonnet down to the undercoat about 4 years ago and the patches just kept growing every time we washed it. In the end we had it re-sprayed through my local garage in S Oxfordshire - about £200 as I recall and a really good job and it's been fine ever since. 

laimeduck - 2016-10-23 5:08 PM

In the end we had it re-sprayed through my local garage in S Oxfordshire - about £200 as I recall and a really good job and it's been fine ever since

Sounds like a bargain!; my local sprayshop wanted £200 just to do the bonnet in a contrasting colour !(everything's a contrast to white)

I've been thinking of a custom paint/graphics job since we bought the van, but maybe this is an opportunity......looking at the positive side.

Had wondered about having some large decals printed, or a partial "wrap"

any experiences welcome

regards

alan b

I've the same problem with my Fiat Van have given the roof the hammerite and patched the front of roof and wing and bonnet. I'd wondered about respray but am concerned the paint would still lift as any new paint is just applied to the original coating

Archived