Oyster Satellte Dish -v- Telesat Satellite Dish/Dome.

Frank McAuley

I refer to above.May I please request your views and opinions re the criteria to consider when choosing to fit to a motorhome:-
a dome;
an Oyster dish or a Telesat dish?
Any views or experiences re the fitting, use and costings coupled with ease of use and reliability would be greatly appreciated . It would also be considerably useful to receive any views or recommendations re any alternative products please!

Frank McAuley - 2016-10-24 8:48 PMI refer to above.May I please request your views and opinions re the criteria to consider when choosing to fit to a motorhome:-
a dome;
an Oyster dish or a Telesat dish?
Any views or experiences re the fitting, use and costings coupled with ease of use and reliability would be greatly appreciated . It would also be considerably useful to receive any views or recommendations re any alternative products please!
Hi Frank
It really is down to the individual and what they prefer.
We have had the Oyster system on our current Van and also on the previous 2 vans.
Down side is that if it gets too windy, then you will have to close the dish down. Whereas the dome system won't have this issue.
I do believe that costs for either system is very similar, but I've not checked for a while.
The only slight adjustment that we have had to make over the last few years, is to change the settings as and when Sky change their footprint that can be received when abroad. This has been with the help of Robert Jackson's website, and he only lives a few miles away from me.
In our case we have the larger 85cm Oyster dish, and have had no problems with any channel as far down as Garmish in the German mountains.
Some members on here have also got a portable system - that they set up manually themselves when on site, and they seem happy with this system.
It really is down to what you prefer.
I prefer the Oyster dish, but that is not say that another person will be along to say that they prefer the Dome system. 
I can't vouch for the dome system as I've never had on any of my previous vans. I stayed with the Oyster system on our current van as it was the one I knew, and for no other reason.
Also the Oyster dish folds flat, and does not have the "Blimp" / "Blister" look of the dome, but again this is only my personal view and preference.
Sorry that I could be of no further help.

Hi Frank

We have a 40cm Dome, and can get Uk TV as far as northern Spain, and some channels further south

Depends where you use your van. We on;y use over the water!. Yes you do have additional height, puts us over 3 mtr. If you only use in UK I would go for a dome, as then no problems with wind. You need a very large dish if you want to use in Southern Spain! Some people hire a dish locally , when staying for the winter in Spain, plenty of places will erect it and service it , and I believe it works out cheap.

PJay

For the record, what model dome are using for BBC, ITV (ASTRA2) etc in Northern Spain? That's pretty good performance for a 40CM dome that far south - My wee 26cm high dome gave up further south than about Paris. I don't go abroad much though so the compromise it worth it for the low profile.

Nigel

Thanks Mike for your contribution. I'm not sure which is correct as I thought the dealer stated 'Telesat'  so your probably correct and Teleco is the one; is there a Telesat system?
Is the Teleco system on a par with the Oyster regarding use,performance and cost- perhaps you might be aware?

Here are the prices for Teleco systems. Excellent performance from mine but in order to get easy maximum range autoskew systems are best although if you want to use the system abroad you can adjust the lnb manually but access to the dish might not be that easy.

http://www.outdoorbits.com/teleco-satellite-systems-c-11_495_514.html

Not heard of Telesat.

veletron - 2016-10-25 1:23 PM

For the record, what model dome are using for BBC, ITV (ASTRA2) etc in Northern Spain? That's pretty good performance for a 40CM dome that far south - My wee 26cm high dome gave up further south than about Paris. I don't go abroad much though so the compromise it worth it for the low profile.

Nigel

Ours is a Camos Dome . Recently got back from France , used it as far south as La Rochelle, and have last year used it in Bordeaux. Just like the house Tv all the programmes, (not sure if we got ch 5 )

Self seeking very easy t use. Started off with a maxview , but it took so long to find the satellite, and was useless in the wind .

PJay

Archived