I'm persnickety about anything that rattles.

Noody

When we first stared motorhoming we used to,try to,illuminate rattles, cuttelry was wrapped up, glasses had rubber bands round them etc. Soon got feed up with that and decided not to bother fighting a loosing battle having failed to find some rattles. We now have a AutoSleeper Warwick XL van conversion. We do have none slip matting between the plates, the lid over the cooker has a towel trapped below it, the oven trays and shelves have some foam stuffed in them to illuminate any obvious rattles and bottles in a holder in the bathroom behind my head are now in a padded bag to stop them banging. We still get a few rattles on bad roads but none on motorways. Being an AutoSleeper it's well screwed together. Only mod I've made is to the runners of a large draw under the cooker in which we carry heavy bottles of wine etc. I glued in the existing screws with epoxy and added a few extra ones to holes in the runners that had not been used.

Don't let em drive you mad, do what you can and ignor the rest, you'll soon get used to them.

flicka - 2016-10-25 8:06 PM

So as Noody's Burstner Elegance still has rattles after 10 years, still not resolved & having had to refit the shower twice, will this silence some of the German build quality brigade :-> :->

I already got my coat, lol

I believe that the Burstner was built in Alsace. which was still France last time I looked though, the Germans have a history of moving borders. (lol)

hagrid - 2016-10-26 7:40 PM

flicka - 2016-10-25 8:06 PM

So as Noody's Burstner Elegance still has rattles after 10 years, still not resolved & having had to refit the shower twice, will this silence some of the German build quality brigade :-> :->

I already got my coat, lol

I believe that the Burstner was built in Alsace. which was still France last time I looked though, the Germans have a history of moving borders. (lol)

Despite wherever they are built. they're still built to the German parent company design, specification, techniques & procedures & isn't that ultimate parent Hymer. I rest my case.

However my point was that it is NOT just British built motorhomes, which are so frequently subject of derision on the forum, that can rattle or suffer poor built quality, etc..

As for my own Adria Sport (built in Slovenia & their budget range) rattles have generally been caused by the various items I have put on board & easily remedied.

The only recurrent "van" noise I haven't solved is the vibration of the lower rail for the Remis windscreen blinds, which can be induced at various speeds on poor road surfaces.

flicka - 2016-10-26 8:45 PM

However my point was that it is NOT just British built motorhomes, which are so frequently subject of derision on the forum, that can rattle or suffer poor built quality, etc..

..Some UK constructed vans are just as likely to squelch and splosh, as they are to rattle! (lol) (lol)

I feel a lot less of an obsessive now I shared this, sort-of like counselling.

I don't agree with the sentiment that it's improbable to build a motorhome to better construction methods for the price, all of the failings I've addressed are down to poor method and maybe poor supervision if you consider one side of my van has stainless steel screws fitted where they are important and the other side ordinary steel screws in the same situation. This suggests the production line ran out of stock.

Regarding the sentiment that some of us enjoy the challenge, that may be the case though I'm guessing many owners won't have the skills of a cabinet maker that have enabled me to deal with close to £3000 (In labour terms) of repairs that were down to steel screws and poor to none-existing sealant in important places. These sort of problems take years to emerge so I'm guessing the design team or production managers felt it ok to neglect.

My van was around £50.000 in 2004 (ball park figure) Similar van now is £80.000. That is an investment to most people rather than a consumable, on the basis of my first motorhome experience I will never buy another unless I move to live within a few miles of the dealer.

Where I live now is the sort of place many of you travel too for holidays, this far west I'm lucky to have a reliable garage with the right attitude and a lift big enough.

Oh, almost forgot. For those of you who are happy to let things rattle. I ruined a fabulous set of very expensive lightweight drinking glasses by allowing them to rattle and rub against each other, I'm an entrenched boozer so I love my post drinking vessels.

BnJ - 2016-10-26 6:59 PM

We certainly wouldn’t accept such poor quality finishing, materials or sound proofing on a new car so why do we with a camper or motorhome?

To be fair there is less to rattle and squeak on a car, and they are made in far greater quantities to spread their development costs over.

Noody - 2016-10-27 7:48 AM

Where I live now is the sort of place many of you travel too for holidays, this far west I'm lucky to have a reliable garage with the right attitude and a lift big enough.

Noody,

As you live in such a wonderful area, one wonders why you choose to indulge in a pastime that takes you away from it. I suggest most owners would be very pleased to invite a few rattles if they could live likewise.

Will

PS Noody, you do appear (to me) that you have it all and yet are still unhappy with your lot.

Will86 - 2016-10-27 9:34 AM

Noody - 2016-10-27 7:48 AM

Noody,

As you live in such a wonderful area, one wonders why you choose to indulge in a pastime that takes you away from it. I suggest most owners would be very pleased to invite a few rattles if they could live likewise.

Will

PS Noody, you do appear (to me) that you have it all and yet are still unhappy with your lot.

Will86, I too live in a lovely area, with a view of the sea from home, but that doesnt mean that I do not want to travel to see other places, or visit relatives or friends, it just makes it easier to come home.

I try to eliminate as many sources of travel noise as possible, but some is enevitable, for me it is the unexpected, unknown or sudden noise that disturbs me, for that I have been known to stop until the source is known, is that Pernickerty ? I think it is just being careful.

I concur with the Screws/drawer fittings/poor trim glueing comments all small jobs i have fixed myself one of the problems of living in a beautiful but fairly remote place.......the dealers are a long way away....even the close ones are 70 miles/ 140 miles round trip.

Will86 - 2016-10-27 12:25 PM

Very true but the picture I see of our Mr Noody is that he's not a happy bunny.

I'm living the life-of-Riley and very-very happy. Thank you for your concern. Oh, slight adjustment, I have to cut grass. It's such a chore.but I'll be happy when it's done.

Back on the subject of rattles, maybe it's time we shared a few problem ones that we haven't solved, I'll start the ball rolling. My habitation door, seems the rubbers are worn and I can solve the problem by sticking another rubber strip on the door frame. Has anyone replaced these rubbers ?

It's ok Will I'm smiling, I'm a happy man. Settle down.

Lets start with the Swift Bolero we had. Boy did that rattle and squeak. We were new to MH's so just thought that was the norm. I traced a lot of the rattles and squeaks and used the wooly side of velcro to stop bits rubbing. Then we discovered that you could let the tires down at the front. This was from the guy who did the habitation check. Reduced to 75 psi from 85 psi when it was delivered.

Move on to a Pilote and that was much better but still had panels under the seats that squeaked which needed fixing and an electric bed that used to bang about on bends. We cured the bed with pillows and I again fixed a lot of the rattles and squeaks. After a disaster with the electric bed at the start of a holiday we changed it for a Laika.

The difference is amazing. Panels are fixed in place properly. Units are doweled and screwed and everything fits that much better. Few rattles but we let the tires down to 65 psi at the front after consultation with the tyre manufacturers and 80 psi at the back. What a difference. Far nicer ride and the only rattles we now get are from the tins in the oven when we forget to put some padding in. Cups, plates and pans go in drawers and nothing heavy like tins in the top lockers.

(lol)

Andy&Lou - 2016-10-27 12:39 PM

I am not sure I agree with your no rattles on planes comment.

When on the ground taking off or landing most planes I have been on rattle like mad.

I do agree that MHs should not rattle but I am getting used to just turning up the stereo.

I remember being on a plane to Frankfurt, had a seat over the wing, when the plane got airborne and the weight came off of the wing, a large allen bolt showed about an inch and half above tight, it had been flush when on the ground. I pointed it out to the male passenger alongside me, and asked if he had an allen key ? For me to climb out and tighten it up, He was a bit unnerved after that. Nothing is perfect !

Andy&Lou - 2016-10-27 12:39 PM

I am not sure I agree with your no rattles on planes comment.

When on the ground taking off or landing most planes I have been on rattle like mad.

I do agree that MHs should not rattle but I am getting used to just turning up the stereo.

I was on a small twin engined plane going on business to one of the Channel Islands when I noticed some fluid coming out of one of the engines. I reported this to the pilot who told me he'd have to get maintainance to look at it when we got there. As I got off he told me with a grin it was water from the air conditioning I'd seen!

Will86 - 2016-10-27 3:20 PM

Navigational skills improve with age, and the complainant eventually realises they haven't suffered injury.

Oh Will I wish that were true. Although my OH has become a little more tolerant of my shortcomings on this navigational front, largely because I point out that his dyslexia will never improve either. The upside is that I have been inspired by this thread to go around the van trying to make other things rattle a bit more. (lol)

Veronica

QFour - 2016-10-27 4:20 PM

. After a disaster with the electric bed at the start of a holiday we changed it for a Laika.

The difference is amazing. Panels are fixed in place properly. Units are doweled and screwed and everything fits that much better. Few rattles but we let the tires down to 65 psi at the front after consultation with the tyre manufacturers and 80 psi at the back. What a difference. Far nicer ride and the only rattles we now get are from the tins in the oven when we forget to put some padding in. Cups, plates and pans go in drawers and nothing heavy like tins in the top lockers.

(lol)

This is what I was hoping to read about and though there has been support for my obsession with silence I feel that many poor souls just accept poor workmanship. The number of noisy motorhomes that come with other failings is an indictment to those who sell them with little regard for their client.

After several days of forum contributions that have been interesting only one owner has come forward after finding a less noisy vehicle.

The noise from personal belongings is enough of a challenge with having to lay on the floor for miles whilst someone else drives just to isolate that rattle.

Has anyone had their head restraints fall off ?

I had an emergency call from a pal who had recently bought a two years old van still under warranty but was getting tired of the 150 mile round trip so asked for my help. The head restraint was held on by this very-very nasty and cheap two part steel bracket with the screwsnot really reaching anything substantially solid to hold a head restraint. Scandalous, it was a head restraint.

I'm ok Will, still happy. The grass didn't get cut and whilst I'm miffed I'm still coping.

hagrid - 2016-10-26 7:40 PM........................I believe that the Burstner was built in Alsace. which was still France last time I looked though, the Germans have a history of moving borders. (lol)

The company is German (parent is Hymer) and the factory is on the banks of the Rhine at Kehl, which is in Germany but is, for all intents and purposes, a German suburb on Strasbourg. Burstner France is in Alsace, at Wissembourg, 4 Rue des Quatre Vents but, AFAIK, it is not a production facility.

Hi

I have to speak in support of Noody. I too hate rattles and think they are suggestive of an indifferent attitude to quality. I have a 6 year old Globecar PVC which on delivery had the odd rattle, and for the first 6 months I was a man possessed until I cured the majority. The few intermittent ones remaining are minor and attributable to Fiat trim rather than Globecar. For some reason my front passenger door quarter-light surround trim will not fit correctly and occasionally chatters, but not often. Any other rattles are due to poor packing of our stuff and it is not uncommon for me to stop shortly after setting off to sort them.

A new rattle could be an early indication of a fault so I like to be able to notice it. If it was drowned out in the general cacophony I would not be able to do that. So I like it not to rattle.

So well done, Noody. I agree with you.

trevor166uk - 2016-11-01 10:02 AM

So well done, Noody. I agree with you.

Thank you, thats very kind.

Im also obsessive about packing things away so they don't rattle because I want to be able to hear any rattles.

My habitation door has always been a problem, it once flew open as I was traveling because it wasn't properly latched-in. I let it rattle accusing myself of being obsessive and the the door flew open, last week I spend a whole day on the latch keep (Its the place on the door frame) that doesn't really have any adjustment. I made some adjustment and its now silent again.

Then I still have an engine compartment rattle that I have yet to identify, those slide things the bed curtains hang on rattle but I can't do anything and they won't cause any problems.

Mostly I'm now on top of it but I'm replacing steel screws with stainless screws internally, most of you may not realise how damp your van gets during winter, Rusty internal screws tells the tale and I always have a dehumidifier in the van during winter and some heating when it gets really cold.

Yes, rusty screws inside and at all levels and places. Most of that would have occurred in the four years before I bought it.

If you don't have carpets in your van be careful not to tread stones into that plastic covering on the floor, its very thin and you can easily introduce damp that quickly disappears and gets into the floor structure by that blotting paper effect.

Im more than a little dismayed at the attitude of owners who think I'm a crank and its all because they are only keeping their van for a few years so let the next owner have the problems. This works, even with vans you buy from a dealer because they don't go looking even though some say they do a ?0 point check.

Good morning folks,

You are definatly not a crank Noody are are perfectly entitled to get as much comfort as you require Like me , Mrs Goldi does not like rattles either.I suspect it is very difficult to buy a new motorhome that does not have rattles and these can develop more with use due to movement and climatic change thoughout the year I like to spend time rectifying these things between trips.

norm

Yes, I'm with Mr Noody - interesting name, by the way - regarding the frustration of rattles and creaks in the van. And I go to some lengths to try to identify and then eliminate them. Still working on the Rapido van conversion we bought in the summer.

By the way, I assume you are perhaps another member of the naturist community with a 'handle' like that?

mikebeaches - 2016-11-02 12:03 PM

By the way, I assume you are perhaps another member of the naturist community with a 'handle' like that?

Close, but more embarresing. It started as a lark when I was a young man, three of us mooning to traffic so our bums got caught in the headlights. One of us ended up doing a full streak. One of us got reprimanded by a Constance on a bike.

It was a long time ago, then I named my grandsons snugly bear Noody because his bum was always showing out of his pants.

The nick-name stuck but only with a few close friends. Noody has his own Facebook page though not enough people have my sense of humour so it turned out to be a damp squib.

Noody lives in my bed and I'm 74. ((Smile)

Noody - 2016-11-02 12:40 PM

mikebeaches - 2016-11-02 12:03 PM

Close, but more embarresing. It started as a lark when I was a young man, three of us mooning to traffic so our bums got caught in the headlights. One of us ended up doing a full streak. One of us got reprimanded by a Constance on a bike.

It was a long time ago, then I named my grandsons snugly bear Noody because his bum was always showing out of his pants.

The nick-name stuck but only with a few close friends. Noody has his own Facebook page though not enough people have my sense of humour so it turned out to be a damp squib.

Noody lives in my bed and I'm 74. ((Smile)

Ha Ha - that's funny!

But it's never too late to join the real nudies; and having a van is the ideal way to visit a few au naturel resorts, especially on the continent.

Archived