Advice on first tour in Spain

Chuns

I must be one of the few Brits who, apart from a fortnight with my parents in the early sixties, and a couple of visits to the major cities on business, have not spent any time in Spain. I know I'm odd, but I can't imagine why anybody would want to go to a beach, especially a crowded one. Co-incidentally my wife has the same outlook.

I'm at the early stages of planning a bit of winter warmth, and would appreciate the thoughts of those more experienced and familiar with touring in Spain than me.

To help, here is a bit of info that should shape any advice

-Our preferred touring is to use aires - we rarely stay in a site, but are happy to do so if it is the best way. It is not the money, it is more to do with the "holiday" focus of campsites.

-I thought about three or four days to get to the border from Cherbourg, a week pootling about, and a similar journey back.

-My wife hates (Force 9 on the whinge-ometer) mountain roads.

-We are thinking of January or February.

-We have bicycles with us, but only use them if it is relatively flat.

-We occasionally stay outside major cities, taking public transport into the centre.

So are there any must-dos, or areas that could be reached in that relatively short time? We are quite interested in food (and, err, wine), but after years in France on our boat and now MoHo have visited enough vineyards. Should we plan to be there longer to get a better experience?

What do people think, please? Thank you in advance to anybody who gives me their time and thoughts

Guest pelmetman

That's not even 3 weeks? 8-) ..........I hope you like driving :-S ........

Our first trip was a month, and we got right down to Europa Point in Gib, and we were constantly on the move, in hindsight it was a useful taster, but not exactly restful ;-) ..........

We now go for 3 months minimum B-) ........

Nowhere near as many aires in Spain , as in France! As Dave has stated a lot of Driving for less than three weeks. If you want the winter sun , you need to get south of Valencia. We have reached Calpe in four days hard driving , but not in winter, where there could be snow crossing the Pyrenees. The best route to the south is The Somport Tunnel, but that could be closed , depending on weather. Camp sites in the sunny spots get full in winter, with long term stayers ! The Cherbourg crossing in winter I believe is only from Poole or Ireland. If you really just want Sun then maybe go direct to Spain from Portsmouth, as you will get there in 24 hours.

if you do decide to use aires, I suggest you get the Aires Spain and Portugal from Vicarious books

PJay

PS we prefer Spain to France and it's a lot cheaper to buy food in Spain

Have to agree with the others - it's a long, long way. We go for between 12 - 16 weeks in winter. If you want to use mainly Aires (and bear in mind many campsites are full over winter) then get the All the Aires Spain and Portugal book and maybe even the Camperstop book also from Vicarious books. Have never used that before but have one now and there are some places in that are not in the Aires book.

We always use the west coast route crossing into Spain at San Sebastien then either go straight down past Madrid and Seville to the south coast before turning left and touring along the south coast or have sometimes taken the scenic and very good route across the plains to come out near Murcia if you want more chance of drier sunnier days.

At least you will not have to worry about crowded beaches - miles and miles of sandy beaches with few people on them.

David

Thank you, good, sound advice.

I have to admit, I had thought I'd just have a look around Northern Spain first, I guessed it would probably be a bit warmer than further north - I'm not looking to sit out in the sun, just temperatures Around twenty would suit us.

If that is not the case I will certainly have to extend the trip, and go further south. I normally work on 200 to 250 km a day if we want to get somewhere.

Thanks also for the warnings about aires, and campsites being full - something that didn't occur to me.

Regards to all

Chuns - 2016-10-28 4:29 PM

I have to admit, I had thought I'd just have a look around Northern Spain first, I guessed it would probably be a bit warmer than further north - I'm not looking to sit out in the sun, just temperatures Around twenty would suit us.

If that is not the case I will certainly have to extend the trip, and go further south. I normally work on 200 to 250 km a day if we want to get somewhere.

Thanks also for the warnings about aires, and campsites being full - something that didn't occur to me.

Regards to all

Peter, Northern Spain will not be around 20 deg in Jan/Feb. Temps not unlike southern England, and quiet a lot of rain!

PJay

PJay - 2016-10-28 4:35 PM

Regards to all

Peter, Northern Spain will not be around 20 deg in Jan/Feb. Temps not unlike southern England, and quiet a lot of rain!

PJay

Indeed, 20 degrees in Jan/Feb very unlikely in northern Spain.

As already suggested, generally need to be well south of Valencia on or near the Med. And even then, the temperature you mentioned will require a certain amount of good luck during mid-winter. Nights can be very chilly too.

Have a good trip whatever you decide to do.

Regards to all

Honestly? I think you need to do some research. "Spain" is not reliably hot and sunny in mid-winter, even along the Andalusian coast. Spain has its regions, and the regions have their own climates. Do not, under any circumstances, assume that all you'll need is tee shirt, shorts, and sun glasses! :-) It can be very cold on the central plateau in winter, and it can be very wet in places as well.

Northern Spain is also known as green Spain. Green = vegetation = rain. It borders the Atlantic, and gets Atlantic weather.

Bear in mind that much of southern Spain is mountainous, and the southern mountains, the Sierra Nevada, which lie between Grenada and the Mediterranean and peak at 11,500 feet, get substantial snow in winter. The skiing season there can last from November to May.

As has been said above, it is the southern coastal strip that is generally fairly warm, but you will be going in mid-winter, and it would be unwise to expect a warm, dry, week if that would be the limit of your stay. It is also where you will find reasonably flat cycling.

To tour, and avoid mountain roads, you will need to research routes with care. I think you will also find that many campsites inland are closed in winter, although non-site stopover locations should be more numerous.

I would also agree with others that for a reasonably restful trip the distances are too great for your proposed timescale. Calais to Malaga is about 1,300 miles, so rather more travel days than you are presently considering.

Chuns - 2016-10-28 11:42 PM

Thank you all. I've been researching average temperatures, and think I've been a bit, err, naive. Backed up by the above posts.

A Plan B is called for.

I'm indebted.

Regards

Peter

People tend to assume that further south will be warmer than England. But England is surrounded by water warmed by the gulf stream which makes our temperatures relatively mild and constant - for all our complaining about the weather.

In 20 years of driving lorries the only place I saw them stranded from 'frozen' (waxed up) diesel was not in Britain but in Italy!

Chuns - 2016-10-28 11:42 PM

Thank you all. I've been researching average temperatures, and think I've been a bit, err, naive. Backed up by the above posts.

A Plan B is called for.

I'm indebted.

Regards

Peter

re your original post. A bit of winter warmth. May I suggest, perhaps a plane ride to somewhere like the Canary Islands ! as plan B

You will likely get very high temps. in somewhere like southern Tenerife, been there many times at Xmas /New year, and it was shorts and tee shirt weather!

PJay

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2016-10-28 11:45 PM

Warmest is the Costa Del Sol, but even that can feel like winter in January when the wind is coming down from the north over the snow capped mountains. But when the wind is coming up from the South, over the Sahara, it feels like Summer B-)

But the driest is Costa Blanca, and as the difference is about 2 or 3 degrees on average.......I'll stick with Calpe B-) ........apparently they're building another couple of campsites in the town ;-) ........

pelmetman - 2016-10-29 9:01 AM

John52 - 2016-10-28 11:45 PM

Warmest is the Costa Del Sol, but even that can feel like winter in January when the wind is coming down from the north over the snow capped mountains. But when the wind is coming up from the South, over the Sahara, it feels like Summer B-)

But the driest is Costa Blanca, and as the difference is about 2 or 3 degrees on average.......I'll stick with Calpe B-) ........apparently they're building another couple of campsites in the town ;-) ........

Good, do let us know where Dave. Will not be as convenient as Calpe Mar. Missed going this year, but hope to make it back in 2017!

needn't take long. overnight ferry to le havre, then a toll free route to niort (arrived around 1500/1600hrs) free aire with electric (was supposed to be 10euro but no one came to collect), 2nd night wild camped at a truckstop near zagora (there is a good 'municipal' campsite there though) then in benidorm by early noon next day.

KeithR - 2016-10-30 10:23 AM

needn't take long. overnight ferry to le havre, then a toll free route to niort (arrived around 1500/1600hrs) free aire with electric (was supposed to be 10euro but no one came to collect), 2nd night wild camped at a truckstop near zagora (there is a good 'municipal' campsite there though) then in benidorm by early noon next day.

Keith

I would not say a "Good" campsite at Zaeagoza , at 27 euros, with not particularly nice toilets, but very convenient coming from the Somport Tunnel, and then a straight run down to Calpe (if you can get in) but also a camper stop there and another site,( in Calpe) which I have not yet seen. we missed going this year, but hope to return in2017

PJay

true, its expensive, perhaps I said good cos there were lots of food/drink places just outside and to be honest, we had spent the previous 2 hours running around the country side looking for a campsite (or stopover!) that was open! a helpful gypsy mentioned this site (but he didnt know where it was), and then when we got lost again (at a campsite that turned out to be a sports training camp!) a helpful Spaniard led us there in his car. at this point anywhere was heaven, so I apologise (lol) *-) :$ :$

PJay - 2016-10-30 10:38 AM

KeithR - 2016-10-30 10:23 AM

Keith

I would not say a "Good" campsite at Zaeagoza , at 27 euros, with not particularly nice toilets, but very convenient coming from the Somport Tunnel, and then a straight run down to Calpe (if you can get in) but also a camper stop there and another site,( in Calpe) which I have not yet seen. we missed going this year, but hope to return in2017

PJay

Except, Peter (chuns) had already said he preferred to do 200-250km per day, and Mrs chuns had a strong aversion to mountain roads. That seems to rule out doing 1300 miles in three days via the Somport tunnel.

true, its expensive, perhaps I said good cos there were lots of food/drink places just outside and to be honest, we had spent the previous 2 hours running around the country side looking for a campsite (or stopover!) that was open! a helpful gypsy mentioned this site (but he didnt know where it was), and then when we got lost again (at a campsite that turned out to be a sports training camp!) a helpful Spaniard led us there in his car. at this point anywhere was heaven, so I apologise (lol) *-) :$ :$

I take your point brian, but that route crosses the border after Biarritz and down by pamplona, my travel director would not allow me to go anywhere near a tunnel or mountain pass (especially after the 'chicken tikka' pass (but that's another story!!)). and according to RAC its 960 miles, not 1300. I accept its still more than he would like to do, but with the time scale hes given, I think perhaps 200km a day needs a bit of a rethink. with autoroute max at 130kph, that's about 1.5 hours, or 2 hours if you take your time.( I did it avoiding toll roads)

I would suggest that its either drive more each day to reach your destination, or drive the distance you like

but set a nearer destination. :-S

I take your point brian, but that route crosses the border after Biarritz and down by pamplona, my travel director would not allow me to go anywhere near a tunnel or mountain pass (especially after the 'chicken tikka' pass (but that's another story!!)). and according to RAC its 960 miles, not 1300. I accept its still more than he would like to do, but with the time scale hes given, I think perhaps 200km a day needs a bit of a rethink. with autoroute max at 130kph, that's about 1.5 hours, or 2 hours if you take your time.( I did it avoiding toll roads)

I would suggest that its either drive more each day to reach your destination, or drive the distance you like

KeithR - 2016-10-30 2:14 PM

You're right Keith, as I had set the departure point at Calais, whereas Peter had said Cherbourg. Personally, I wouldn't go for the longer channel crossings in mid winter, they can be delayed by bad weather. I'd also assumed his destination would be Malaga, which I believe is generally warmer than Benidorm. I get 1025 miles Cherbourg - Benidorm, so close enough. It was PJay who introduced Somport, which implied the mountain roads. I'd also be a mite wary of assuming the cruising speeds you're suggesting on a mid-winter trip. Fog, ice, snow, rain etc are all likely delay factors, and he's was only thinking of less than two weeks out and back! No buffer time allowed.

I have to admit, Brian, that I had good weather on that particular route last year, and I do try to keep my speed up (when my director of transport isn't looking). my normal driving choice is to leave around 10, stop after 2 hours driving for an hours lunch and fresh air in a handy village/town, then 2 more hours drivng and look for an aire around 3ish. Bad weather would definately slow one down, but personally in that situation I usually find no good reason for long stops. the clock goes out the window and I drive, eat, rest as I require. end up driving more hours but get to better weather quickly.l I aimed for Benidorm as it is the nearest point on the Costas where Chuns could expect winter warmth. the costa Brava sites are mostly closed, and as you say, it would take a little longer to get down via Malaga and to (potentially) warmer weather. of course you do hit the coast before Benidorm, but I don't know that area very well.

Chuns, if you go Malaga way, I think the most popular stop is the campsite at Aranjuez near Madrid.

lovely town (lots off bodegas) and public transport into Madrid. :-S

I have to admit, Brian, that I had good weather on that particular route last year, and I do try to keep my speed up (when my director of transport isn't looking). my normal driving choice is to leave around 10, stop after 2 hours driving for an hours lunch and fresh air in a handy village/town, then 2 more hours drivng and look for an aire around 3ish. Bad weather would definately slow one down, but personally in that situation I usually find no good reason for long stops. the clock goes out the window and I drive, eat, rest as I require. end up driving more hours but get to better weather quickly.l I aimed for Benidorm as it is the nearest point on the Costas where Chuns could expect winter warmth. the costa Brava sites are mostly closed, and as you say, it would take a little longer to get down via Malaga and to (potentially) warmer weather. of course you do hit the coast before Benidorm, but I don't know that area very well.

Chuns, if you go Malaga way, I think the most popular stop is the campsite at Aranjuez near Madrid.

lovely town (lots off bodegas) and public transport into Madrid. :-S

Archived