Seatbelt slow to retract

Brock

The drivers seatbelt, fixed to the seat, has suddenly become slow to retract. It seems to lock OK when pulled to simulate a forward lurch.

I'm going to clean the mechanism, check the belt is not twisted anywhere, and possibly spray the whole belt with silicone spray [seems a popular remedy on car sites]. Then, depending on success, I might go to the local garage for them to have a look and possibly replace.

If you have experienced this problem and fixed it, I'd be grateful if you tell me how.

Think you will find it will work fine in an accident. It isn't just a case of pulling the seat belt out as fast as you can. It also works with rapid deceleration of the vehicle, ie heavy or hard breaking or say a crash type situation. Not that I recommend you try it just to see if it works.

Try a vacume cleaner I've known seat belts to jam with bits of wool from blankets which have been used on seats. If it doesn't free up and you are prepared to replace it you may try taking it apart to remove any blockages. perhaps WD40 maybe cleaner than silicon grease

Archived