Anyone recommend good cheap insurance?

Fiat Ducato

I am with Comfort, they tend to come out cheapest. However, it is essential that you read the small print, cover and conditions vary from company to company.

If you have a special requirement it is worth asking, they will often add it on for some more money.

H

Caravan Guard have always been cheapest for me. UK and European Breakdown cover.

I have never had to claim so cannot comment on how good they are but I have once used the UK breakdown service which was excellent.

This year Saga actually offered the cheapest quote but Caravan Guard matched it.

I'm not sure that 'good' and 'cheap' site comfortably together....I think you'll find you get what you pay for, in insurances and most things in life!!!! I tend to look for good value, and ensure that it provides what I want at a reasonable cost!

I have used Safeguard for years, and whilst I do check most years on renewal for comparisons, find they are as good as most, and better than many as they do included pan Europe breakdown. The only other company I used in the as was Comfort, and again they provided what I wanted at that time.

Interestingly, I may well change next time around, as in purchasing a new Motorhome for delivery in March *hopefully) that will come with FIAT breakdown, and I may well find a company which does not include this and perhaps is a little cheaper...

Isn't there likely to be a fundamental incompatibility between "good" insurance (i.e. without too many exclusions and willing to pay claims without too much nit picking) and "cheap" insurance, when the insurer might plan to minimise costs by handling claims meanly?

Best to look around, as it depends on different circumstances . Where you live, how old you are, your claims record , whether your fault or not!

We where with Caravan Guard, had an accident , not our fault as we where parked, they where Ok in helping us and getting the work done, but took some time to clear the claim. Now with Safe guard. Have tried Caravan Guard since, and find them most expensive of all quotes!

So look at lots of quotes!

PJay

henrypartridge - 2016-11-01 8:54 PM

I found all the mentioned companies very dear. Ended up with Camping and Caravanning Club Insurance. I recommend them wholeheartedly.

My motorhome was stolen in June and I have just had an interim payment. I have ordered a replacement van and I started to look at insurers,the Caravan Club wanted £450 for a very good policy. however the 'Friendly club' demanded an unfriendly £600, £450 seems to be the average!

StuartO - 2016-11-01 12:38 PMIsn't there likely to be a fundamental incompatibility between "good" insurance (i.e. without too many exclusions and willing to pay claims without too much nit picking) and "cheap" insurance, when the insurer might plan to minimise costs by handling claims meanly?

I have always thought along these lines and for many years I stayed with the same insurer. Insurers don't recognise quality customers in the same way we recognise a quality insurer.These days I do what many people do regardless of the past performance of my insurer, if they hike the annual up for no,other reason that an annual hike, I go shopping. I find a better price then look at inclusions which are sometimes not easy to precure.I could recommend Saga for thier performance during a claim, unfortunately they also become very expensive for what appears, 'No apparent reason'. When I conveyed my household insurance away from Saga they presumed me with mail.

I have used Caravan guard, safeguard, comfort, saga. All have been efficient but I have never had to claim.

Do NOT just decide on price but look at small print and check it covers your needs. E.g., I moved to comfort for Turkey but later switched from Safeguard to Saga for Iceland and Faroes as the breakdown and insurance cover on the others did not cover Faroes ( they all had to go away and check with their underwriters so ask and get response in writing if you have any queries).

If you rotate between these four you can't go far wrong, they usually up premiums after a year or two which also prompts me to change regularly. I don't think there is any advantage from being a "loyal" customer these days.

Good luck Peter

Noody - 2016-11-01 5:35 PM

I find this insurance thing to be very odd, I was with the companies recommended in this thread and paying £470 a year.

I now pay £170 a year to Saga though Sage started to get expensive on our cars so we moved the cars.

Indeed it is!! And my advice to the op would be to run quotes through ALL of them because whats good for one doesn't apply to the next person and so on. For example the company you are with, Saga, quoted me the highest figure for my van.....yet gave me the best house insurance deal!

I've insured with Scenic the past three years now as i've not yet found anyone to beat their annual renewal quotes. UK and European breakdown (AA) is included but also it's only inclusive if you want it which is good as that enables you to choose an alternative breakdown.

Whilst I can see some good recommendations can anyone let me know who can offer more than 180 days away but not fulltime and match that with the need for house insurance. Am having problem getting more than 60 days house insurance when left empty. Many thanks

I have a removable steering wheel that gets locked to the structure under the seats, no insurer regards this as a theft deterrent. Bunch of idiots.

It's all about what is on thier data-base and they haven't heard of removable steering wheels, it's not cheap either, probably twice the price of anything I could fit as an alarm and mostly people ignore alarms because they always alarm for no reason.

A tracker ? Costs are probably more but the discount is a risible amount.

So, how about it, you going to swipe my van and it doesn't have a steering wheel ? You'll need a grinder to get through that motorbike roller/cable lock making a lot of noise and you'll get a headache after I introduce you to BORIS. Maybe the police will arrive in time so you don't need to say hello to BORIS.

As with anything check the small print. Some of the Companies mentioned are indeed very good but beware the online quotations as these are cheap but do not include some of the things you may feel are important such as EU cover etc. You only find this out at a later date. Also check whether your No Claim bonus is valid. If you have had a car for many years with a good NCD check whether this is transferable, or if you have just bought a motorhome, then you are at square 1 for that vehicle.

Noody - 2016-11-02 6:22 PM

A tracker ? Costs are probably more but the discount is a risible amount.

Trackers are incredibly effective though only worth fitting on 'high end' cars or pricey motorhomes, in fact some insurance companies won't insure unless there is one fitted.

I watched a crime doc on telly the other day where an expensive Lexus 4x4 had been nicked in London. The police located it's tracker signal at a container port in Belgium but rather than chase, they left it and watched. Eventually it went on the move and ended up in Africa! They found it was parked up in a large yard so contacted the police there and they came back with information that not only was the Lexus there but around 20-30 other cars they suspected as being stolen. Range Rovers. Mercs, BMW's, the yard was full of them!

Working with the African police the UK police recovered the entire lot and had them all shipped back to the UK.

That's a positive story Paul, particularly at a time the police are getting a bad press for being selective about what they consider worth investigating.

I'm very-negative about insurance companies even though I haven't been stung by some of the tricks they get up to.

I think it was about thirty years ago when they started releasing information to the press that was meant to cover them for a massive hike in premiums, the first big release from what I remember gave statistics for fraud by males. Those statistics were significant though no press appeared about any actions taken against these fraudsters and whilst I'm sure insurance fraud is a problem my view is that small print has often been close to fraud.

Over the years I have read exclusions that excluded so many probables that the policy wasn't worth anything to most claimants.

Insurance underwriters became opportunists to trick thier customers rather than a response to fraud, if there was so much fraud how come we rarely hear or read about it. I have often suggested that low level fraud has been a public response to trickery.

fesspark - 2016-11-04 11:42 AM

Keith,are you having another Burstner?

No regrettably, nor a Rapido, which we had until 2007...funnily enough we saw it in the car park at Trago, Newton Abbott yesterday - first time since selling it 9 years ago!!!

Neither Burstner norRapido - both of which we were very pleased with - make what we want..which is something along the size of the old Rapido 710F....within 6m long and the narrower width of a PVC, with the short stalk mirrors...!.We also wanted the same layout , ie rear lounge/bed/living area

Whilst we know we are going to lose valuable space, we are getting a PVC, the Autotrail 610SE, which seem to match our need the best. Also looked at what was formerly called Autocruise Rhythm, now just known by some number or other with various options. However one thing thereh wasn't any option on was the fridge - which was tiny, and only operated on 240/12v, and that made it for us a definite no, no.

Been with Comfort 5 or 6 years premium rarely goes up by much more than a tenner, year before last it went down a couple of quid. They are the only insurance company I have found that don't hike the premiums once they have got your business.

Caravan Guard are discriminatory and must be in league with dealers as they refuse to insure personal imports. A bit odd as we are supposed to be in a common market (for the time being).

Archived