Murvi Morello

prewelli

I believe you own a 2002 Murvi Morello.

I understand what you are concerned about and I would have thought that - with the calorifier emptied of water - driving the vehicle should not present any problems, but you really need to confirm this with Murvi.

(What have you done iin previous winters when you’ve drained down the water system? Or have you not driven the motorhome during the period it has been ‘hibernating’?)

prewelli - 2016-11-04 10:00 AM

Yes we have driven it in previous years but I always worried! Yes all taps open. Murvi said ok to drive but I cant help worrying!

Don't! :-) It is the expansion of water as it freezes that causes damage so, if you have drained out the water there is none left so no risk of expansion or damage. If the taps are left open as previously, especially if you drive the van around for a few miles with all drain cocks also open before the hard weather arrives, you will reduce the amount of water left in pipes to a mere dribble, so allowing sufficient space for the dribble to expand without causing damage even if it should freeze.

The above advice applies generally to all motorhome water systems.

Even when the system is drained via gravity, there’s still a real possibilty of frost damage if the weather is very cold. Nowadays I drain down as advised in the motorhome’s handbook, blow compressed air through the system (including the toilet’s flush), drain the water-pump’s filter, empty the sink-waste ’traps’ and hope for a mild winter.

Murvi used to fit an unusual system that included a hot-water storage ‘calorifier’ and this needs to be treated with particular care. This 2013 discussion may be of interest

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/murviloverschat/31p_Q21AZUs

Yes, I should have added that we keep a low wattage heater on a frost 'stat in the van over winter, as an additional precaution. My omission. Apologies.

How far one needs to go beyond draining as far as possible inevitably depends on how severe a winters tend to be locally, and how the particular winter turns out.

Derek's "fire and forget" remedy would be well worthwhile in areas frequently subject to severe weather (but Herefordshire? :-)), whereas mine may be more appropriate in milder areas if the weather turns unusually cold.

As with everything, it is a matter of horses of courses.

Archived