Portsmouth HMS Victory -campsite advice

Violet1956

The OH is determined to take the van down to Portsmouth this week to see HMS Victory. The van will be our only transport apart from the bikes on the back. Anyone on here got any advice about where to stay with the van? Can we park the van up within walking distance of the historic dock?

Ideally would wish to have somewhere with hook-up. Don't fancy a long bike ride either in this weather brrrr!

Cheers

Veronica

colin - 2016-11-07 10:38 AM

HMS Victory is close to bus station. There are park and ride carparks, but check if they will take vans, we went for americas cup and barriers where left open at the park we went to but think they may be closed at other times.

Thanks Colin ..

There is a large car and coach parking area next to the D Day Museum with toilets. Its a fair way to HMS Victory and the Dockyard. Not sure if there are buses. There are lots of parking spaces on the roads close to the museum but have restrictions. There are disabled spaces alongside the sea front but would also have timed restrictions.

There are a few small car parks near the Dockyard but are narrow ! None would have hook-up available. I've seen vehicles parked on the road near the Dockyard but cannot confirm further.

You could try parking around the Dockyard area first (which is also the passenger ferry crossing to IOW so could be full) then as a last resort go to the D Day Museum. I've not looked or tried any web-sites.

Cycling to the dockyard, I'm unaware of cycle parking availability within the Dockyard.

Please note ... HMS Victory, the Warrior and the Mary Rose are all within a Royal Navy dockyard and are under tight security at all times.

The entrance to the dockyard is first through security then the payment area. You are then free to walk around the three Historic Ships plus artefacts, displays and museums. There is a dedicated eating area. To do everything is a day's visit !

portsmouth is horrendous for parking even in a car! You could park at Port Solent,marina, though you would not get ehu, but a bus into Portsmouth (you would need check no and time table)

most of the car parks have height barriers ! There is a park and ride facility, very close to the a 275 (think thats the no) but i doubt you could stay over night. Maybe google

i live here , but am not family with road no.s as we just drive to where we are going (if you know what I mead) There is a camp site at Titchfield which is Caravan club I believe. There are plenty of places to park night , a lot of people go to Port Solent, and plenty of eating places there

PJay

Will Pm you

Will86 - 2016-11-07 11:40 AM

There is a large car and coach parking area next to the D Day Museum with toilets. Its a fair way to HMS Victory and the Dockyard. Not sure if there are buses. There are lots of parking spaces on the roads close to the museum but have restrictions. There are disabled spaces alongside the sea front but would also have timed restrictions.

There are a few small car parks near the Dockyard but are narrow ! None would have hook-up available. I've seen vehicles parked on the road near the Dockyard but cannot confirm further.

You could try parking around the Dockyard area first (which is also the passenger ferry crossing to IOW so could be full) then as a last resort go to the D Day Museum. I've not looked or tried any web-sites.

Cycling to the dockyard, I'm unaware of cycle parking availability within the Dockyard.

Excellent tip thanks Will. I've looked at it on google earth. Easy bike ride - there is a cycle route I believe and it would be a reasonably short trip from there to the historic dockyard on the bikes. Not too worried about dedicated parking for the bikes. The OH will be in seventh heaven because we can do all the things you said in your second post. We'll find a site outside Portsmouth overnight.

Veronica

PJay - 2016-11-07 12:02 PM

portsmouth is horrendous for parking even in a car! You could park at Port Solent,marina, though you would not get ehu, but a bus into Portsmouth (you would need check no and time table)

most of the car parks have height barriers ! There is a park and ride facility, very close to the a 275 (think thats the no) but i doubt you could stay over night. Maybe google

i live here , but am not family with road no.s as we just drive to where we are going (if you know what I mead) There is a camp site at Titchfield which is Caravan club I believe. There are plenty of places to park night , a lot of people go to Port Solent, and plenty of eating places there

PJay

Will Pm you

Thanks PJay for all the advice -will take a look at Titchfield. I don't know how the PM thingy works though not sure you can PM me :-)

globebuster - 2016-11-07 12:23 PM

There is a campsite at Eastney - basically the other end of the seafront - try google maps.

It used to have an awful reputation though!

If you weren't so worried about a hook-up, there are plenty of places you could overnight.......

Pompey born and bred!

Thanks - we'll take a look at Eastney. Anywhere that had an awful reputation would probably suit us down to the ground depending on what it was for. I never cease to be surprised the Caravan Club accepted our application for membership. ;-)

Ref a PM (Private Message)

In the centre at the top of this page you're looking at is the wording 'inbox' with a number in brackets beside it. When someone sends you a PM the ( ) lights up in red with a number depending how many messages you have waiting to be read. Click on the red number then scroll down and read the sent message.. To answer do what it says and 'send'.

Will86 - 2016-11-07 12:55 PM

Ref a PM (Private Message)

In the centre at the top of this page you're looking at is the wording 'inbox' with a number in brackets beside it. When someone sends you a PM the ( ) lights up in red with a number depending how many messages you have waiting to be read. Click on the red number then scroll down and read the sent message.. To answer do what it says and 'send'.

Cheers Will. Now struggling to find a campsite that is open and has a hard standing for an MH within a reasonable travelling distance and not silly money because it has a lot of stuff we don't want or need. The OH is cleaning the van in the bitter cold so I suppose my lot as chief silver surfer aint too bad though.

Veronica

PJay - 2016-11-07 5:19 PM

violet If you get a chance, visit Fort Nelson (Royal Armories) They are at the top of Portsdown Hill just off the A27 Plenty of parking there, and a cafe Plenty of BIG boys toys as well!!

PJay

Noted PJay. Gotta keep the big boy happy!

Veronica

I would look at the CCC campsite in Southborne and catch the train into Pompey, Portsmouth Harbour station is a very short walk to the historic dockyard area -dont try and get in via the unicorn gate.....

cost is about £6 single on the train regular ticket train direct every hour or choice of 3 if you don't mind changing.

also would let you get into Chichester for a look around

thomsonjuk - 2016-11-09 2:05 PM

I would look at the CCC campsite in Southborne and catch the train into Pompey, Portsmouth Harbour station is a very short walk to the historic dockyard area -dont try and get in via the unicorn gate.....

cost is about £6 single on the train regular ticket train direct every hour or choice of 3 if you don't mind changing.

also would let you get into Chichester for a look around

Last time we tried to book at Southbourne, they would only do 2 nights minimum , and was expensive if not a member, so we did not go there. we where going to meet up with friends, instead they left their van at home and stayed with us , coming by car.

Violet1956 - 2016-11-07 2:36 PM

A big thanks again to everyone who helped me out on here. Have found a site in Gosport for our stay and will update this post after we visited to let you know how it was just in case you would find it good to know.

Veronica

Gosport is nice and flat for cycling; you can lock your bikes up by the ferry and that ferry takes you to very close to the Historic Dockyard entrance. Or you can take bikes over on the ferry if you want to further explore Portsmouth. Entrance to the historic dockyard though not made evident is free, but you need a free pass obtained at the paying desk. This does not give you access to Victory etc but you can walk around its dock, use cafe shops etc. Busing or driving from Gosport to Portsmouth is a slow long drag, the ferry is the only sensible option. The retail outlet Gun Wharf Quay on the Portsmouth side of the ferry can make a visit to Pompey and expensive day out ;-)

Ocsid - 2016-11-09 10:00 PM

Entrance to the historic dockyard though not made evident is free, but you need a free pass obtained at the paying desk. This does not give you access to Victory etc but you can walk around its dock, use cafe shops etc. ;-)

John

That's good advise as the Victory in particular can be seen in all its majesty from the outside. Also part of the Warrior. The Mary Rose is inside plus its hundreds of artefacts. My visits to the Dockyard have usually been as part of an entertainment group and were always in for free, so I was unaware of the individual costs. I believe I did say its a whole days visit so the £30 plus cost for all displays is certainly a full days outing, plus the distance between them all is an easy stroll.

Will

We're back!

All went very well. We managed to park the van on Queen Street (about £4 for four hours) a short stroll to the Historic Dock Yard. Plenty of space but I suppose it was because it was November. Of course 4 hours is barely enough to take in the Mary Rose but we did it in about 2 and a half and and about an hour for HMS Warrior. The Mary Rose is a must see. They've done a fantastic job on the exhibition. Bought an annual ticket at £33 each because we intend to go back to do HMS Victory and the other stuff one day and it covers so many Museums. D-Day Museum also excellent but the car park excludes vehicles over a ton except coaches. Brought home how un-motorhome friendly places can be in the UK. Luckily on-road parking nearby again plentiful no doubt due to the season.

The campsite we stayed on was the Kingfisher site at Stokes Bay. Would not be for fusspots as far as toilet block and shower facilities go -took us right back to camping in the 60s/70s but we're not fussy. A mixture of fixed caravan park dwellings with space for tourers to one side. £24 a night. Large bar and excellent restaurant with good standard fare. Extremely nice helpful people on reception and in the bar/restaurant. The locals were really friendly too. Handy for the Submarine museum which we really enjoyed today. Found it easy to park the van in the Submarine Museum car park.

So I think we fell in love with Pompey, there's so much to do. In the D-Day museum there was a chap who must be in his 90s who took part in the landings complete with all his medals including the Legion d'honneur with whom we chatted for a good while. Today at the Submarine Museum had a fantastic tour of HMS Alliance conducted by a former submariner. A retired Sailor on HMS warrior was full of typical Navy banter made us laugh.

Thanks to one and all with all your tips. We intend to get round to many other things next year the OH particularly wants to go into the Jutland Exhibition.

Veronica

Thanks Will.

As this thread is still running a couple of more points are worth mentioning.

1) As I said earlier Portsmouth is good for cycling and has actively embraced this with an extensive cycleway network plus you can download their cycleway map or get one posted to you;

http://www.visitportsmouth.co.uk/dbimgs/Files/Active%20Travel%20Map%202014.pdf

https://portsmouth.cyclestreets.net/

2) There is a very good P&R off the access motorway the M275 that can be used to visit without taking the vehicle into the city coming or leaving.

There is a height barrier but they comment on their faq webpage as follows;

“is there a height barrier installed at the park & ride car park?”

"Yes. It is 2.1m (6' 11") but is very rarely down. Please check our homepage or Twitter, we will post an update if the height barrier is down.

If you have a large vehicle that takes up more than one space, you will have to purchase a ticket for every space used. Motorhomes and minibuses can enter the site when the height barrier is not in use."

For information their:

Phone number is 0239 284 1347

http://parkandride.portsmouth.gov.uk/index.shtml

The P&R bus terminates right by the entrance to the Historic Dockyard and the Gun Wharf Quay shopping outlet harbour front.

John

Archived