Getting paint off gelcoat.

alanedwin

Hello all,

Got back from holiday to find my neighbour had treated our shared fence and the side of the motorhome with wood treatment!

Lots of small splashes of red on white grp.

So far I have tried tcut Polish, white spirit and wheel cleaner. Has anyone got any ideas of the best stuff to get it off?

Alan

Presumably it was fence stain....if so sorry I don't know as it will be well into the gel coat.

Using T Cut will remove the gel coat and make things worse.

If it was actual paint then white spirit and a lot of work with a cloth and possibly a small plastic scraper used gently!

PS....and one spot at a time!

I have often used cigarette lighter fuel (the petrol not the Butane gas) for similar cases of Oil, Paint or similar. It is highly refined and evaporates off quickly.

Edited to add as an afterthought. WD40 might be worth a try as it apparently has hundreds of uses. There is a website somewhere listing them all.

The stains may well have leached into the gelcoat.

Try Isoprop, or Acetone or if you know any printers some MEK - what they term blanket rejuvenator.

There are several brands of GRP stain removers [G10 is one example] that are good.

Whatever you do proceed with caution......you need to draw the marks out of the substrate, rather than ingrain it further.

I don't know when it happened yet, but my car was also in the drive and got even worse splashing all down one side. I managed to remove all of that with wheel cleaner but that maybe because the car had had one of those paint treatments done by the previous owner.

alanedwin - 2016-11-08 5:23 PM

I don't know when it happened yet, but my car was also in the drive and got even worse splashing all down one side. I managed to remove all of that with wheel cleaner but that maybe because the car had had one of those paint treatments done by the previous owner.

Dont know your relationship with your neighbor ? But i would at least inform him of the damage he has caused with his careless use of fence preservative, he could at least have warned you, to allow you to cover or move your vehicles. Very inconsiderate.

On Fibreglass gel-coat Autosleeper recommend a special polish, will do a search for its name

Got it, Feracla G3 , various grades available, doesnt damage the gel-coat.

Rayjsj - 2016-11-09 11:03 AM

alanedwin - 2016-11-08 5:23 PM

Dont know your relationship with your neighbor ? But i would at least inform him of the damage he has caused with his careless use of fence preservative, he could at least have warned you, to allow you to cover or move your vehicles. Very inconsiderate.

On Fibreglass gel-coat Autosleeper recommend a special polish, will do a search for its name

Got it, Feracla G3 , various grades available, doesnt damage the gel-coat.

What is needed is Farecla PROFILE Gel Coat Restorer and Wax.

I have just used it on the nearside of my van because of scratches caused by tree branches. It looks like new now.

You would still need to get the worst of the fence paint off first before using the Farecla. Some fence paint is water based and some is oil based. Without any information from the OP (or progress report), we are all in the dark and just guessing.

Sorry but it's been pi22ing down here this morning and I have not been able to get at it.

The irony is that I gave my neighbour the paint! He is not very savvy when it comes to diy etc.

I will update when I can get at it but thank you so much for all the advice.

Alan

Important to know whether the paint is water based or solvent based. If water based, with any luck, it should have stopped at the surface and should polish out. If solvent based, it may well have penetrated into the gel coat and may not polish out. If you supplied the paint, I guess you'll know. Have you thought of contacting the paint manufacturer for advice. Might be worthwhile, as they will know the formulation.

Archived