Getting ready for our two year trip around Europe

Mark-kelly

Hi all,

Getting ready for our two year trip around Europe, my wife Kelly and I are starting our trip by driving down to morocco in January to make the most of the winter sun hopefully spending a few months exploring the place until it warms up in the rest of Europe, we are then going to travel through Spain,France,Italy,Croatia, and end up in the Greek islands....

Can't wait...

Any useful tips always taken on board.

Agaric - 2016-11-11 5:56 PM

I take it that there is a trip in there back to dear old blighty for the MOT.

Have a good time.

How do you know that the van will need an MOT, the OP may have a new van that does not need one till 3 years old.

There will be ‘bureaucratic’ implications - insurance, vehicle-registraton, MOT etc. - when motorcaravanning continuously for an extended period outside the UK.

For example

https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk/for-12-months-or-more

Two years abroad is best considered as motorhome ‘full timing’ and, consequently, this website may be interest

http://www.motorhome365.com/

There’s also a lot of on-line stuff to browse through

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=motorhome+abroad+long+trip

http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/80/136/

Mark has said in earlier postings that he has worked on motorhomes all his adult life, which would be worth keeping in mind when offering him advice.

In August 2015 Mark was not a motorhome owner and was considering buying a Burstner or Hobby. Whatever vehicle he now has, it’s certain that it won’t have been UK-built. ;-)

Good luck on what sounds like a great adventure. We visited Croatia etc on the way back from Istanbul last year. I created a blog for my ramblings where there may or may not be bits there of help or interest to you

www.driverandchef.co.uk

Happy travels!

We have done all that but in usually 5-6 month trips, all very easy ,as stated MOTs are the only problem if your vehicle needs one as it has to be done in the UK and of course road tax must be maintained no Sorning if vehicle is on the road somewhere  , getting money from ATMs is no problem , you are supposed to notify Authorities if out of GB for longer periods but few do, I am not sure how you would stand with your vans Insurance , best to have a chat with the company about that ,they may insist on full timing Insurance, not cheap but neither was your vehicle? we have never had travel insurance just relied on the E 111 or whatever it is now called had emergency treatment with it in some Countries and never a problem, We are dedicated Wild campers and very rarely use a Campsite , our van is fully equipped  and we have never had a problem in the 20 years we have been travelling,enjoy your trip .

joe66 - 2016-11-11 7:53 PM

Have a good time.

How do you know that the van will need an MOT, the OP may have a new van that does not need one till 3 years old.

Sounds like I'm being reprimanded here?

Agaric - 2016-11-12 2:53 PM

joe66 - 2016-11-11 7:53 PM

Have a good time.

Sounds like I'm being reprimanded here?

No I don't think it was meant to be that. as the Op has not stated what van or how old it is, you have a very valid point

IMO some people do not think about ALL the scenarios that could happen, and about the overall effect of wandering off, for a very long period of time. i don't think a two year journey would be considered as a holiday, when it comes to ins/ health and any other details of life. It always sounds lovely to say I am going to live in van for X years, but what about after? It's not like a student going off travelling for a GAP year, where Mum and Dad will still be around to help!1

I don't envy them, I like travelling, BUT it is always nice to get back home after

PJay

Derek Uzzell - 2016-11-12 8:22 AM

There will be ‘bureaucratic’ implications - insurance, vehicle-registraton, MOT etc. - when motorcaravanning continuously for an extended period outside the UK.

For example

https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk/for-12-months-or-more

Two years abroad is best considered as motorhome ‘full timing’ and, consequently, this website may be interest

http://www.motorhome365.com/

There’s also a lot of on-line stuff to browse through

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=motorhome+abroad+long+trip

http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/80/136/

Mark has said in earlier postings that he has worked on motorhomes all his adult life, which would be worth keeping in mind when offering him advice.

In August 2015 Mark was not a motorhome owner and was considering buying a Burstner or Hobby. Whatever vehicle he now has, it’s certain that it won’t have been UK-built. ;-)

your a very observant man !! Thanks very much for your help..

Thanks for all your comments and advice, I do take all on board !!

I've actually done a bit of research of my own about what van to do our trip in and as some of you who already know my feelings on the British made vans it will come as no surprise that I have settled on one of the best constructed German vans available, the Phoenix has been our choice for a number of reasons, firstly because of the super winterised construction, the build quality is superb having no timber frame to rot,

Most of the German manufacturers have followed the likes of Concord and Phoenix in there construction nowadays but you will have to pay a higher premium for the luxury, personaly I think you get what you pay for, I'm no millionaire by a long shot and bought a 2003 Mercedes Phoenix.

I'm thinking of doing a blog on our two year trip around Europe and Morocco as I think most people who are thinking of a long venture are mostly looking for constructive info and advice as we are...

About six weeks to GO !!!!!

In December 2003, the German magazine Pro-Mobil published the findings of their owners' satisfaction survey. The highest ranked make was Phoenix (206.4 points), followed by Carthago (188.4) and Concorde (184.2). Hymer was well down the list (about 8th I think).

It needs to be said that the number of Carthago and Concorde owners that responded to the survey was quite small and - if I remember correctly - only two Phoenix owners answered. However, those Phoenix owners were clearly very very satisfied with their motorhomes.

If you are extended touring in warmer climes, think carefully about the batteries?

This is because internal corrosion is accelerated the higher the temperature making some battery life very short and good batteries can be very expensive abroad.

Using a Motorhome battery with just an 8 degree rise above 25 degrees C can shorten some batteries lives by 50%, particularly so with Gel and AGM. Remember, the temperature inside a battery compartment can be several degrees above the outside temperature, so easily reaching 40C in somewhere like Spain.

Select a battery that isn't prone to internal corrosion. Also consider fitting exactly the same battery under the bonnet, so one battery can be swapped with the other in an emergency?

The Varta LFD 90 makes a better Starter Battery than many dedicated Starter batteries and is the same physical size usually chosen by Merc and Fiat. Almost all the Starter batteries we have replaced with Varta's have been lower power than the Varta's 850 cranking amps.

I don't know about Morroco, but Starter batteries in Australia typically have half the life of a UK battery, so clearly temperature can be an issue. See chart below.

If the Motorhome is a 2003 it is less likely to be optimised for more than one big battery : lower power Alternator, smaller capacity mains charger, etc so do your research before being tempted to fit more than one habitation battery?

Having an absolutely perfect Starter battery may take what can be a big load off the charging systems, giving the habitation battery the best of the charge.

A Starter battery that is 5 years old could take a significant chunk of your charging ability away from the habitation battery. When a 5 year old Starter battery in suddenly used in elevated temperatures it is not unusual for failure to occur. Just as they can when exposed to lower than average temperatures.

The Habitation battery generally gets a hard life, a Starter battery an easy one, if they are both Varta LFD90's swap them around after 12 months to spread the load across the two batteries.

The battery is the Heart of your Motorhome, only when you lose all 12v do people tend to appreciate how essential it is.

1046665656_VartaSilvertemperaturedessertchart.jpg.bd74f876ca2ad362cc2d4fc9d18f5ca1.jpg

Derek, I bet you a 1p, sorry not a big gambling man :) , that despite the vehicles size the Starter battery fitted from new in that Motorhome is less powerful than a Varta LFD90?

Despite it being a Deep Cycle Leisure battery, the LFD 90 is a great Starter battery, thanks to it's technology and it doesn't lose power as it ages to the extent others do.

Archived