France or Scotland 2017

tonyg3nwl

Where to is the question.

I would prefer to go south, but other half wants to head north

Same distance in either direction, so fuel costs balance out

Ferry and holiday insurance to go south, not needed going north.

Weather equal chances.

Parking and sites in transit..club cl and cs , going north, Aires and France Passion going south.

South cheaper. Offsets ferrycosts.

Language..French south, gaelic north???.

Options. ???.

Where to .. to be decided..who wins..to be seen.

Tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2016-11-20 7:44 PM

Weather equal chances.

Parking and sites in transit..club cl and cs , going north, Aires and France Passion going south.

Options. ???.

Tonyg3nwl

no contest !!!! south everytime for me love france ---austria--italy --spain the choice is endless.

Weather equal chances.

Options. ???.

Tonyg3nwl

We tend to go to either of those.

I'd agree with most of what you say - except " Weather - equal chances "

It's very rare indeed for it to be warmer in Scotland than it is in France - as long as you don't hang around on the north coast of France ( i.e. near GB )

Also depends what you like to do when you get there - never enjoyed swimming off Scottish beaches that much - although it can be quite invigorating.

;-)

As enthusiastic M/h for over a decade we have explored most of near Europe and beyond but only went to the Outer Hebrides this year despite the fact that it is (comparatively speaking) on our doorstep. We wished we had done it sooner. Start at Barra and work your way to the North of Lewis. Harris has beaches to rival the Caribbean so If you like scenery and the opportunity to wild camp then give Scotland a go. Its part of our United Kingdom and Brexit may make it more crowded as a holiday destination if European travel becomes less accessible.

The so called North Coast 500 is also showing signs of increasing the popularity of Scotland :-

"There's nothing quite like the freedom of the long open road. Never-ending back roads, wide meandering country tracks and beautiful bends through some of Scotland's finest coastal scenery are just a few things you can expect along the North Coast 500 - Scotland's answer to Route 66".

You may also be surprised to find the number of foreign especially German and Netherlands camper-vans you encounter. They have been into the secret for years.

Gaelic is not widely spoken except in the Hebrides but nearly all native Gaelic speakers also speak English so "not having the Gaelic" is not an issue except that place names on maps can be in Gaelic. Sometimes the translation will be obvious but not always (all part of the fun).

Weather can be mixed (as with anywhere) and the midge pronounced MID-GEE can be a pain. Avon skin so soft is used by RM Commandos as a deterrent. Really ! We have a friend who was until recently a Commando.

If you have a specific route you want to bounce off me or any other queries PM me.

malc d - 2016-11-20 8:19 PM

It's very rare indeed for it to be warmer in Scotland than it is in France - as long as you don't hang around on the north coast of France ( i.e. near GB )

)

Depends where you go. In the far north west of Scotland is Inverewe Gardens. Because its warmed by the gulf stream exotic plants grow there that wouldn't survive in large areas of France. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverewe_Garden

Weather equal chances.

Options. ???.

Tonyg3nwl

Depends when you intend to travel?

You can be in France in 3 hours , fast cat Poole/Portsmouth.

I know where my choice would be.!1

PJay

No brainer for me Go South Young Man. B-) Have had our van for 4 years and spent at least 20 weeks a year over the channel and love it but Scotland can be fantastic if you get the weather just a shame that its so hit and miss. You can get bad weather in Europe but you can always drive to find better weather.

We plan on going north but not yet.

Wildcamping in Scotland is allowed, but the locals are getting annoyed by inconsiderate campers abusing this right, and are putting up notices. These can be ignored in the most part.

So if you've never done it before, do it now!

We did the NC500 and joined Scottish Wildcampers on Facebook who have an incredible list of places to overnight in the wilderness and on empty beaches. One day in June on the north coast we visited 23 beautiful beaches and saw 18 people! Dolphin watching, stags and eagles and the dogs got fed up of running in the surf.

A steady 14-18C and no midges, two days of rain in 16 days and unforgettable experiences.

Go for it.

This year was the first in the past 8 that we didnt go south into Mainland Europe. In the end we spent six weeks on the Isle of Arran and then later on 7 weeks on Flamborough Head on the Yorkshire coast so an entirely different kind of trip.

Having "done" in the past most of Scotland and 18 Scottish Islands before we got a big motorhome and started touring Europe I would say the main disappointment with Scotland apart from the midges which can seriously ruin your day is the weather. The pull of mainland Europe is just too strong. Better weather, better food, better scenery.

Depends how long your going for of course.

I would argue as well that you dont officially need travel Insurance for Scotland or France. Ive never bothered.

Hi folks, thanks for all the comments.

Regarding midgies, we went to skye a few years ago, and I am convinced someone sent them an alert to say we were coming. No sooner than we had crossed the bridge, and stopped to take aphoto, they filled the car, our hair, and every other orifice, and there was no escape, even by emptying several cans of mozzy killer.

Regarding weather, we survived 50 mph gale ovelooking towards orkney, as we opened the van door to go fo a walk, it was snatched out of my hand,and slammed back violently against the body. Fortunately no damage..

Fuel cost on west coast was 10 p alitre up compared to inverness.

In 1961, I was posted up there to the Black Isle, where I met and subsequently married my wife, still going today, so cant complain.!.

Considering springtime, april or may, duration to be decided, and weather dependent.

Tonyg3nwl

Regarding midges. There is a good midge forecast here https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/

Its not on at the moment as the midge season is finished but its pretty good. It was one of the reasons we stayed on Arran this year so long as it was virtually midge free for six weeks but looking at the forecasts further up the west coast and especially around Fort William was just rife with them.

We went up to Loch Ness using the East Coast route end of June 2015. We stopped at Findhorn Bay on the way back boy was it COLD. I have been warmer on the Lincs Coast in January. No signs of anyone. :-S Certainly no one in the sea. We used the Mossi tracker which is why we didn't bother going further North or over to the West Coast. SWMBO gets bitten to death.

Depends on why you motorhome. When we had the boys, we toured the continent to broaden their understanding. That's a plus for the continent over Scotland except we don't like it too hot; 20C is more than enough for us.

Now the boys have moved on, we motorhome to support our hobbies. None of these require us to go abroad. Our main joint hobby is British History which is harder to study when in France [we did some of the battlefields when the boys came with us].

I suggest you don't compare France with Scotland. Agree what you want from your holiday and then assess each country against that. Afterall, if you want to explore Greek Mythology, then I doubt visiting France or Scotland would be of any benefit.

Pick your time and places well and you can avoid the midges in Scotland.

I have the same decision to make. We have just returned after a short break around Loch Lomond area and with the Euro so low in Value Scotland is in front at the moment . We usually take 2 6 week breaks out in euro land May and end of August last year we where surprised at the hike in prices from May.

May is the most popular month for visiting Scotland to get reasonable weather and avoid the midges. Do keep your fuel tank topped up filling stations can be elusive. We used to go a lot as we enjoyed hill walking. Given it up now as we are both in our seventies and no longer really up,to it.

I think you should stop trying to compare the 2 areas. They are totally diferent and should be considered as separate destinations. Go to one or the other for the local reasons, not whether one is better etc. People make their own choices based on their preferences and often do oen one year and the other the next.

However, list your priorities and then make the choice as the 2 areas have different priorities. The other thing is that 'unfortunately' the proliferation of campervans has meant that the remoter parts of Scotland are not not so 'lonely' and can often be like in a campsite on a Bank Holiday sunday. Our own fault by having a hobby that everyone is jumping on.

Hi Again, I am not really trying to compare, as we have done both over the years. however the last 10 years have been southbound, and other half is very keen to go back north to her homeland to see how it has changed. Her immediate family connections are all in the cemetery these days, so no living relatives to claim priority.

we are both pushing close to sell by dates, and as my wife doesn't speak any French, is concerned that she might be stranded in France.

Should the worst happen, how could she arrange necessary formalities , and get back home.

morbid I know, but risk it or stay at home waiting for goddo.. ?

why worry, get on with what is left and enjoy it.

tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2016-11-23 2:44 PM

we are both pushing close to sell by dates, and as my wife doesn't speak any French, is concerned that she might be stranded in France.

Should the worst happen, how could she arrange necessary formalities , and get back home.

tonyg3nwl

Travel insurance ?

:-|

tonyg3nwl - 2016-11-23 2:44 PM .... and as my wife doesn't speak any French, is concerned that she might be stranded in France. Should the worst happen, how could she arrange necessary formalities and get back home.....

Providing you have arranged decent travel insurance and breakdown cover (for exaample by not buying on price alone) then one or at most two phone calls by your wife should trigger all the help she could wish for.  Both she and the motorhome will be repatriated in a kindly way, so although you wouldn't want it to happen, the support available should be first class.

Secondly you can help her to understand that France is a straightforward place to visit these days and that your mobile phone works perfectly in France providing you plan ahead and ensure that it is enabled for use there.  For example my mobile is on Three and their "Feel at Home" service means thsat all calls to UK, send or receive, are completely free of charge.

Many motorhomers feel nervous about a first trip abroad but it really is easy and painless these days.  It might get a bit more complicated once we leave the EU but that's at least 2 years away.

Colin Leake - 2016-11-22 7:14 PM

May is the most popular month for visiting Scotland to get reasonable weather and avoid the midges.

We were told that May was a good month to visit Scotland for reasonable weather and avoiding the midges.

We left the south of England in balmy conditions. Once we crossed the border the rain and wind commenced and stayed with us for our 4 week trip. Possible not typical but just be prepared for inclement weather.

Robbo - 2016-11-23 4:41 PM

Colin Leake - 2016-11-22 7:14 PM

May is the most popular month for visiting Scotland to get reasonable weather and avoid the midges.

We were told that May was a good month to visit Scotland for reasonable weather and avoiding the midges.

We left the south of England in balmy conditions. Once we crossed the border the rain and wind commenced and stayed with us for our 4 week trip. Possible not typical but just be prepared for inclement weather.

You must have been unlucky at that time of year you should have expected at least two fine days. Seriously we were usually lucky with the weather but we did have one memorable day when record winds made it impossible to walk outside and the whole of Scotald was shutdown with roads blocked by fallen trees. Despite this some idiots still set off in big motorhomes or towing caravans!

AdventureTess - 2016-11-24 8:27 AM

France absolutely. If for nothing else than the food!

Scottish food - :-S

French foood - :-D

Totally disagree . i have never had a decent meal in France, except when cooked by my (late) english friend. Can't stand Moules either! I can't really comment on Scottish food, but I doo like Kippers!

PJay

Archived