Habitation Doors easy to break In ..

QFour

fitted LEDs to all doors as well as sensors ( Garage & Habitation ) when fitting rear view camera as-well as PIR Sensors that set off the house alarm I know it will not stop "them" breaking in but if it happens all hell will break loose

All powered by solar panel ( 100 w )

1502279125_nightLEDs005.thumb.JPG.354cf54aeba2d775c7ddc7d4d6f6adf2.JPG

I have just one, 7 year old Labrador that loves everyone.....unless they try to come in without asking first, then she becomes like a lioness protecting her cubs. SCARY, also we rotate the drivers seat and padlock it like that. That seems to have it all taken care of ? Unless the dog is on her walk.

YEP !

1 In bedroom over the garage motors alarm

3 in lounge area, -- 2 that's 1 each side to motors alarm ( one on the door & one on the window opposite ) & one to the House alarm

2 in the cab one on each door to motors alarm

1 in the over cab bed to motors alarm

1 in the shower pointing at the window to motors alarm

2 in the garage one to the house alarm & one to motors alarm

then the doors magnetic switches

4 in the garage 2 on each door ( 2 on each door + 2 jamb locks on each door ) magnetic switches to the motors alarm

1 on the entrance door to the motors alarm

1125865057_jamblock.JPG.a6fe3804bc749d93a654eaf3c85ffa41.JPG

Rayjsj - 2016-11-24 8:44 PM

I have just one, 7 year old Labrador that loves everyone.....unless they try to come in without asking first, then she becomes like a lioness protecting her cubs. SCARY, also we rotate the drivers seat and padlock it like that. That seems to have it all taken care of ? Unless the dog is on her walk.

yes 2 dogs go with us when we are out & about & yes I to turn the drivers seat round & lock it

The question I have always asked myself about alarms and their effectiveness is, if they are designed to ward off intruders, how does the potential intruder know there is an alarm fitted? If the alarm is to be a deterrent then it needs to be clearly apparent because, if it doesn't deter a break in then the incident can be costly to repair anyway even if the intruder runs off once the alarm goes off.

Obviously, the main part of the deterrent is the red flashing light indicating an alarm is present. However, on our Fiat Chausson (fitted with a scorpion cat 1 alarm when new) the flashing light is on the dashboard and not visible from outside once the Remis blinds are drawn. So of little deterrent value really.

I have often seen Motorhomes (usually fitted with motorhome specific alarms from people like Strikeback) that have red flashing LED's fitted in places visible around the vehicle like the headlight/tailight clusters and always thought this is a much more effective deterrent. So much so that, if the van had not already had the alarm fitted, I may have just had switched LED warning lights fitted in the door handles to deter thieves. In fact, I may have that done anyway to improve the deterrent value of the present alarm.

David

David Lloyd - totally agree with your comments about having external LED's as a warning that the alarm is active.

My previous van had the Strikeback system fitted with red flashing LED's fitted on front and rear bumpers.

Current van came with a Cobra alarm with red flashing LED on dashboard near drivers window. At night I leave the side blind open so it is visible, although admittedly not ideal.

Like you, thinking of installing switched LED's in the front grille although placing them on the doors would be even better (providing adjacent neighbours didn't complain) :-D

the flashing L.E.Ds over the habitation door on the dash & rear window can be seen when the vehicle is locked down for the night but the ones on the side of the habitation door & on the garage doors do not flash & THE ALARM CONTROL PANEL CAN BE SEEN AS WELL

2048222021_nightLEDs005.thumb.JPG.1206175e34f68518f4bfe8dc4be4870c.JPG

david lloyd - 2016-11-25 9:26 AM

The question I have always asked myself about alarms and their effectiveness is, if they are designed to ward off intruders, how does the potential intruder know there is an alarm fitted?

David

Thats why I put swtiches in the door handles to set off the alarm when the door handle is pulled, whether or not the door is locked, and BEFORE the thief has smashed his way in.

(And No false alarms because the only thing that sets the alarm off is pulling a door handle.)

1434440494_X250alarmswitch.thumb.jpg.fba1be314793c76143b65c0e7631782d.jpg

I think all these ideas are laudably and very inventive and give a great deal of comfort and satisfaction... But (there is always a but) when it comes right down to it none of it makes your 'van 100% secure. If they can break into shipping containers your 'van doesn't stand a cat in hell's chance let's be honest and realistic here. The only deterant is 1 an AK47 machine gun or, and this is what is used in the States 2, a PIR triggered pepper oil spray which are brilliant in the confines of a European campervan, Motorhome. At 500 to 600$ a throw they are not cheap. But sadly like the AK47 they are not available to the Europeans due to European legislation some years ago. Don't you just love them! Ho well maybe after Brexit ??

If your vehicle, your house, or any space is deemed worth entering then someone will, regardless of any gadgets.

Near where I live there's one house that stands out as being above average and sure enough its been a target twice. Yet the house next door to it is passed every time although its filled with costly goodies and where some doors are never locked.

A grubby M/H is less likely to be a target than a polished one.

RogerThat - 2016-11-25 9:19 PM

What about one of those smoke screens? Like the banks use?

Then the poor dog will not be able to see anything to get her teeth into.

Like the idea of the switch on the door handle. The only place we have ever had anyone try the doors was when we parked in Lymington down near the Harbour outside the posh houses. We also park at Sandbanks sometimes. Anything round there is far more attractive than a MH.

Magnets on the door locks do not work as the cover is GENUINE Stainless. Key turned up today to get the door locks out so a little job for next week.

*-)

QFour - 2016-11-25 9:57 PM

Like the idea of the switch on the door handle. The only place we have ever had anyone try the doors

I have had someone try a door on several occasions. I might not have known about it without the alarm switches. (The alarm only goes for a minute but flashes to show its been triggered) Couple of times over the years I was sleeping in the van, by the time I had got up and looked out there was no one near the van. But I know it wasn't a false alarm because only pulling a door handle triggers it.

Archived